Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djrobsd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 2, 2008
There is no setting for this. You can only turn off auto update over cellular data, but they should make it so you can disable auto update when not plugged in to avoid running down your battery.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
There is no setting for this. You can only turn off auto update over cellular data, but they should make it so you can disable auto update when not plugged in to avoid running down your battery.

Updating an app doesn't require a lot of battery power unless you have like 20 apps that need updating at once. The limit of the update is still 100MB over cellular so it's not like you're going to update a 1.2GB game that would definately use a lot of battery.

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012

I agree with this completely and fed it back during the Beta. I only switch on the feature when I'm charging and off again straight afterward.

I'm surprised Apple didn't include this option in iOS 7.

HofstraJet

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2014

Looks like that's how it works by default in iOS9 and you can't change it back. Is it that hard to make this a setting to keep everyone happy?

camner

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2009
Looks like that's how it works by default in iOS9 and you can't change it back. Is it that hard to make this a setting to keep everyone happy?

I agree. This drives me nuts! I don't need to recharge my iPad but about once a month and would love to update apps without having to plug the iPad in (I don't even keep my charger that handy since I use it so rarely)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.