Apple plans ultra-portable PC

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by tektonnic, Jun 15, 2006.

1. tektonnic macrumors 6502

tektonnic

Source: http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=32427

2. Collin973 macrumors 6502

Wow. If this is true, then EXCELLENT. I'd love to see an Ultra Portable computer made by Apple. I have an older Compaq Ipaq and the thing is great for lots of things. Also, this NAND ram sounds pretty sweet, allowing the computer to boot faster. Many computers today boot pretty quick (around 30 secs) compared to older computers. I turned on this old Windows 98 machine I have in my basement and it took at leas 3 minutes to boot completely. I hope this comes true!!

3. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

I'd buy one!! :D make it as cheap as an ipod and i'll buy 3

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

eMate, Anyone?
    Been there, done that, almost got the bankruptcy papers.

5. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Dang it, I want one now. I would want a dang Tablet Apple. iTABLET anybody?

6. tektonnic thread starter macrumors 6502

tektonnic

I wonder whether it will be linked to in anyway the wind-up 'computers for every child in 3rd world' initiative the UN were pushing, i know they showed the thing as green etc. but that was going to use flash technology.

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

With 32 GB SATA flash drives going for $1000, the actual computers will be a little bit rich for their blood.

8. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I'm thinking (ok, hoping) that it'll be a 12" tablet for around (realistically) $1400-$1600. That would be killer for what I (think that I) need for college.

9. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

Arguably the world wasn't ready for the emate or the Newton at that time. These devices didn't have much in the way of network connectivity and WiFi didn't exist then.

I think now more than any other time people would latch on to this. Something more computer like than a PDA but still a real OSX-based computer. All this based around the near ubiquitous availablity of wireless networks.

We live in interesting times :)

10. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

I think we're possibly talking about smaller devices than that (10.4" screens) and lower price points (£500).

I guess we'll see.

11. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

this would be quite interesting to see a computer that used NAND...

12. lexus macrumors 68000

lexus

I would get at least one, more if they were in colors. (I had to get 4 iPod mini's:rolleyes: )

13. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

Does anyone have a feel for read and write speeds of NAND flash memory. From a quick google it seems the read speed is more or less similar to a hd on an ATA bus. 108MB/s from here: http://www.samsung.com/Products/Semiconductor/OneNAND/onenand_512_1024mb.htm

The write speed seems to be an order of magnitude less. This has some serious implications for using this in a machine that isn't a read only device (ok for ipod but not necessarily for a laptop).

Anyone?

14. brbubba macrumors 6502

brbubba

That would suck when I just bought the black macbook. I can't imagine a flash notebook coming in under 2k.

15. bbrosemer macrumors 6502a

bbrosemer

There could still be a hard drive and the OS could be held on the Flash memory so you would only need 5-6 gb of memory for the OS... Can anyone say good idea...

16. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

I think Apple should definately do this. Look at what a huge success the Oragami is!

oh wait...

17. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

celebrian23

I'm personally not interested- I don't like ultraportables. But it is still exciting. I hope it wil have an opitcal drive- most ultraportables don't.

18. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

:)

I've been watching the Origami with apple ultraportables in mind. All of the origami implementations I've seen so far have been extremely inelegant (to put it politely!).

Remember before the iPod came along the market for HD based mp3 players didn't really exist either.

19. erikamsterdam macrumors regular

erikamsterdam

I don't want to crash your party, but a computer based on NAND memory is not possible yet.
    NAND memory has a limited amount of write cycles, it dies after that. It can not handle the load of temp files and swap files. The computer would have a very limited lifetime.

20. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

That's exactly what the ultraportable doesn't need.

21. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

And I'm sure that Samsung gave that a lot of thought when they designed the drives.

22. thumb macrumors 6502

forget a pda style comptuer, or even a tablet, what apple needs is an ultra weight, well designed smaller laptop.

external cd drive (come one, how often do you use this), 3.5 lbs.

as for flash drive, i have to imagine we are talking about the hybrid flash/platter drives first, i can't imagine apple will be able to leapfrog these and go straight to flash if there is to be any amount of storage.

btw, these laptops well done i see as *more* expensive than the macbook, not less. and i for would be gladly pay it.

23. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

Those 100$ computers only have 512MB of flash memory (probably directly connected to the IDE bus), not a 32GB SATA flash drive.

As for the size of an ultra-portable, I'd want something the size of a Nintendo DS Lite (maybe a bit taller so it's not so "widescreen" once opened).

24. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

celebrian23

I guess I'm the rare person who uses their optical drive all the time :) I'd still like one even if no one else does :)

Agreed. I tink these should fit a niche, and niche computers typically come with a premium.