"Apple, please sue us!"

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Jalexster, Dec 20, 2004.

1. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Hmmmm...this looks vaguely familiar to me. Can't quite place it, though.

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

That is quite incredible, I'd say to the people who make this...

[​IMG]

3. dotnina macrumors 6502a

:D Fantastic, eDesign.

The Apple legal team is sure going to be busy this month. :D

4. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

5. jimjiminyjim macrumors 6502

edesignuk, I love the images you come up with for some of your posts. Your wasteland images are especially funny.

6. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

They could be smaller or linkable at least. :)

7. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

Gee, that looks absolutely, without a doubt, in no way at all, undeniably not at all like the gold iPod Mini.

8. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Come on, it's not even close. I mean, the minis don't have the four buttons, so it's not a mini rip-off, and the regular 'pods don't have the colors and rounded edges, so it's not a regular 'pod rip-off, and the screen looks like it has color, so, at best, it's a iPod Photo rip-off, but, then, it doesn't seem to have photo capabilities.

And it's called the "i-Pocket". Note the hyphen (not an iPod feature) as well as the "cket" as opposed to "d" at the end.

Just a coincidence, I'm sure. I doubt the manufacturer has ever seen an iPod....

9. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

And I doubt that Pedro Martinez really went to the Mets for the money :rolleyes:

10. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Of course not! He went to the Mets because he wants to help, and the Mets need help. Pedro's a giver, not a taker. ;)

And, just be sure we're all on the same page, my previous post was supposed to be seen as dripping with sarcasm... which might or might not have been obvious. :D

11. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Apparently they think that the attention and publicity will be a good thing. They may be in court too long to actually come out ahead on this.

12. jimjiminyjim macrumors 6502

Regardless of whether they get away with it, what is that brand? Does anyone recognize it... except those of you who research it...? That's what I thought. No brand recognition whatsoever. The shameless knockoff will be knocked off the shelves in no time - if it even gets on many shelves.

13. panphage macrumors 6502

Well, unless you're in China (Taiwan?), you probably don't recognize it, and it probably won't make it to shelves outside of China (Taiwan?) from the looks of it. And, if China still doesn't recognize international copyright and trademark laws (it could have started acknowledging, I don't know) there isn't anything for Apple to sue over.

14. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

That should also be aware of the maxum, "be careful what you ask for." You may just get it and more.

15. rt_brained macrumors 6502a

So much for that discount electronics booth I was getting ready to open at the local swap meet.

16. dobbin macrumors 6502a

dobbin

ha! Its amazing that any company would have the nerve to do this. Do they have no morals/laws whatsoever over there?

It even comes in the exact same five colours as the iPod mini!

17. Maxx Power macrumors 6502a

Maxx Power

Morals ? That's not in a corporation's dictionary. It's extremely inmoral to have
    http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=2669
    and to consume materials forcifully made in situations like:
    http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=20066

Etc, Etc..

Law and Order is nothing compared to Greed and Evil

18. jadam macrumors 6502a

jadam

They can do that and get away with it easily, wanna know why? Because they aren't going to be selling it in the EU or in the USA.

19. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

Just because they are not selling it in the us or the eu doesn't necessarily mean that it isnt illegal.

Most companies file patent applications in multiple countries and obtain patents for their products in the countries that they sell the products in. If apple does have a patent in the country in which this product is sold they could easily sue them.

20. jadam macrumors 6502a

jadam

Look, it doesn't matter and Apple can not do ANYTHING about it unless the government the product is in decides to comply. You wanna know something, these kind of cheap imitation products are good for 3rd world countries so that they can develop. You China is getting to where it is by obeying copyright laws? HAH!! And there are MANY more countries other then China just waiting to industrialize. These kinds of products will be around forever until the entire world reaches the US's/Europe's Status of living and economy.

21. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

To me it depends on the definition of "third world". China IMO is no longer "third world". They are milking their lack of regard to world law in order repeap profits.

To me it would be different if they did so to make a point about our war on Iraq. But this is a on going issue. They are simply trying to profit on the property of others, since they do not want to be a part of the world economy.

22. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

Sure Chinese courts are looking out for Chinese companies in suits. Every country's courts are more favorable to companies in their own country when the suit involves foreign companies. Why do you think companies always try to get cases tried by the court in the country where they are based. Apple tried to do this with the most recent Beatles suit.

Chinese courts recognize intellectual property rights of foreign companies. They do not recognize them the same way as western nations, but they do recognize them and take them into account when deciding cases. Apple recently sued a chinese clothing manufacturer who put apple logos on their clothing. The clothing manufacturer was named Apple Clothing, or something similar, and Apple Computer lost the case. This was not because the Chinese courts were unfair, they just recognized that both companies had the right to use the logo.

Now, i realize that this is a far different case, but it is irresponsible to go around making generalizations about how third-world nations decide intellectual property cases.

A chinese court is not simply going to tell Apple that they will not here the case. They heard the Apple Clothing case and it was far less of a intellectual property right violation.

Considering Apple sells its products and uses many many producers and suppliers in China, it is not likely that the chinese government would make an overt attempt to screw apple.

Well, after typing that i realize that this argument is somewhat irrelevant since it isn't even a chinese company but rather a taiwanese one. And as much as China tries to make the world believe that Taiwan is part of China, it is not and the case would land in a Taiwanese court. Taiwan is decidely not a third-world nation, and would be far more likely than China to decide a case like this in Apple's favor.

23. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Little difference IMO.

Sort of like GWB saying that he heard the "worlds opinion" about Iraq, but **** you, we are going for "world peace" here.

24. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

that thing is hideous, and while it sure is a rip off, isnt one of the best forms of flattery imitation?