Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Imagine this tech on future Apple Watch.

Exactly. This is always what I hoped for. I wouldn't be surprised to see it on the watch first for the following reasons.

1) It's much more useful on an apple watch because it allows you to wear it all night for alarm/sleep tracking (as opposed to the iPhone which you won't be using anyway)
2) It uses a much smaller battery so a full charge on an Apple watch would take considerably less time
3) Much smaller scale. For an emerging technology it'd be much easier to make 20M a year rather than 200M a year...

Reactions: MarkCollette

Mactendo

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2012
I'm not so certain about the first one.

In fact, I'm pretty certain that more than 50% of people born after 1970 in the US will never die (or at least they'll die so far into the future there's no point worrying about death.) Other developed countries will have similar rates of people who could be considered immortal.
I'm curious if you are aware of anything existing that can so significantly increase the human lifetime?

I'm not so certain about the first one.

In fact, I'm pretty certain that more than 50% of people born after 1970 in the US will never die (or at least they'll die so far into the future there's no point worrying about death.) Other developed countries will have similar rates of people who could be considered immortal.
I think you have a highly optimistic view of the pace of technology with respect to health.

iMember

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2014
That doesn't even make sense. (I hope you meant that with sarcasm)
3D Touch is awesome! Once people realize that (like a lot of us have) their will be even more apps and new ways to use it. Quick Actions and Peak alone are fantastic! From the software animation side to the precise tap of the hardware.
All im saying its a bold move to call it 3D touch! what happens if Samsung (which i highly doubt it) releases a new technology with a complete haptic feedback in when you using the virtual keyboard you can actually feel a, b, c buttons while pressing on them, and they will call it 3D touch..how will that compare with Apple's 3D touch?
I think Apple now a days is marketing the hell out of something just like they did with Apple Music, most people think they changed the music industry while in reality Apple Music is just another streaming service

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
All im saying its a bold move to call it 3D touch! what happens if Samsung (which i highly doubt it) releases a new technology with a complete haptic feedback in when you using the virtual keyboard you can actually feel a, b, c buttons while pressing on them, and they will call it 3D touch..how will that compare with Apple's 3D touch?
*shudder* That's what 3Ds Touch is for.

I think Apple now a days is marketing the hell out of something just like they did with Apple Music, most people think they changed the music industry while in reality Apple Music is just another streaming service
And a terrible one to boot.

This is the gamechanger sort of innovation. If Apple (or anybody) manage to pull it off without, you know, accidentally frying everybody in the 50 meter radius from the charger, every single smartphone owner will suddenly feel the need to get the new model – unlike the "iPhone 7, the thinnest iPhone ever, now 13% faster when running speed tests" kind of improvements.

Reactions: Ghost31

Izauze

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2013
It's mentioned in the article that it won't happen for the iPhone 7.
Yeah, but they don't give any basis for that speculation. It also says later in the article that the company has said it could appear in devices on the market as early as late 2016 -- which would obviously indicate the 7 was at least a possibility at the time they made that statement.

iMember

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2014
*shudder* That's what 3Ds Touch is for.

And a terrible one to boot.

This is the gamechanger sort of innovation. If Apple (or anybody) manage to pull it off without, you know, accidentally frying everybody in the 50 meter radius from the charger, every single smartphone owner will suddenly feel the need to get the new model – unlike the "iPhone 7, the thinnest iPhone ever, now 13% faster when running speed tests" kind of improvements.

how about 3/4 years unlimited battery life until your battery dies without requiring to charge your phone every day instead of wireless charging? the technology already exists
corporate wireless charging = Blackberry smartphone game changer
Heat charging = iPhone game changer

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
how about 3/4 years unlimited battery life until your battery dies without requiring to charge your phone every day instead of wireless charging? the technology already exists
There is technology that allows a smartphone (not a watch or scale or something that does one very simple task) to work for 3/4 years without charging?

happywaiman

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2013
I think it's super-easy to know: did Apple buy them out?
Everyone know, to get a year, to two years head start, Apple's culture is "buy".
That's how Tim create the biggest NAND stash in the world in 2009 (at the time, 100M from Samsung), and double the price of NAND at one point
That's also how TouchID become exclusive for a year, and perhaps remain exclusive on white, color coated sapphire (from what I see so far, the solution seems to based on multi crystal cubic zirconia, which produce a worse image than sapphire. Sure, it can still do some level of recognition, and maybe tougher on impact, but the sensor need to have more pixel, which mean the hole has to be bigger to get the same level of security)
That's even how Apple could get Flyover work better than Google street view: by buying PrimeSense, the state of the art, image depth calculation solution, which could also power high-accuracy map for cars. (Think about it, when Apple buy FingerWorks, they were doing keyboard, not screen. So why does PrimeSense equivalent to Kinect on iPhone? )
That's the cornerstone of Apple's money pile: have it in all these currency, in high amount. So if anything Tim wants to buy, his team could compile the purchase order in hours, and get the monopoly of the technology at the time of launch.

CJM

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2005
U.K.
Where are we getting the idea this involves high velocity electrons? Its photons. And they're the same velocity as all the other photons.

I think he meant high energy. That's the concerning part. How this would work, I don't know, but I can't imagine it being very efficient. Definitely interesting, however.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
"Though there's no concrete proof of a relationship between Energous and Apple"

Curious to note that a co-founder and co-inventor of Energies Corporation was a consultant for Apple for 21 years (1985-2006).
Been news a while back Apple was potentially linked with Energies http://capgainr.com/is-apple-the-energous-tier-1-partner/ - article makes the case that you'd see information about this, if incorporated into the device (e.g. iPhone 7) through FCC information.
Energous Corporation previously known as DvineWave Inc. has a few patents it looks like
e.g. Laptop computer as a transmitter for wireless charging, wireless powering of electronic devices, charging and powering of electronic devices, or even a wireless charging pad.

Last edited:

ghost187

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
First off, this look way too Sci-Fi in my opinion. If this actually works the way it's shown in that ridiculously armature video, than this would be the most innovative technological achievement I've ever witnessed!

I hope I am wrong, but you can file this under the, too good to be true category. I'd go as far as saying this would be the most innovative technology since the Internet.

Also as a side note, why would the bright minds that came up with this sell the tech or ink a deal with anyone? This technology as shown in the video is worth a trillion dollars.

Reactions: Ghost31

bsimpsen

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
I am skeptical of any method that moves large amounts of power between two points, potentially through a person. If it's radio, there's the issue of both absorption heating and other biological effects. If it's optical, there's the potential for retina and/or tissue damage. If it's ultrasound, there's the potential for hearing and/or tissue damage.

I think the dream of safely recharging a laptop though the air from something 25 feet away will remain a dream for quite some time. I will, however, be thrilled to be proven wrong.

Jakexb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2014
It's about tuning the energy receiver and transmitter very specifically. You're exposed to way more broadband electromagnetic energy on a daily basis from the sun and all the electronics that are passively radiating all kinds of stuff.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Not a whole lot I still want (need) from a phone other than wireless charging. Give me this and I canhappily overlook throwing out the 3.5mm jack. One of my favorite features I've enjoyed in Android devices, albeit at a much closer range.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.