Apple posts Airport Express Update 4.0.1

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by zwida, Aug 26, 2004.

1. zwida macrumors 6502a

zwida

Mine have been working fine anyway. I installed and have had no adverse effects.

The details:

This update is recommended for all customers with AirPort Express base stations.

Apple AirPort website at www.apple.com/airport
    Apple Support website at www.apple.com/support

What's New in this Version
    Improvements to Profiles support in the AirPort Admin Utility
    Improve handling of WEP keys with third-party access points

***Sorry, meant to post this in Apple Hardware forum. Silly silly newbie.***

2. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

I hate it when updates come out for things that I haven't even been able to buy yet :p

3. zwida thread starter macrumors 6502a

zwida

Yeah, I just got REALLY lucky. My wife ordered it for me for my birthday back in July. I finally received it last week.

I've notice that when two Macs are on the Airport network at the same time, Airtunes stops working properly and there is intermittent dead air. This happened before the update and is still an issue. Ah well, I'll look for 4.0.2...

4. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

I've got 2 Macs on my Airport Express network and haven't ever noticed intermittent dead air with Airtunes. In fact, everything is working so well I think I'll wait a few days to upgrade...

5. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I have two Macs and two PCs on Airport Express and haven't experienced any issues, either. Are you sure everything is configured correctly?

6. relimw macrumors 6502a

Hmm, I guess I shouldn't tell you I've bought 3 and haven't had any real problems finding them (CompUSA tends to have a good bit of stock these days).

The only problem I've had so far with them is range. I have one printer that's located a good distance (with walls and whatnot blocking the signals) from the rest of the wireless network, that's had any problems.

7. zwida thread starter macrumors 6502a

zwida

Well that's a good question. When I received it, I simply added the Express to an existing network that has never had any trouble. I may tear the thing apart (two airport extremes and one express) and set up athe network again from scratch.

8. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I have range issues, too. My Linksys router was always at full strength even in the living room but with Airport Express, even in the same room as the router I only get about 70% signal. I don't get what's up with that, but hopefully an update at some point could fix it like the issues people had with Airport Extreme earlier this summer.

9. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

When I was first setting mine up I had an IP address conflict where both of the PCs would try to use the same address which would cause everything to stop working intermittently for a second or two. Perhaps something is conflicting with that, or if both Macs are trying to play to one stereo setup. Normally it will give you a dialogue box telling you that another computer is using the stream, but perhaps something is causing the signal to be blocked.

10. MontgomeryBurns macrumors member

This will happen if you are running a mixed mode (both 802.11b and 802.11g) network. That being, if you have both airport and airport extreme cards on your network. I've found that its only a problem when I'm streaming from the 802.11b machine, nothing bad happens when i try to stream from an 802.11g computer on a mixed mode network.
    The only workaround I know of is to turn your whole network down to 802.11b. Once you do this, your available throughput will go down but your 802.11b computer won't be stuttering the audio stream any more.

11. zwida thread starter macrumors 6502a

zwida

Hmmm, thanks for the tips on this. I'll have to check the settings on the network and on my wife's Powerbook. While there's no reason that 802.11b should be on the network, ya just never know...

12. Jo-Kun macrumors 6502a