Apple politics!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Daveway, Sep 8, 2004.

1. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

:mad:

I really wish Steve would keep his political views out of his company. As you all know he is very vocal and favors heavily the Democratic party and this is just too much. If you didnt know, the guy who "invented the internet", Al Gore, he is on the board of directors at Apple. If you want to know what im talking about go to the iTMS and look at the latest music video posted. Im very upset b/c Apple does not need this during an election when people are touchy about thing like this, espescially me.

2. angelneo macrumors 68000

Is it the one by Moby & Public Enemy? I am not really clear about this but isn't the video created by the artist and their producers not by Apple? and Apple is just being the middle man contracted to provide a service?

3. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I can't imagine Al Gore having much to offer anyone as a director of sorts. The man can barely walk and chew gum at the same time. Yet his daughter was a writer for SNL? Where did the personality come from???

4. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Beats me.... It prompted me to buy the track, so it doesn't look like anything more than good old capitalism at work.

5. MrJohnson macrumors member

When you run apple you can say what happens. There would be no apple today without Steve.

Also, I want you to prove to everyone else on this forum that AL Gore actually said "I created the internet". Like a quote or something from a good source.

6. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

You are aware right that Steve Jobs does not make the decision about who's on the board on whose not. And you are aware that Al Gore is on the board of plenty of companies and Steve Jobs democratic leanings have no real bearing on what is, ultimately, a business decision. And you do know this is really old news that has nothing to do with the election. Uf you're that touchy about it, you need to get a grip on reality and realize that rich businessmen of both parties on the boards of many famous companies.

7. Daveway thread starter macrumors 68040

Daveway

Al Gore made that comment a few years ago when running for office, i thought everyone knew that. But isn't it odd that we get this video- f**k the war- from to dorment artists?

8. ocellnuri macrumors regular

I'd be pissed off if Apple silenced artists' political material. Nice to see Apple supports freedom of speech, even if it's against the current administration.

9. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

So very true.

10. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

B***S***!!! he made a comment on newsshow where he said, he was a part of the congrssional team that provided funds to internet reseach as we know it today. His political enemies lept at the chance to distort the comment into something it wasn't - sorta like "Mission accomplished". Bith parties have been doing this BS for years. Everything has a context and knuckleheads who deliberately ignore it really tick me off.

11. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Exactly, thank you! Gore never claimed to have invented the internet. He did take initiative in funding the ARPANET, which evolved into the internet. He listed that ("took initiative" were his exact words) when asked what he thought his greatest achievement as a senator was.

Speeches from both the DNC and the RNC were posted to the iTMS. Not sure what video you mean. Moby would, i should think, be an appropriate artist for a music store...

Lots of executives are politically involved. You're just pissed off because the one that you pay attention to leans the other way.

paul

12. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Yeah, that's why they had both the DNC and the RNC for free on iTunes. :rolleyes:

BTW, M$ has a bunch of people on it's board who support Bush. But others who support the Dems. Same with Apple. Get over it.

Edit: Darnit Paul, you beat me to it.

13. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Ha! It might be helpful to actually identify the video, huh?

(Note to those offended by such things: there is (bleeped-out) profanity in the song title and (not bleeped out) in the album cover image.)
    Here.

It's Public Enemy doing their thing on top of music written by Moby.

14. AhmedFaisal Guest

I personally find it way more disturbing when the VP smears a political opponent in the way Dick Cheney did against Kerry than a bunch of hoodlums rapping about things their drug crazed minds don't even halfway comprehend. And seriously, Steve may the the Apple god but he has more important things to do than deciding on what song is on the iTunes music store advertisement list.
    Cheers,

Ahmed

15. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

How do you know who is "drug crazed" and what they can or can't comprehend?

16. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Cyclical logic, my good man. They'll be rapping, natch.

17. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Are you confusing Gore with Dan Quale?

18. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

rofl

I don't really post in the political forum, because I think it's a waste of time arguing with people so narrow minded and biased that they're inapt to apprehend your point let alone their own.
    But I do enjoy reading this from time to time as it reminds me of the quote some member has in his sig:
    "Some people's minds are like cement: all mixed up and permanently set."
    It just cracks me up reading some autocratic comments which they consider to be universally valid and apodictic although it makes me sad at the same time.

19. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

99% of the people who make such comments have no idea what you just said.

20. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

no kidding, p'brit.

am i to understand a non-native speaker used the word 'apodictic'? or is english your first language, diatribe?

21. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

LMFAO!

Wait, so it's ok with you that Ken Lay is a Bush supporter, that the guy who runs Home Depot is a Pioneer-level fundraiser for Bush, and that MOST CEOs in this country support Bush, yet you get all a-twitter because Apple thinks differently?

Seriously man, grow up. Learn to tolerate the fact that not everyone agrees with you. I still manage to shop at Home Depot somehow, despite my seething rage that the guy doesn't agree with me 100%. Maybe you are more principled than I am, in which case you should sell off all your Apple gear and go support a company that supports your candidate. Or you can get over it.

22. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Why, what difference would it make either way? :D

Oh and if it seems like I am from Spain... I am not. :D Just doing an internship here.

23. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I heard the same baloney when Apple made the speeches from the DNC available on the iTMS as free downloads. Jobs is a lefty! See this is the proof!

Then they did the same thing with the RNC speeches...

24. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

the difference between "impressive" and "more impressive". :)

i dated a woman for whom english was her third (or fourth?) language. she had a better vocabulary than i did, and i'm no slacker. i respected the hell out of her for that.