Apple Planning Fix for iOS 7 Home Screen Crashes

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 22, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Since iOS 7 was released in September, users have complained of frequent home screen and app crashes, resulting in a soft reboot of the system. According to an Apple representative that spoke to Mashable, a fix for the issue is in the works, with a software update to be released soon.
    Random iOS 7 reboots have been occurring for users since September, according to a threads on both the MacRumors forums and Apple's own Support Communities. During these system reboots, the iPhone screen goes black or white (depending on the color of the phone) for a short period of time before reloading. Based on the complaints, all iPhones running iOS 7, regardless of model, appear to be exhibiting problems.

The fix may possibly come bundled as part of iOS 7.1, which is currently in its fourth beta iteration. Developers received the latest seed of the operating system on Monday, but it is unknown when Apple plans to release iOS 7.1 to the public.

According to a report from BGR, a public launch of iOS 7.1 isn't expected until March, which could mean Apple plans to release a smaller iterative iOS 7.0.5 update in the meantime.

Article Link: Apple Planning Fix for iOS 7 Home Screen Crashes

2. macrumors 6502a

ZacNicholson

3. macrumors 6502a

marvz

not funny.

4. macrumors G5

Rogifan

Wow how original.

5. macrumors 6502

RoelJuun

I might be really lucky cause I have no crashes on either iPad 4, iPhone 5S and iPhone 4. The iPhone 4 is really slow though at times. It seems random.

6. macrumors member

Terrific. I was worried they weren't planning to fix iOS 7 home screen crashes.

/s

7. macrumors 6502a

Am3r1ca16

8. macrumors 6502

9. macrumors 6502

Happened to me a couple of times on my iPhone 4S since iOS 7. Don't think it has happened on the iPad 2, though.

10. macrumors G5

Rogifan

I get Safari crashes on my Air (though a lot less since I did a reset). Just got an iPhone 5S earlier this week and haven't had any crashes yet.

11. AngerDanger, Jan 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2014

macrumors 68000

AngerDanger

This has to be my least favorite reoccurring comment. In fact…

[​IMG]

12. macrumors 6502

sofila

13. macrumors 6502

"Based on the complaints, all iPhones running iOS 7, regardless of model, appear to be exhibiting problems."

No kidding, all iphones w ios7?! Needless to say, Im still enjoying my iphone5 with jb ios6! Tend to keep it that way for a while :)

14. macrumors 604

bushido

its probably related! the system gets scared when it comes back from an app looking at those icons and backs out ;) it has a IA soul after all

15. macrumors 6502

macfacts

And this means what? That this problem is not important?

16. clcnyc, Jan 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2014

macrumors regular

clcnyc

It happens on my iPad at least 6x a day. Makes me nuts. Both the iPad Air and the one before it. Hope this fixes on all devices.

17. macrumors 6502a

Never encountered a home screen crash but I can guarantee IOS 7 Safari will quit randomly at least ten times a day on my Air.

It's the most unreliable browser experience I have ever had on an Apple product, and that includes IE.

How about some hotfixing of that!

18. macrumors 68000

Goftrey

My springboard nearly ALWAYS crashes when I flick through my music library via the music app at speed (doesn't occur via CC or the lockscreen). I need to pause the music & then go through & find the song I want.

19. macrumors 6502a

spblat

Been driving me crazy too on my 5S. Didn't know it was a thing, I was going to take it in. Guess that plan's off.

20. macrumors 68020

keysofanxiety

Yeah, he's probably got a graph about the percentage of Android devices that spontaneously respring themselves compared to iOS ones.

21. macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

Now the dilemma, upgrade to 7.1 to fix the resprings and lose the jailbreak or not.

22. macrumors 6502a

23. macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

In my experience (I have an iPad Air and iPhone 4s) the soft reboot happens only to my iPad. Usually when it seems to stutter a bit or run low on memory.

My old trusty iPhone 4s may be slower at times, but has never done this. It's even hardly crash on Safari.

I guess it's the 64bit part? More bit = more problem, i guess? :eek:

24. macrumors 6502a

This is pretty much resolved in the 7.1 beta (at least for me) They should just finish it and release to the people.....

25. macrumors 6502

Candlelight

My only issue with iOS 7 at present is I listen to half hour podcasts / comedy shows but whenever I lock my phone for a while then go back to it the phone forgets where I've paused it and goes back to the start.