Apple Planning Mid-September Event for 4.7-Inch iPhone 6, Timing of 5.5-Inch Model Unclear

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 23, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

According to 9to5Mac, Apple is putting the finishing touches on iOS 8 in advance of a September iPhone and iOS 8 launch event. Based on current projections, Apple is unsurprisingly tentatively planning to hold this iPhone-oriented event in mid-September. In line with previous reports, Apple is said to be aiming for a second product launch event in October for the iWatch and OS X Yosemite.

[​IMG]
    iPhone 5s with mockups of 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch iPhone 6 models
    Similar to other recent September events, Apple is reportedly planning to focus on only iOS 8 and the iPhone 6 in this year's September event. While the 4.7-inch iPhone will headline the presentation, the debut of the 5.5-inch model is still uncertain as it is further behind the 4.7-inch model in both testing and manufacturing.
    This information aligns with an earlier report that suggests Apple may push off the 5.5-inch model until 2015.

The report claims iOS 8 is on track for its public release this fall, with a fifth and final beta version expected on Monday, August 4, although a separate report from BGR claims a sixth beta is planned for Friday, August 15. A golden master version may debut a few weeks later at the end of August or early September. As rumored, dual-screen multi-tasking for the iPad and Maps improvements are still in the works, but these features are not expected to be available at launch and would come in a later iOS 8 update.

Following the September event, Apple also is planning a second event in October that will showcase the iWatch, Apple's entry into the wearables market. This late fall event also will be used to discuss OS X Yosemite as well as unveil new iPad models. The iPad update is expected to be a modest refresh with hardware additions such as Touch ID and a faster A8 processor.

Article Link: Apple Planning Mid-September Event for 4.7-Inch iPhone 6, Timing of 5.5-Inch Model Unclear

2. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm more interested in the larger iPhone - so I have to hold my breath and wait :(

3. macrumors regular

joshwenke

They better have a media event where they release lots of stuff. If not... we'll be waiting AGAIN!

4. macrumors 68040

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    I think the larger iPhone is interesting... but I'll probably stick to the 4.7" regardless.

5. macrumors 601

The Doctor11

I still don't expect to see the 5.5 inch iPhone until 2015.

6. macrumors 68020

heehee

Just release it already. :cool:

I've had enough of my Samsung.

7. macrumors 6502

Dilster3k

8. macrumors 65816

Too much iPhone, iPad, iWatch in that article. Where are the redesigned MacBooks that we heard a rumor about? The stuff that matters.

9. macrumors member

Apple TV

Would be nice to see a major AppleTV revamp too...

10. macrumors newbie

I'd wager that they stagger their releases slightly like they did with the 5C and 5S. 4.7 inch first, then 5.5 inch. Seems their style.

Side note: "mostly likely"? My inner English-Nazi wants to physically educate people who do that. It's supposed to be "most likely".

11. macrumors 6502

Honestly, if the 5.5 is really "real" and Apple does not announce it with the 4.7" version, than don't bother holding off for it because you will wait at least a year.

I suspect that Apple will release it along with the iPhone 6S next year and call it iPhone 6A. I highly doubt Apple will screw it's customers over after 2-3 months and release a 5.5" iPhone without at least announcing them simultaneously together.

12. macrumors 6502

Simple answer: $$$$$

Apple makes much more selling iOS devices

13. macrumors 6502

A moment of silence for AT&T's servers...those poor bastards don't have a chance.

14. DakotaGuy, Jul 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2014

macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

I don't either. Apple always holds back something so people will be compelled to upgrade the next time around. If they come out with a 4.7" this year and then a 5.5" the following year imagine how many people will upgrade again the following year? That's how Apple makes tons of money.

If you took a moment to review Apple's last operating results you will notice that the iPhone matters A LOT more then the Macs do at this point. It's over half the entire corporations revenue at this point!

15. macrumors 65816

They looks like the Galaxy S 5, phablets are ugly.

16. macrumors 6502a

2015 for the 5.5" will likely be too late for me.

EDIT: In my opinion at least announcing it's existence will go a long way into keeping the folks who want 5"+ waiting vs. defecting to Android.

17. macrumors 68020

I cosign. I think the 5.5, if it happens, will have its own release cycle, at least in the beginning.

Just like Samsung has a 6 month gap between Galaxy S and Galaxy Note

18. macrumors 6502a

marvz

The new MacBooks are probably delayed because Intel missed their own timeframe for Broadwell chips.

19. macrumors member

Wow, one page of comments and not a single person denying the existence of the 5.5" iPhone. We're making progress!

20. macrumors 6502a

RightMACatU

Jebus... I feel like I'm in the Groundhog Day movie :p

21. macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Once you own a phone that is still very trim with a 5.5" display it is very hard to go back to a smaller screen. Trust me.:)

22. macrumors 68030

The end of the iPhone conference:

"But there is one more thing..." :eek:

"A 5.5" iPhone...." :D

----------

Can you even deny the existence of something that doesn't exist!? :D

Just joking, I actually still think the 5.5" is coming.

23. macrumors 6502

bpcookson

Apple TV App Store!!!

24. macrumors 68000

1080p

"One more thing" was Steve's thing... and it hasn't been used since before he passed away.

25. macrumors regular

I like the *idea* of the 5.5" iPhone, but I really don't think it will fit in my pocket - my current iPhone 5 is "pushing it".

I can see a *slightly* bigger phone being OK (and welcome), but I can't imagine carrying around a 5.5" "phablet" in my pocket :(