Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Prototypical

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
Nebraska
I take the money that once went to my cable TV and just buy the show seasons I want. In my case, around $80 a month buys at least two shows on iTunes or Amazon. Translates to about 24 shows a year minimum.

This is the only TRUE way to cut the cord, to be honest. Hulu, Netflix, Sling, Amazon Prime... All limit you on what you get for your monthly fee. There are shows I want on AP that aren't on Hulu; there are shows on Hulu that aren't on Netflix. You're playing the same game you play with your Cable provider, just with more opponents (and less money).

I'm not sure why people don't understand that EQUIVALENT cable is not $30, and it never will be. If you want On-Demand functionality for cable (like you have with streaming services), you're paying $10-15/mo per box for DVRs. I have two TVs but plenty of people have many more than that. Suddenly you're at $60-90/mo for basic cable and DVR. Add packages to get channels that you actually want to watch, and the cost is now $120-140/mo.

-IF- (and that's a big if) Apple can manage to bundle quality channels together for $30/mo, it's a great deal. Assuming the rumors about local programming are true, and assuming ABC/NBC/CBS/etc. are all on-demand as well, it removes the need for a third-party DVR, an HD-antenna (which doesn't work well for everyone), and probably Hulu. If Apple pulls a rabbit out of their hat and brings streaming sports programming, well, then game over.

...on the other hand, if Apple botches the channel line-up and/or doesn't bring live TV+on demand functionality, it may not be worth it. We just have to wait and see.

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
VLC has been available on all platforms for many years, and you can still get the DMG from videolan.org. I take it you realise you can get things OUTSIDE the app store, which is only a very recent installing concept?

As for being a video professional, maybe you would benefit from acquainting yourself with rtmpdump and avconv/ffmpeg too, and releasing yourself from the restrictions of only using a GUI? I think so.

lol. Ubuntu BS.:rolleyes: I'm old enough to know what it was like to use computers without a GUI and I never want to go back there again, thank you very much. You can deal with the whims of developers deciding whether ffmpeg is now deprecated, etc. I'll use professional programs like Adobe Media Encoder and Compressor to get my job done and make money. Don't have time to reinvent the wheel when perfectly great wheels are already available. I use MPEG Streamclip when I need a quick way to convert someone's interlaced movie (usually MPEG or wmv) to a non-interlaced ProRes movie so it will run better during a live event. It's the app we have on playback Mac Pros so it's the one we use for that purpose. I rarely see anyone on the A/V crew using VLC unless they are using a PC to play movies for a small show and then they have to jump through a bunch of hoops to make it display correctly. It's ok for personal use but not for any professional I know. If you have a purpose for it, good for you. Just not sure why Apple would put it on the TV when they would prefer more control over how well media plays on it since people would blame them before they blamed VLC.

I referred to the app store not always having it as an indication that it may not be well-supported by Apple since the original question was whether VLC would be available on the next TV.

Last edited:

AppleHater

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
I'm sorry for you pal, this is Apple we're talking about. You won't see anything like this even if you go 6/7 parallel universes beyond this one
That's true but with AppStore, others can fill in the gap. I'm streaming my movies in from my local network HDD to my iPad which are in more than just mp4 format.

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
why do we need buttons anymore .... conveniently touching stuff as we always do now ... and its extended to our tech gadgets.. let the remote join in.

If there is one good thing about it, at least there is no buttons that can wear out over time. How it integrates is so meting else.

Button remotes are proven to be one of the dirtiest, germiest things in a home or especially a hotel room. Touch screen remotes are infinitely easier to clean.

Reactions: scapegoat81

SmileyBlast!

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
$30 to $40 for 25 channels does not sound like a good deal.
Right now with Apple Music you get 30 Million songs for $10 per month.
Imagine if they competed with Netflix and gave you every streamable Movie and TV show for $15 per month.
Also they would need to have PVR service. I think 500 GB would have to be the minimum storage for that. SSD of course.
A Big leap up from the 8 GB that an Apple TV version 2 or 3 has right now.

It would be interesting too if just like Netflix, they started producing Television shows and Feature Movies.
Would they produce their own Steve Jobs Films?

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
I got plex running on my ATV3 a couple weeks back by using this clever hack that pipes DNS requests from the ATV through the Mini that hosts my plex server, which redirects traffic from the 'trailers' app and turns it into Plex. It sounds goofy, and requires a little command-line tinkering on the mini, but it has worked great, and allowed me to retire the old mini I was previously using as a plex player.

I'm with you on the volume-controlled output; would love to just connect some self-amplified speakers to the apple TV and have volume control on a single Apple remote.

Thanks, I looked at the DNS hack for my ATV3 and I'm sure it works well, but for now I'm liking the Roku 3.
maybe I should look at it again :)

I like your version of the Volume control and that would actually be quite nice. But what I was intending to mean is that on the Roku3 I can actually physically plug headphones into the remote and then the Roku routes the audio through the remote/headphones (and makes the TV silent) it comes in very handy if people want to be in the same room, but someone needs to focus (homework, work, etc...). really as I think about it, I think we're on the same page, just maybe different intended uses.

MacAddict1978

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2006
I still don't understand "cord cutters" who would sign up for a $30-$40 service. Presumably also with Netflix, Hulu, etc.
Well... most people pay about $100+ for cable.... and also pay for Netflix on top of it. So it's still quite a savings.... $50-$60 a month.... $700ish a year.

So I don't understand why cord cutters would sign up for such a thing and save a vacation package's worth of money either.

pokerplayer73

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2011
Florida, USA
Cut my cable
For 2 TVs, I have
- PS3, Apple TV3, Chromecast, Fire TV Stick, Roku Gen3 on Main TV
- Roku 2 LT and Chromecast on Secondary TV.

I find chromecast to be most useful, especially since they can switch on TV and sound Bar through Bravia Sync(HDMI-CEC).

The new AppleTV has to be compelling enough for me to get it. Some feature that is not already available on plethora of devices that I have already.

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
Well... most people pay about $100+ for cable.... and also pay for Netflix on top of it. So it's still quite a savings.... $50-$60 a month.... $700ish a year.

So I don't understand why cord cutters would sign up for such a thing and save a vacation package's worth of money either.

Again, there are cheaper alternatives to paying "$100+" and what you can get for $30-$40. So you're saying that people who would use Apple's service would then not need Netflix? I don't think so.

There are currently 5 packages with promo pricing with DTV under $40 a month. Even without promo pricing, there's 3. And the argument of "well, now add $X for additional receivers, $Y for DVR..." Yeah, that's true, but are we all forgetting you'd need multiple ATVs to watch TV in multiple rooms? Will it even have the ability to DVR? And it's not like DTV doesn't offer mobile device streaming, either.

Not to mention you *do* need internet service for this, which most plans with decent speed for sufficient 1080p streaming would begin around $40 a month. And if we are truly comparing TV plans to Apple's potential offering, you *do not* need internet for DTV or cable subscriptions.

Reactions: SmileyBlast!

agsystems

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
This long overdue, but kind of pointless without their new streaming service, don't you guys think?

Apple needs to continue to update their products. The current ATV is comically under-power and outdated.

Any deal Apple is proposing that involves content providers losing revenue will go nowhere. I understand Apple doesn't want to compete for content but they have enough money to start a "Apple studios" (i.e., Amazon studios) and start producing their own content. That way they will put heat on the old guard and start breaking this inertia.

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
Look forward to native third party apps. Should be perfect timing for Amazon to develope an app for the launch of the Top Gear UK guys' new show coming in 2016!

stvon09

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2015
I got tired of waiting and bought Nvidia Shield Tv :) If apple can top this ill be impressed cause I'm getting games like half life 2 and doom 3 flawlessly as well as classic games like sonic 2 + and on top of that its already 4k ready. They have left me in the cold.. how could apple let an important product go 3-4 yrs without any kind of update... I wonder if it will be serious about gaming as the shield is. Also what kind of games could an A8 processor run? I'm not trying to put down apple but they have a lot of other good options out there like Roku as well. I'm just wondering how they can make theirs better than all the others.

Reactions: npmacuser5

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
Heard that one before...and before...

Yeah, but this time I read it on actual news sites, not rumor mills. There was zero mention of an App Store, though there was mention of the remote and streaming stations.

The ONLY thing that really matters to me with the new model is that it can run Kodi (although I wish to a certain deity that they would change that god-awful name to something less kiddy sounding...Kodi...kiddy...see what I meany?) I'm tired of Apple not running other formats. I still have plenty of AVI, DTS, FLAC and MKV files that I run through XBMC on my old Gen1 Apple TVs, but even with a Broadcom chip in those, you can't run Apple rentals (or newer Airplay videos) so that necessitates two boxes and I'd like to avoid that. Something tells me that that the Apple license and/or APIs won't "allow" Kodi to function, even a hampered version without Airplay, etc. I just have that feeling.

noles1983

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Again, there are cheaper alternatives to paying "$100+" and what you can get for $30-$40. So you're saying that people who would use Apple's service would then not need Netflix? I don't think so.

There are currently 5 packages with promo pricing with DTV under $40 a month. Even without promo pricing, there's 3. And the argument of "well, now add $X for additional receivers, $Y for DVR..." Yeah, that's true, but are we all forgetting you'd need multiple ATVs to watch TV in multiple rooms? Will it even have the ability to DVR? And it's not like DTV doesn't offer mobile device streaming, either.

Not to mention you *do* need internet service for this, which most plans with decent speed for sufficient 1080p streaming would begin around $40 a month. And if we are truly comparing TV plans to Apple's potential offering, you *do not* need internet for DTV or cable subscriptions.

1. Cable cutters dont want to haggle every 6 or 12 months.
2. Cable cutters dont need dvr, as most things are on demand.
3. Yes internet is obviously needed, but most people have this anyways....
4. I would rather pay $100 for a roku or apple tv rather than $15 fee per box "rental".
5. Cable cutting is not for everyone, as there are people still like you and thats ok.

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
I would have to see what apps they allow on it.

Yes. Outside of the US, the current apps are few that we can use. ATV is an iOS device so is it likely that local SVOD services can write an app and get it on? Typically iOS is first cab off the block for that now, which is great, but if the same freedom is allowed on ATV app store, then the ATV can be everyones one and only streaming box. That will make it a huge sales impact, and further reinforce what Apple may come up with in the future if the take up on the hardware gets a massive push.

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
Hopefully it will support external hard drive through USB, multiple file format playability (AVI, MP4, MKV)

Well, it is quite possible, for these reasons.

1. Apple has been adding Android features consistently to iOS in recent times, this could be a continuation if more freedom
2. A "does everything" Apple STB would allow the ATV to be highly desired and in everyones homes
3. Massive sales due to point 2.
4. Nicely setup should Apple have its own streaming service, with many ATV's now in homes.

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
Cut my cable
For 2 TVs, I have
- PS3, Apple TV3, Chromecast, Fire TV Stick, Roku Gen3 on Main TV
- Roku 2 LT and Chromecast on Secondary TV.

I find chromecast to be most useful, especially since they can switch on TV and sound Bar through Bravia Sync(HDMI-CEC).

The new AppleTV has to be compelling enough for me to get it. Some feature that is not already available on plethora of devices that I have already.

If they got the App Store, then its likely that the ATV will have everything on one box?

dragje

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2012
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
I no longer watch "channels." That's so 20th century. I watch content. I don't care about AMC other than the select few shows I watch. I do not want AMC, I want the shows. It would be great if they let me choose 25 shows I like to watch, and then give me all that content. Why would I want to AMC as a regular channel when 75% of the time I won't watch it?

I'd much rather pay $20/mo. to choose 20 shows. They can keep the networks. My father has Sling TV, which is pretty good for what it does, but it's still a bundle. All these services are still bundles when it comes down to it. Apple, with all their money, could actually throw money at the problem, and kill the bundle once and for all. But they don't seem to want to give back to us. Apple could lose money on a TV service for a couple years, and that would be enough time to do real harm to the cable bundle.

But this is going to be a watered down, feeble attempt at cord cutters. I'm just going from one (cable) cord to another (ethernet) cord, with a bundle. Let me choose first my channels. Then someday, let me choose the shows I want to watch, they can keep everything else.

Sir! I agree with you for 100% !

uid15

Suspended
Mar 9, 2015
lol. Ubuntu BS.:rolleyes: I'm old enough to know what it was like to use computers without a GUI and I never want to go back there again, thank you very much. You can deal with the whims of developers deciding whether ffmpeg is now deprecated, etc. I'll use professional programs like Adobe Media Encoder and Compressor to get my job done and make money. Don't have time to reinvent the wheel when perfectly great wheels are already available. I use MPEG Streamclip when I need a quick way to convert someone's interlaced movie (usually MPEG or wmv) to a non-interlaced ProRes movie so it will run better during a live event. It's the app we have on playback Mac Pros so it's the one we use for that purpose. I rarely see anyone on the A/V crew using VLC unless they are using a PC to play movies for a small show and then they have to jump through a bunch of hoops to make it display correctly. It's ok for personal use but not for any professional I know. If you have a purpose for it, good for you. Just not sure why Apple would put it on the TV when they would prefer more control over how well media plays on it since people would blame them before they blamed VLC.

I referred to the app store not always having it as an indication that it may not be well-supported by Apple since the original question was whether VLC would be available on the next TV.

Ya know, with all respect, a true "professional" would refrain from feeling compelled to write such a huge, defensive, and somewhat ignorant wall of text, defending their views to a complete stranger. You may like to envision and claim to be a "professional", but you've just demonstrated a complete lack of any kind of professional attitude, and a huge deficit in your knowledge of what tools come from where. That's ok, have a lovely weekend, don't feel any need to have to reply, I don't hold any grudges, I'm just slightly confused as to the snappy and snippy nature of what you've said.

Worse things happen at sea, take care :)

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
Ya know, with all respect, a true "professional" would refrain from feeling compelled to write such a huge, defensive, and somewhat ignorant wall of text, defending their views to a complete stranger. You may like to envision and claim to be a "professional", but you've just demonstrated a complete lack of any kind of professional attitude, and a huge deficit in your knowledge of what tools come from where. That's ok, have a lovely weekend, don't feel any need to have to reply, I don't hold any grudges, I'm just slightly confused as to the snappy and snippy nature of what you've said.

Worse things happen at sea, take care :)

No offense, but your reply is almost as large a "wall of text" (really it wasn't that big) as his message and you pretty much say nothing at all. Have a super nice day now. :D

furi0usbee said:
I no longer watch "channels." That's so 20th century. I watch content. ...

I'd much rather pay $20/mo. to choose 20 shows.

You might get 20 episodes a month for $20 in standard definition, but you'd never get 20 shows, at least not on iTunes. They tried TV Show "rentals" when ATV Gen2 first came out, but it didn't last very long. I seriously doubt any streaming options they come up with are going to be a much better deal, really.

Reactions: HobeSoundDarryl

uid15

Suspended
Mar 9, 2015
Dirt is good for you.

Yes, indeed it can be. I tend not to base my life upon the opinions of people with predisposition to OCD or paranoid persuasions. Some people spend their lives whittling on about such minutiae... so I just let it pass. I've never heard such a ridiculous, fringe case argument for the abandonment of physical buttons... takes all sorts I guess. I don't tend to pay much mind to these things, except to sit back, aghast, and be thankful I'm not walking around polishing my room every half an hour, and spraying antibac all over my Roku remote, lol.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.