Apple posts $63 Million Profit

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, Jan 14, 2004.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

Apple announced at $63 Million Profit for its First Quarter ending December 27, 2003.

Apple's Q1 Results Conference Call is presently ongoing

2. macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Great news for apple.

But its puzzling that only 40% of mac users are using osx. It seems like it would be more than that.

3. macrumors 6502

4. macrumors 68020

I've been wondering about that statistic as well. I guess it says Mac has a great installed base of users of older computers. But it also says those users aren't upgrading their machines (or keep them running in the corner as email only or something.

5. macrumors G3

QCassidy352

man! makes me wish I were a stock holder... fantastic numbers!

6. macrumors 6502a

Billicus

It's always good when Apple turns a profit. You have to remember that while new Macs are Mac OS X, there are a lot of people using Macintosh computers that can not run OS X.

7. macrumors 6502a

iChan

i wonder that is going to affect my Apple stock tomorrow... may even see a new 52-week high :)

8. macrumors 6502a

iChan

how many stocks does everyone have?

I only have 100 personally but % gains on them are quite impressive nonetheless.

9. macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

ones still on os9 are missing out and enjoying those crashes.:D

10. macrumors regular

Steamboatwillie

40% OS X users? I find that shocking but I started using Macs on OS X. After the fact I used a few Macs on OS 9 and scratched my head thinking "What is this?" I realize that there are alot of OS 9 users and I am sure that the OS is great/stable/fast etc but, on the surface anyways, OS X seems light years ahead! Maybe coming in late in the game my perspective is skewed...

11. macrumors member

Further, I wonder if that 40% number is 40% of "all Mac users" - a fairly nebulous number to calculate

or

"40% of all machines able to run OSX (Panther, Jaguar included?) are indeed running OSX"

hmm... numbers numbers.
    /ek

12. macrumors 68000

Stelliform

Does anybody know if Apple was projected to make $63 million? You know if they were projected to make $63.1 million and they only made $63.099 million their stock would drop by 50%. :rolleyes:

13. macrumors 65816

I wish I had 100 of Pixar and Apple stock right now.

14. macrumors 65816

sw1tcher

Well, Apple's stock is now down $1.216 (~5%). This is after hours trading.

15. macrumors member

In my house I have a Performa 575 running OS 7 (I think) my mom still fires up to word-process, a Bondi-Blue iMac with OS 8 for my grandma, and my Powerbook with OS 10.3 - making the installed user base of my house only 33.33% OS X. That 40% doesn't surprise me at all - if anything it's higher than I would have thought.

Davis

16. tny
    macrumors 6502

Honestly, no. System 7 was not known for rock-hard stability, for instance. My own feeling is that SJ got it right the second time around with NeXT, and reshaping Apple's products into a combination of the best of NeXT and Mac was exactly what needed to happen to make Apple competitive.

17. macrumors member

Remeber that many old macs are kept operational because they just work, or because they are cute. While in the PC world, new windozes often cause old hardware to be trashed.
    The 60% of mac's without Mac OS X would not be operational any more if they where PC's.

18. macrumors regular

I don't think 40% installation of X is bad considering the number of people I know who still are running older equipment.

My Dad still enjoys his Performa 575 w/ 7.6 for the small amount of DTP he does.

Fact of the matter is, that older macs still get the job done for a lot of people.

19. macrumors 6502a

Fender2112

You have to keep in mind that there are still a lot of older macs that work just fine. And people don't want to let go of them.

I think alot of folks are in the same situation that I was in. A move to OS X was more than just an OS upgrade. I had to buy all new everything. New computer, new monitor, new printer, new speakers, new software of all sorts. Because of the expense involved, I had to do this in small steps. Whenever I updated something I made sure it was OS X compatible. I held out upgrading my computer until the G5 was announced. When it arrived I had all the pieces in place and the transition was painless.

It's differnt when you have a realitively new computer and all you have to do is upgrade the OS and maybe a few drivers.

20. macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

Well, I have one Mac in the house with 7.5.3 running -- when I'm using that system. It's on the way out along with an old 386 pc: good for parts and not much more.

21. macrumors regular

I expect to be getting a thank you card from Steve.....

:)

22. macrumors member

Apple was projected to earn 15c per share this quarter. The actual profit was 17c per share.

Projections for the next quarter was 7c per share. During the conference call, Apple CFO indicated that they expect to earn 8c to 10c per share next quarter.

The after-hour selling regardless of good results is pretty normal. I wouldn't be surprised if the stock goes back up to high 23s or low 24s tomorrow.

23. macrumors 6502

fatfish

Not the case, Think OSX is solid, well OS9 is rock solid, many video editors and large networks have remained on OS9, I assume they'll change in time.

What you got to remember is OSX has only been out a couple of years, the upgrade cycle for the average mac user is longer than this (about 5 years I believe)

24. macrumors 6502a

iChan

where do you get figures for after hours trading?

25. macrumors 6502

A million here, a million there, pretty soon you're talking about real money.

And
    Still have a Motorola clone running 7.5.3.