Apple Planning 'All-New' iPod Touch and iPod Nano for September Launch?

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 23, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who has in the past offered remarkably accurate information on Apple's product plans, today released a new report addressing Apple's upcoming release plans, indicating that the company is planning for a very busy September-October schedule.

Kicking off the schedule of launches are said to be "all-new" iPod touch and iPod nano models. Details on the new models are currently slim, but the revised iPod touch is said to include the new in-cell touch display technology that has been rumored by several sources for the next-generation iPhone.

Overall, Kuo believes that strong quarter-over-quarter growth in iPod sales for the third calendar quarter will be driven by the new iPod nano rather than the iPod touch, which will see constrained supplies due to the move in-cell touch display technology.
    Apple of course did not make any substantial hardware changes to the iPod touch last September, electing to merely add white models and lower the entry-level pricing from $229 to $199. Consequently, the iPod touch retained the A4-based hardware introduced in September 2010 even as the iPhone 4S moved to the new A5 system-on-a-chip.

Mockup of redesigned iPod nano with oblong body and home button
    Apple likewise did not offer any major changes to the iPod nano last September, merely lowering pricing and rolling out a software update for the line. One recent rumor has claimed that the iPod nano will be seeing a complete redesign with an oblong body, rectangular screen, and home button similar to that found on iOS devices. It is unclear, however, whether Kuo's sources are hearing similar details or if they only have generic information about a forthcoming redesign.

Article Link: Apple Planning 'All-New' iPod Touch and iPod Nano for September Launch?
  2. macrumors newbie

Jun 16, 2009
    They really don't know what to do with the nano.
  3. Caliber26, Jul 23, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2012

macrumors 65816

Sep 25, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    That looks more like an iZune than an iPod Nano. :rolleyes:
  4. macrumors newbie

Sep 11, 2010
  5. macrumors 65816

Sep 9, 2008
    Awesome. Now just cap off 2012 with the Apple TV!
  6. macrumors regular

Mar 28, 2011
    Perth, Australia
    That's one of the least likely renders I've seen this year.
  7. macrumors 6502a

Aug 1, 2010
    And no one knows what's up with the iMac everyone hears about mobile devices and zero on the desktops
  8. macrumors regular

Sep 6, 2003
    The Frigid Wasteland of MN
    We have no clue but feel like we have to say something.
  9. macrumors 65816

Sep 25, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    I do: Bring back the click wheel and give the entry level model a minimum of 16GB.
    When it comes to design, the 4th and 5th generations have been the best so far.
  10. macrumors regular

Aug 28, 2011
    What was old is new again. If that mock-up is anywhere near close to the next gen nano, mark me down. The current postage stamp thing is just awful...
  11. macrumors 604

Sep 17, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    Well something needs to happen to the iPod line soon...
  12. macrumors newbie

Jul 23, 2012
    ipod touch is going to be updated to 7" display

ipod touch will be upgraded to 7" and rename to ipad mini.
  13. macrumors 68040

Jun 23, 2010
    I'm thinking about a classic. Getting tired of taking stuff off my nano so I can add new stuff.
  14. macrumors 6502

Jun 21, 2004
    Of course they know what to do. The furor surrounding the Pebble, and earlier such devices from Motorola and Sony, show their is a massive demand for an iPhone watch.

The problem is NOT not knowing what to do, it is getting the tech in place to do it RIGHT. The predecessors have all suffered from one or more of
    - not waterproof
    - need to be charged too often (a watch-like device comes with an expectation of infrequent to never charging --- the bare minimum I think you can get away with us once a week)
    - requires headphones (obviously you WANT such a device to communicate with both your phone and your earphones wirelessly with no cables involved)
  15. macrumors member

Dec 28, 2010
    I think putting the iPod touch back to the iPhone-minus-the-phone and keeping the price the same would be just fine for this upgrade. It just needs a better camera and updated internals. (plus the rumored bigger screen)

The iPod nano could just use a capacity bump and slight price drop, and maybe a slightly higher resolution display. I would be fine with that. A slightly bigger screen and more battery would also be welcomed.

The shuffle needs a capacity bump and that's it. Maybe a thinner design, more battery life, or more colors.

The classic needs a capacity bump, a move to flash storage, a redesign, and/or a lower price. Pick two or axe it.
  16. macrumors 68040

Apr 3, 2009
    Yeah, those mockups made me think "Microsoft" in my head.
  17. macrumors member

Jan 8, 2007
    Which is not a bad thing, the Zune HD is/was a gorgeous piece of hardware and feels great in the hand.

I agree, those were very functional. I would also not mind if the new nano would be something like the Sansa Clip. I just want a small player with a screen (nothing fancy) and physical buttons or a click wheel.
  18. macrumors 68020

Aug 5, 2004
    Catskill Mountains
    I like the look of it. Reminds me of the 2nd gen nano, tall and skinny. I still love those, take one of them in the car all the time.
  19. G51989, Jul 23, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2012

macrumors 68030

Feb 25, 2012
    NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
    Nothing wrong with that, sure the Zune was a failure.

But have you ever used/held a Zune HD? the build quality is incredible, the OLED screen is amazing, the touch screen responsiveness blows a touch out of the water. Id even put it above the iPod touch in build quailty. Its a shame the ZuneHD never went anywhere, amazing battery life, one of the best music stores around, sweet UI.
  20. macrumors 6502a

Jul 2, 2010

I hear people saying Zune, but doesnt this kind of look like a mini-Nokia Lumia 800?....
  21. macrumors 68040

Jun 23, 2010
    To me it looks like the 4th gen Nano, with a touch screen.
  22. macrumors newbie

Sep 3, 2007
    Yes, I'm sure Apple is going to take all the old refurbished 4th generation iPod Nanos, replace the click wheel with a home button, and try to sell it. A toddler could think of a more realistic mock-up than that.

There is no way that's the next generation nano. No way.

23. macrumors 65816

Jul 9, 2011
    iPods should focus on music and audio. I would like an iPod nano that is similar to the mockup that includes built in AM/ FM radio as well as an included internet streaming radio app or the ability to download a comparible app and other simple apps, which would require wifi. But..... not holding my breath.
  24. macrumors member

Mar 10, 2012
    The iPod touch is a really useful product (I use one regularly), however I can't see Apple updating it with mammoth specs, like whats in the iPhone 4S because they are selling way more iPhones than iPod Touches and the iPhone needs the additional processing power because it's a phone, connected to a cellular network.

And the rendition doesn't fit in with the story. A 4" screen would have an extra row of apps, to fit in line with the iPhone 5 4" screen rumours.
  25. macrumors regular

Jun 25, 2010
    Austin, TX