Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Very nice.

And props on using Magical Mystery tour, really underrated song.

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

The Beatles were revolutionary and insanely talented songwriters...back in their era. Can we please get over it already? It's 2011, and people still lose their **** over them like it's still the 60's. At least this is just selling their music. I'm so sick of seeing commercials with Beatles tunes in them. They're great, and deserve respect; but they are overrated in my opinion.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Whether listeners like the Beatles or prefer modern bands doesn't really matter. Sure, they can sound underwhelming. Lennon himself said there wasn't a song in the catalog that wouldn't benefit from being re-recorded.

But as long as there are people who think it's fun to learn musical instruments and create pop songs, the Beatles & Led Zeppelin will impress the hell out them and sell albums.

Last edited:

fpnc

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2002
San Diego, CA
Well, with all of the Beatles related stuff that Apple has pushed out in the last day I wonder if there was something in the original contract that required Apple to spend money on promoting the Beatles if iTunes didn't reach a certain sales goal within the first year.

I mean the Beatles exclusive on iTunes must have come with "strings" and money attached and perhaps the sales haven't been as good as they had hoped.

The Beatles have sold over 10 million songs and 1.8 million albums through iTunes since their November 2010 debut.
That sounds like something over 30 million dollars, not chump change, but I wonder whether that even allows Apple to recoup what they spent to get the Beatles catalog on iTunes.

Last edited:

pwhitehead

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2011
new jersey
I wonder if this piece was done if final cut studio x? They should show the behind the scenes work putting it together; it looks really hard and time consuming. All and all, wonderful work apple team; you do it every time!

isoMorpheus

Jul 29, 2007
I wonder if this piece was done if final cut studio x? They should show the behind the scenes work putting it together; it looks really hard and time consuming. All and all, wonderful work apple team; you do it every time!

No way, I think the ad agency they work with had to do some serious and original drawings to pull this off.

Hayman1995

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2010
In the words of Lennon,
Let it Be.
:)

This is a great Ad because it's so understated. There's no- "ONLY 99.99 AT BESTBUY, WAL-MART, AND SHOP RITE!" or crazy sales people. Or cheesy people talking about it. It's simple, and really effective !

Lennon didn't write Let it Be.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
This ad is absolutely brilliant. And the fact that we're all talking about it here is more proof that the Beatles are just as relevant today — perhaps even more so — as they were a half-century ago.

Long live the kings!

Jonny Skyves

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2010
M25
From the heavens...

I hope Steve saw this.

Steve: Hey Bulldog
Lennon: Good Morning Good Morning
Steve: I Wanna Be Your Man
Lennon: Tell Me Why
Steve: I've Got A Feeling
Lennon: Tell Me What You See
Steve: I Need You
Lennon: If I Needed Someone
Steve: You Really Got A Hold On Me
Lennon: Do You Want To Know A Secret
Steve: I'm Down
Lennon: Money (Thats What I Want)
Steve: I Should Have Known Better
Lennon: Strawberry Fields Forever
Steve: Tell Me Why
Lennon: Baby You're A Rich Man
Steve: I Am The Walrus
Lennon: I'm A Loser
Steve: Your Mother Should Know
Lennon: From Me To You, Got To Get You Into My Life
Steve: Please Please Me
Lennon: Two Of Us, Revolution
Steve: Any Time At All
Lennon: With A Little Help From My Friends
Steve: Dig It
Lennon: Till There Was You, The Long And Winding Road
Steve: Why Don't We Do It In The Road, Come Together
Lennon: I Want To Hold Your Hand
Steve: You Can't Do That
Lennon: I'll Cry Instead
Steve: Cry Baby Cry ... It's All Too Much
Lennon: All You Need Is Love
Steve: Can´t Buy My Love
Lennon: Love Me Do
Steve: Not A Second Time, Don't Bother Me
Steve: I've Just Seen A Face

Along comes Yoko... (Is she dead yet?!!)

Lennon: Act Naturally
Steve: Lady Madonna
Lennon: Let It Be
Steve: A Taste Of Honey
Lennon: Slow Down, Day Tripper
Yoko: Oh! Darling, You Never Give Me Your Money
Steve: We Can Work It Out
Yoko: Honey Pie, Don't Let Me Down
Lennon: Words Of Love
Steve: Everybody's Trying To Be My Baby
Yoko: Ticket To Ride, I Need You
Steve: All I've Got To Do, A Hard Day's Night, Eight Days A Week, When I Get Home
I Wanna Be Your Man
Lennon: Things We Said Today, Every Little Thing, I'm Happy Just To Dance With You
Steve: You Like Me Too Much
You Know My Name (Look Up The Number)
I'll Be Back
Lennon & Yoko: All Together Now.... Help!
Steve: I Will, I Feel Fine, I'll Follow The Sun, Tomorrow Never Knows, When I'm Sixty-four Mr. Moonlight, Magical Mystery Tour, Taxman, Dizzy Miss Lizzy, Wild Honey Pie, Polythene Pam, Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da, Rock and Roll Music..... Happiness Is A Warm Gun....
Yoko: The Inner Light, Good Night
P.S. I Love You

fifthworld

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
This ad is absolutely brilliant. And the fact that we're all talking about it here is more proof that the Beatles are just as relevant today — perhaps even more so — as they were a half-century ago.

Long live the kings!

In the same way we should consider steam boats relevant today because of the box office success of the movie Titanic.

McKs

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2003

Long live the kings!

I'm tempted to think that the attraction of this ad lies more in the creative use of cover art than the music per se.
However, with garbage like lady gaga or shakira dominating main stream music, it's not hard to see why people long for old stuff.
I just think it's a shame we're always harkening all the way back to the Beatles. Their legacy, for me is mostly having inspired other musicians to create better music. They made a few truly great songs, though sadly, Magical Mystery Tour is not one of them, imo.

JackHobbs

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2009
London
Sometimes artist are important for what they do as well as what they produce. IMO the Beatles created some really good music but it's also their effect on the British pop music scene that was important. They helped herald a more British centric chart and a belief that you did not need to ape American music, good as it was and is, to succeed. Therefore any comments about how you don't like the Beatles and therefore they are irrelevant are a little pointless.

That said, this is also about personal taste and goes beyond music. There are some truly dreadful songs that I love because they bring back a time and place for me. And do you know what, it is OK for me to like music that you don't and vice versa. :D

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Technically a very nicely made advert, all credit to the people who made it.

As for the Beatles, well they are always "around" but never really bothered about them. It was more a "Girls Group" back then, all girls screaming, throwing their underwear at the young guys in the band scenario.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.