Apple Picks Up Numerous '.Camera' and '.Photography' Domain Names

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 6, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last week, we noted that Apple has registered several new ".guru" domains, part of an initial batch of new generic top-level domains (gTLDs) being launched over the coming weeks and months.

That rollout is continuing this week, and Apple has wasted no time securing a number of additional domains in the new .camera and .photography families. Among the new domains registered by Apple:

- aperture.camera and aperture.photography
    - apple.camera and apple.photography
    - facetime.camera and facetime.photography
    - imovie.camera and imovie.photography
    - iphoto.camera and iphoto.photography
    - isight.camera and isight.photography
    - photobooth.camera and photobooth.photography
    - retina.camera and retina.photography

Other new gTLDs opening for registration this week include .equipment, .estate, .gallery, .graphics, and .lighting. While Apple has apparently placed blocks to prevent registration of its own trademarks under these new gTLDs, such as apple.estate and macbook.lighting, the company so far appears to have only pursued active registrations in the .camera and .photography families.

As with the new .guru domains registered by Apple last week, the company's new .camera and .photography domains are not yet active, and it is unclear whether Apple has plans to actively use them in the future.

Article Link: Apple Picks Up Numerous '.Camera' and '.Photography' Domain Names

2. macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

can we just keep .com, these are getting weird now.

3. macrumors 65816

musika

4. macrumors 68020

keysofanxiety

Still no weirder than .onion ;)

5. macrumors member

Just think of it as adding more area codes;-). It drives me nuts and I can't see the benefit beyond it returning in a search for just the name - and with the right SEO management, what comes after the 'dot' will be irrelevant in ranking. But that is pretty big benefit.

6. stiligFox, Feb 6, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2014

macrumors 6502a

stiligFox

Speaking of Aperture...! please Apple, pretty please? With caramel apple sauce on top?

7. macrumors newbie

(Disclaimer: I'm part of the movement to introduce top level domains everyone can identify with, and reduce the regulation to the "right of the dot")

You'll wonder what the internet was like without self-identifying top level domains one day. The internet is still in it's infancy and as fast as it's growing - more top level domains.

They say over half of small businesses and the vast majority of people don't have websites. We're simply trying to change that.

8. macrumors regular

Was there a fear that it was going anywhere? Besides, if this is weird for you on the internet then be carful with your searches...

9. AngerDanger, Feb 6, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2014

macrumors 68000

AngerDanger

I can't wait until domains become as varied as full URLs, so you can have a palindromic URL, like asanta.atnasa, dennis.sinned, and… that's all I can think of.

10. macrumors 68000

Tankmaze

11. macrumors 68000

Parasprite

I never found .onion to be particularly weird. Okay maybe in content, but I won't go there...

.biz on the other hand, now THAT'S weird.

12. macrumors regular

Wow I'm so behind the times. There's .XXX now!

13. macrumors 603

I wish they did indeed take shooting and camera tech much more seriously. I sorely miss the following from iPhone cameras:

- Optical image stabilization (not the current electronic joke)
    - stereo audio (or even with more channels - the Lumia 1520 uses 4 mikes for better audio source separation in the resulting stereo downmix; Apple could add quadro or 5(.1) recording)
    - 1080p60 (let alone 120)
    - RAW support
    - manual settings (even if "only" via third-party apps; currently, both Android and Windows Phone are far better in this dept)
    - dual (PiP) shooting of both stills and video

14. macrumors 6502a

chfilm

Instead of wasting time on stuff like that, they should get on the raw processor of Aperture which absolutely sucks a**!

I was forced to switch to lightroom, because it just makes raws look soo much better, especially at high isos.

15. macrumors 6502

They're probably doing a complete re-write of Aperture, like they did with Final Cut Pro and iWork.

In other words, get ready for impressive features... and frustrating missing features that will slowly be replaced.

16. macrumors 68000

cclloyd

Soon to come: http://macrumors.techforum.

----------

And if I had the choice, I would keep it .com. But the encrypted url scheme doesn't really allow it sadly.

17. macrumors 6502

How about eliminating domain squatting? Then it wouldn't be so hard for small business owners to find a unique name within an existing TLD.

18. macrumors 6502a

chfilm

that would be really welcome. Full nMP support please!

19. macrumors 68020

Mumbo jumbo nobody cares about.

20. macrumors 68000

BillyBobBongo

The only one that may have some value is .web

...the rest are just nonsense.

21. macrumors 68000

Parasprite

I care about it, just not in a phone.

You'd think he'd complain about it not having a dedicated graphics card and Blu Ray... :rolleyes:

22. macrumors 68000

oneMadRssn

If that were really the goal of GTLDs, then registration would be free for individuals / small businesses. If anything, GTLDs make it more expensive, more complicated, and thus have a chilling effect on small business website creation.

23. macrumors 68020

Sorry but I rather go to apple.com then to apple.toaster

even macbook.apple is just weird.. too much to remember.

ICANN needs to prevent squatters or people who just buy domains to have them. After 12 months, or without records stating significant development and completion within 24 months, that the domain(s) will be removed from ownership and made available again.

24. macrumors newbie

Wouldn't you use this argument with everything? "If it's for the better, it'd be free"

To each their own opinion, it'll be one that's easy to see the effects of in a few years to come.

25. macrumors 68000

BillyBobBongo

I can't Up-Vote you enough on this. My .com was sniped out from under my nose over ten years ago, and it's never been used. What a waste!