Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macidiot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2002
Analysts get it completely wrong again

Analysts missed by .36/share? By almost 50%???

Estimate was for .78

Actual was 1.14

Seriously, I want their jobs. I'd love to get paid for getting things wrong over and over again.

BTW, AAPL is now at 99 in after hours trading.

macidiot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2002
Trading for AAPL was halted at 4:30est? What's up with that?

They often halt trading in stocks after a significant news announcement. The idea is to give a little breathing room. Kind of a pause to reduce volatility.

bignumbers

macrumors regular
May 9, 2002
Holy crap that's a lot of money.

28% growth in Macs - that's very nice indeed.

re: lower forecasting, I wonder if they're predicting high-end iPod buyers holding off until the iPhone is released. I'm not 100% sold on the iPhone but will hold off my iPod upgrade until I see it for real.

bommai

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2003
Melbourne, FL
Webcast started.

Ummm where do yall see prices up to 99 on after hours. I'm seeing down actually.

After market prices are highly volatile due to reduced volume. Kinda like desert temperatures. So, one instance to another there can be a big difference.

iPegboy

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2003
Detroit
um, good for the them. but am i the only one who sees that they profitted $1 billion and think i've been screwed a little bit?

i mean, they need to make money, but they could easily set prices a little lower and still be VERY healthy.

iPhone for $399 and $499. i don't think that would cut into the BILLION dollar profit too much. :D

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
Boooo! I don't want Apple to turn into Windows and I don't want the Mac community to turn into the Windows community. Switchers make me :(

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Boooo! I don't want Apple to turn into Windows and I don't want the Mac community to turn into the Windows community. Switchers make me :(

Yep, it's simply awesome...Apple is moving quickly to become the BIGGEST computer/electronics company in the world. It's market share has more than doubled on a quarterly basis, compared to other crappy PC makers, and the iPod is the undisputed king of music...no competition, no comparison.

Apple can't stop blowing away analysts' forecasts...MS, move over and file your Chapter 11 papers...MS fanboys will follow.

GO APPLE! BANZAI!

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Microsoft has high gross margins

Just curious, what is the definition of gross margins for software companies?
(For hardware it's, very simplied, revenue minus production and distribution cost over revenue. But software has very small production and distribution costs.)

cynerjist

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2006
This is an interesting conference call. I like this better than the MacWorld keynote. There is interesting, informative real-world data here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.