Apple Posts Revised Samsung Apology on UK Website, Hides It Below the Fold

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 5, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Over the past several months, we've been following the situation with a court case in the United Kingdom in which Apple was ordered to post an acknowledgement on its website and place advertisements in newspapers and magazines acknowledging that Samsung did not infringe upon the protected iPad design with its line of Galaxy Tab devices.

The original statement published by Apple playfully quoted statements from the judge's ruling saying that the Samsung Galaxy Tab was "not as cool" as the iPad and noted that it had won cases against Samsung in other jurisdictions, but the court did not take kindly to Apple's additions to the required text.

Apple has now posted revised text linked from its main UK page, with the new text appearing to be in compliance with the court's order. But as The Next Web points out, Apple has added a bit of code to its site to ensure that the notice can not be seen by users unless they scroll down the page.
    [​IMG]
    In our testing, a Safari window with the toolbar, bookmark bar, tab bar, and status bar turned on would have to be over 1700 pixels tall before the full Samsung text at the bottom of the page would be visible without scrolling.

The code is actually being used on a number of Apple's international sites that do not include the Samsung acknowledgement, giving the company the ability to claim that it was not specifically deployed to hide the statement, but it is not present on the main apple.com front page. It is also not the first time Apple has used such vertically responsive design, as it used similar scripts to adjust the layout of the main pages when the iPhone 5 was being featured.

Article Link: Apple Posts Revised Samsung Apology on UK Website, Hides It Below the Fold

2. macrumors regular

For the most part people wouldn't scroll down there in the first place, a sneaky move but if it puts an end to the whole scenario then who cares.

3. macrumors 65816

east85

Fair, next.

Seriously, can't blame Apple for trolling that troll judge back. :D

4. macrumors 6502

Sora

5. macrumors regular

It's kinda humorous going back and forth from apple.com to apple.com/uk to see the differences.

I'm sure they are pissed, but hopefully this doesn't just drag the whole thing out longer.

6. macrumors Core

alphaod

The judge isn't going to happy with this one, but it's legit.

7. macrumors regular

Lol! You want a written apology? Read it off my a**!!

8. macrumors newbie

Seriously funny. I love that a big corporate entity like apple can still be a sulky jackass. :cool:

9. macrumors regular

Sad

Shame Apple are acting like a little school boy, they should man up and accept they were found guilty, but then this is Apple the bully.

10. macrumors 6502a

crisss1205

I actually did notice this a few days ago on the US apple.com homepage.

11. r-m
    macrumors 6502a

what differences are there between apple.com and apple.com/uk ? other than the extra video and a few different tiles?
    Am I missing it =\

Attached Files:

12. macrumors 6502a

crisss1205

Your screen is not big enough to notice the difference.

13. macrumors regular

I can assure you any other company would do the same. Let's not join the Apple hate wagon here.

14. Macboy Pro, Nov 5, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2012

macrumors 6502a

What kind of teenagers are making these decisions at Apple? Just display the dang text and let the 30 days expire. If you are right and your product is great, you will be fine. Instead you look immature and arrogant.

15. macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Its not even the ruling on the first page. haha. Its an apology for mugging off the judge. You still have to click a link which nobody will be bothered to do.

16. macrumors member

Why not just take it like a champ? All this mess just seems immature to me.

17. macrumors newbie

18. macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Apple is becoming like a late 90s Microsoft, only with a teenager's attitude.

Really sad.

19. r-m
    macrumors 6502a

Could you (or anyone) post screenshots of both so us small screeners can see it?

20. macrumors 65816

lifeinhd

I would have gone with 1801 pixels to be safe, to ensure no one with a retina MBP running at native res can see it :D

21. macrumors member

Lost Rider

I for one am happy that Apple is remembering their roots and not conforming like sheep to the court after a silly ruling like that.
    Bravo Apple.

[​IMG]

22. macrumors 603

justperry

23. macrumors 65816

It does come across as a little smarmy but originally they followed the court order to the letter, but the judge didn't agree - he was being pedantic about the whole affair, so Apple responded like this, playing him at his own game.

24. macrumors 6502a

fowler.

It's called "responsive design", which Apple has been employing on their site for years, in one way or another.

This isn't anything new or conspiratorial.

25. macrumors 65816

Simplicated

Alright, people are starting to make up stories. This layout has been like this since the iPhone 5, when viewed on iPad in portrait mode.

Seriously people?