Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
dferrara said:
Is that too early for Merom??

Yes. September I believe is about when Merom will be out. I think we will see Merom MacBook Pros around October. I can easily see an October release for that.

However, although they might be higher clock speed for time will have passed, I don't see huge advantages of the Merom over Core Duo. Isn't it mainly better power consumption and 64 bit? I guess the battery consumption is vital, but 64 bit is not that exciting IMHO.

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
powerbook911 said:
Yes. September I believe is about when Merom will be out. I think we will see Merom MacBook Pros around October. I can easily see an October release for that.

However, although they might be higher clock speed for time will have passed, I don't see huge advantages of the Merom over Core Duo. Isn't it mainly better power consumption and 64 bit? I guess the battery consumption is vital, but 64 bit is not that exciting IMHO.

Yeah, that's true. Were those reports from Engadget about the Core Duo being 64-bit ever confirmed?

It definitely presents an interesting challenge for those looking to get 4-5 years out of their next purchase. It just gets more and more impractical...

cnakeitaro

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2006
Virginia Beach
From what I have seen in the latest reports, Merom was pushed back to Q4. So we might not see them in laptops til early 2007. :mad:

I'm planning to buy a MB Pro when Merom is in it.

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
cnakeitaro said:
From what I have seen in the latest reports, Merom was pushed back to Q4. So we might not see them in laptops til early 2007. :mad:

I'm planning to buy a MB Pro when Merom is in it.

I want to do that too but I just can't see myself waiting that long... well at least there is no 17" MB yyyyet. I can bide my time. ;)

jacobj

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 22, 2003
Jersey
I don't get why people would wait for the next chip. Apple is not guaranteed to put it in their machines on day one. They will wait for the market to demand it, for a drop off in sales. That won't take too long but we could be talking months....

Waiting when the release is imminent is one thing, when it could be a year away is another. Having said that, if your current PB is less than 18months old, then I can see why you would wait: because your not desperate for the new machine..

cnakeitaro

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2006
Virginia Beach
jacobj said:
I don't get why people would wait for the next chip. Apple is not guaranteed to put it in their machines on day one. They will wait for the market to demand it, for a drop off in sales. That won't take too long but we could be talking months....

Waiting when the release is imminent is one thing, when it could be a year away is another. Having said that, if your current PB is less than 18months old, then I can see why you would wait: because your not desperate for the new machine..

I want to wait because I want to wait for the next chip. I kept telling myself the next machine I was going to get was going to be 64-bit. And that was from my iBook G3. Since then, plans have changed and I bought an iMac to fulfill my power requirements. I just couldn't see spending $3000+ on a machine I wasn't completely happy with.

And when Merom does come out, either extremely late Q4 or early 2007, I will be buying a brand new MB Pro, hopefully with some new features.

Edit: I bought the iMac as a cheaper alternative with a nice upgrade from what I was using, the G3 iBook. The iMac has all the features of the MB Pro, plus the ones that were lost. And I can wait to get a MB Pro til when most apps are Universal etc. I just don't really like the idea of getting a powerhouse laptop when you don't have the apps under the hood to utilize it. And on top of that, I kinda spend the chunk of the money I was saving on the iMac, so I need to save up again for a new Merom Powerbook. >.>

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.