Apple Possibly Working With Energous on Extended Range Wireless Charging for Future iPhones

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 5, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Amid rumors that Apple is working on extended range wireless charging capabilities for future iPhones, there has been some speculation that Apple has partnered with Energous to implement the technology. Energous is the company behind WattUp, an emerging wireless charging technology that uses radio frequencies to charge devices from up to 15 feet away.

Though there's no concrete proof of a relationship between Energous and Apple, a new research report from Louis Basenese of Disruptive Tech Research highlights a large pool of circumstantial evidence pointing towards a potential partnership, so it's worth taking a look at Energous's technology, both in that context and as an example of the wireless charging techniques that are currently being pursued by tech companies.

Basenese posits Apple is working with a partner rather than developing an in-house solution due to the small number of patents the company has filed surrounding wireless charging -- just five, with none filed since 2013. As evidence that partner is Energous, he points towards their common manufacturing partners (TSMC and Foxconn), their membership in ANSI working towards standards for wireless power transfer compliance testing, and most notably, the fact that Energous's RF-based wireless charging system is the only long-distance solution nearly ready to launch.

In early 2015, Energous also inked a deal with an unnamed consumer electronics company, positioned as one of the top five companies in the world. Names weren't mentioned, but that's a short list -- Apple, Samsung, HP, Microsoft, and Hitachi. Basenese believes Apple is the likeliest partner by process of elimination.
    Wireless charging capabilities have been implemented into several smartphones, including those from Apple's direct competitors, but Apple executives have downplayed wireless charging in the past due to its dependence on built-in chips, mats, and close proximity. In a 2012 interview, Apple marketing chief Phil Schiller said it wasn't clear "how much convenience" magnetic induction and resonance wireless charging systems offered because they still need to be plugged into the wall.

Click here to read rest of article...

Article Link: Apple Possibly Working With Energous on Extended Range Wireless Charging for Future iPhones

2. needfx, Feb 5, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2016

needfx macrumors 68030

needfx

Queue the lawsuits for accidental genital electrocutions

3. Gooberton macrumors 6502a

YES PLEASE. shut Samsung and their wall hugger campaign up! Yet they will copy right after

4. techpr, Feb 5, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2016

techpr macrumors 6502

techpr

5. Serban Suspended

6. gabriel193755 macrumors member

gabriel193755

The only two things that I am sure in this life:
    -Everybody is going to die one day.
    -Samsung will copy.

7. RobQuads macrumors regular

This is the sort of wireless charging that I have been waiting for.

The cableless desk is getting closer (without relying on batteries)

8. BvizioN macrumors 68040

BvizioN

And am not too sure about the first one ;)

9. 1Zach1 macrumors 6502a

1Zach1

I hope by "future" they mean the iPhone 7-series.;)

10. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

It's mentioned in the article that it won't happen for the iPhone 7.

11. BanditoB macrumors newbie

Cue the hysterical claims that it causes cancer or that folks are allergic to wireless charging/power.

12. 1Zach1 macrumors 6502a

1Zach1

I know, there are really only two things I care to see in new iPhones: Wireless charging at a distance, smaller overall size of the phone. I don't believe I will see either of these for years, but there isn't much else that interests me in new phones.

13. Corrode macrumors 6502a

Corrode

I know technology moves fast but wireless charging like this is actually mind-boggling.

14. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

So how does this work? If it really "harvests" radio waves and converts it into DC, wouldn't the sender's power output be severely higher than that of other devices like routers and therefore potentially problematic for one's health?

15. Oblivious.Robot macrumors 6502

Oblivious.Robot

This was what I truly imagined when someone told me about "wireless charging" devices of some companies.
    Oh the disappointment that followed afterwards when they told about wired dock/pad.

16. Andres Cantu macrumors 68020

Andres Cantu

So many different types of waves will be passing through us!

17. diipii macrumors 6502

This makes me uneasy about health threats from radiation. I've had cancer once and it's no fun.

18. quietstormSD macrumors 6502a

quietstormSD

I actually see this being more practical in the car, especially with bluetooth etc and charging something in the car would only require the technology having to charge something through a small range.

19. Shlooky macrumors regular

20. critter13 macrumors regular

I really hope they go with witricity tech. it will be compatible with skyline processors.

21. tmiw macrumors 65816

I hope Apple doesn't use this as an excuse to reduce battery capacity even further in the name of thinness. The 6/6s is already plenty thin for me and I imagine for others as well.

22. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

I'm not so certain about the first one.

In fact, I'm pretty certain that more than 50% of people born after 1970 in the US will never die (or at least they'll die so far into the future there's no point worrying about death.) Other developed countries will have similar rates of people who could be considered immortal.

23. yaxomoxay macrumors 65816

yaxomoxay

"God is dead, Marx is dead, and I'm not feeling that good..." (Woody Allen)

24. stevemiller macrumors 65816

25. Mac 128 macrumors 68040

Mac 128

Maybe not the 7, but certainly the 7S.

It could also be practical at home, work, or any small room, like an Airport "charging lounge", or even an airplane, bus or train. And not just for phones, but also accessories, particularly BlueTooth headphones -- whether they are powered on or not.

Certainly this would solve a lot of complaints about needing to remember to charge your devices, especially headphones. Essentially they get charged whenever they are near a charging station. Starbucks would be an excellent location for this. In the very near future the only place a device wouldn't get powered is walking down the street, or camping in the woods.