Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

gmseed-1.jpg

With the announcement of an October 12 ship date for iOS 5, Apple today posted the Golden Master (GM) release of iOS 5 to developers this afternoon, with a build number of 9A334.

Apple notes that users "must use iTunes 10.5 beta 7 to install iOS 5 GM seed on your devices. iOS 5 GM seed is not available via over the air software update" and encourages users to back up their devices via iCloud before installing the GM.

Apple posted a GM seed of Xcode 4.2 as well, and notes that the GM seed "can now be used to submit iOS 5 applications to the App Store for review."

Article Link: Apple Posts iOS 5 Golden Master Seed for Developers

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Doesn't appear to have Siri, leading me to believe it's a 4S exclusive feature.

It was mentioned as such at the keynote ... Schiller said, "And that is Siri, the most exciting new feature of the iPhone 4S".

However, it may be able to be activated if a false/true string exists in the plist ... but performance on the iPhone 4 and the effect of enabling it may turn your iPhone 4 into a snail.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Doesn't appear to have Siri, leading me to believe it's a 4S exclusive feature.

They tied the Assistant feature into the iPhone 4S and mentioned it as a feature of the iPhone 4S. I suspect that is the case and it is not going to be available for the 4.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
I'm hoping this GM release will work the same as in the past for non-developer users as long as I use iTunes 10.5 beta 7?

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
silly question, i dont know if my iPhone 4 is still signed to a dev account but i want to try it. let's say it fails, will it tell me right away or do i have to restore and downgrade it somehow or will it just not install in the first place. thx

Xenc

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2010
London, England
It was mentioned as such at the keynote ... Schiller said, "And that is Siri, the most exciting new feature of the iPhone 4S".

However, it may be able to be activated if a false/true string exists in the plist ... but performance on the iPhone 4 and the effect of enabling it may turn your iPhone 4 into a snail.

They tied the Assistant feature into the iPhone 4S and mentioned it as a feature of the iPhone 4S. I suspect that is the case and it is not going to be available for the 4.

Wishful thinking to have it on the iPhone 4! :D

Um, is there an OTA update for this? Or is this a clean install?

Clean install.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
silly question, i dont know if my iPhone 4 is still signed to a dev account but i want to try it. let's say it fails, will it tell me right away or do i have to restore and downgrade it somehow or will it just not install in the first place. thx

If it fails you'll be able to install 4.3.5/4.2.10 again. GM builds usually don't fail, although I suspect this one will if you don't use the specified iTunes 10.5 beta 7.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
If it fails you'll be able to install 4.3.5/4.2.10 again. GM builds usually don't fail, although I suspect this one will if you don't use the specified iTunes 10.5 beta 7.

but why beta 7 i dont get it, there is a beta 9 :confused:

igazza

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
earth
I just downloaded itunes 10.5 beta 7 and its in another language lol

how do i change it ?

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
I just downloaded itunes 10.5 beta 7 and its in another language lol

how do i change it ?

r u talking about a language besides english? i think the beta is only avab in english at least thats always how i got it on my german mac book

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.