Apple Planning Expansion to Seven-Building Sunnyvale Campus

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 21, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has agreed to lease a new seven-building campus in Sunnyvale, CA, where it could move up to 1,450 employees, according to the San Jose Mercury News.

[​IMG]
    Image via San Jose Mercury News​
    According to city records, Apple is currently only listed as a tenant in one of the buildings, but plans to occupy the six other buildings as well. Additionally, building permit applications have been filed for all seven of the buildings for "interior improvements", though those must be approved by Sunnyvale's city planning commission.

The new Sunnyvale campus is yet another part of Apple's plan for expansion, alongside a new two-building Santa Clara campus that would hold 1,200 employees and Apple's already iconic Spaceship Campus, which will hold around 14,000 employees and is currently under construction.

Article Link: Apple Planning Expansion to Seven-Building Sunnyvale Campus

2. macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Can we please get a mockup of the buildings? :cool:

3. macrumors 6502a

lolkthxbai

There you go.

Attached Files:

4. macrumors 6502a

lol!

5. macrumors 68030

Damn... that's a lot of employees.

14,000 at the Spaceship
    1,450 in Sunnyvale
    1,200 in Santa Clara

How many employees are at 1 Infinite Loop right now? And how many will stay there instead of going to the Spaceship or other locations?

6. macrumors 6502

I love that mac rumors has become a bit of a joke now.

I feel like we should have an 'iphone mock up' round up page, and also a separate 'mock up' buyers guide since they are being written about just as much as actual products.

7. macrumors 603

thekev

I'll assume that is meant to be an orchard.

8. macrumors 65816

I like that you included Angela Ahrendts in the mockup. Very nice.

9. macrumors G5

Rogifan

It still amazes me that if you strip out retail workers Apple actually has fewer employees than Google.

10. macrumors 6502

Funny thing is, those buildings you list are only a SMALL part of the office space that Apple is currently renting in Sunnyvale and Cupertino.

11. macrumors 6502a

lolkthxbai

Yes! If you look closely in the mockup you'll notice Apple still intends to leave the earth better than they found it.

12. macrumors 68030

Yeah... I remember Steve saying that when he met with the Cupertino City council. He said they were renting office space all over Silicon Valley.... and the spaceship would finally bring them all together under one roof.

So my next question is... will Apple be able to add MORE employees because of all this new real estate? Or will it just be a reshuffling of existing employees who are currently scattered around?

13. macrumors 6502a

CrazyForApple

I wish I was a tenant

14. macrumors G3

puckhead193

i wish my office had an outdoor living area/fireplace...

15. macrumors 6502

A lot of building, buying and spending… :eek:
    I don't see enough developing, creating and improving
    Is Apple the next RIM?

16. macrumors Core

alphaod

Yeah definitely. Both based fruits so definitely a sign of ruin.

17. macrumors 603

thekev

It was a (cringeworthy) joke on my part. I was implying that the tree would eventually bear apples.

18. macrumors 601

Yvan256

I'm glad you didn't make a typo, otherwise I would've posted this image:

[​IMG]

19. macrumors 68020

Don't forget their data center employees, support offices, warehouses, NYC corporate office, as well as international locations outside of retail.

20. macrumors 68030

Of course. :)

But I was just wondering how the spaceship would affect their existing Silicon Valley area employees.

Apple already has employees at One Infinite Loop... and that's just 2 miles from the spaceship. Plus there are even more employees scattered elsewhere in the area. Who will stay at One Infinite Loop and who will move into the spaceship?

Will the spaceship be the home for all these scattered employees? Or is it also for more employees?

Per this article... Apple is leasing space in Sunnyvale, 4 miles from One Infinite Loop for 1,450 employees. And they're leasing even more space in Santa Clara, 5 miles away for 1,200 employees.

But once the spaceship is complete... will the Sunnyvale and Santa Clara locations be closed? Or will they actually need to keep ALL these extra locations?

I'm just curious if Apple will populate One Infinite Loop and the spaceship and Sunnyvale and Santa Clara and wherever else they are.

Apple outgrew One Infinite Loop and that's why they've been leasing all this extra office space. I'm curious if the spaceship will finally house everyone in the area... or if they'll need even more space.

21. macrumors newbie

I really like this website, or is it just the comments that I like

22. macrumors 65816

It's the TMZ of tech

23. macrumors 6502

It's the comments that got me in back in the day :)

24. macrumors member

rahhb.riley

“Randy, the **** pool is getting full. We better strain it before it overflows and causes a *****lide that could cover this entire community. I will not have a Pompeiian catastrophe happening in Sunnyvale.”

Obligatory Trailer Park Boys Joke

25. macrumors regular

Most of Cupertino and a big part of Sunnywale are already covered by Apple buildings. Infinite Loop accommodates only a fraction of their employees in Santa Clara Valley.

----------

Sure Mr. Shareholder. Google and others keep their employees in tents ;)