Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GTDaveMac

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2008
Yep, that's why the iPhone 4 has a microphone on the top next to the headphone jack.

Actually, the iPhone 4's extra microphone is to reduce noise for the person you are talking to. The iPhone 5 uses noise cancellation to also reduce background noise for you. Similar to how Bose or any other noise canceling headphones work. It's a feature that many don't realize is there.

Maybe the commercial didn't explain it as well as it should have.

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
They could release 2 new ads for the iPhone on the week when everyone is off but they can't release iTunes 11.

:confused:

Apple has ad agencies pitch ad ideas to them.

Will you guys seriously shut the hell up about iTunes 11? It'll be ready when it's ready. Look at what happens when Apple rushes software to market prematurely.

Z400Racer37

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2011
These ads are ****. again. If you need to SPEAK to get people to UNDERSTAND then its not INTUITIVE. HOW IS THAT SO HARD FOR THEM TO UNDERSTAND?!?!

I miss Steve... :(

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Question is, is that microphone in the 5 somehow better than the 4 or did they just change the shape of the darn thing and they expect people to upgrade?

4S just has top and bottom mics for cancelling background noise on the recipients end. This new third mic on the back helps cancel out noise through the earpiece on your end, so you can hear the other party when in loud environments.

It actually creates a strange feeling pressure in your ear when it turns on, but it does seem to actually work. I believe it essentially plays an inverted waveform back into your ear to cancel out the frequencies that are going in, so in theory all you should hear is the caller, but in reality the earpiece can't perfectly drown out every sound, but it still has a pretty dramatic effect.

----------

These ads are ****. again. If you need to SPEAK to get people to UNDERSTAND then its not INTUITIVE. HOW IS THAT SO HARD FOR THEM TO UNDERSTAND?!?!

Actually it is so intuitive that people don't even know about it when they have the phone, calls are just magically easier to hear when using the iPhone 5. The ad attempts to get this knowledge out there as it is something that pretty much every other phone does not do (They do cancelling for the recipient like iPhone 4/4S, but not for your own earpiece.)

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I agree with the comment about the photos; it was the first thing I thought as well. They all have that artificial light tint to them that us "amateurs" often experience. I would think for a commercial they would have used higher quality pics.

They want the photos to feel like real family photos, not pro shots.

overhearyou

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2011
That thanksgiving commercial made me cringe. Seriously? A token black couple shows up to thanksgiving with their son? As if they don't have a family of their own they would rather spend time with. So contrived and condescending.

I totally agree. I'm glad someone else said it so I wouldn't be labeled a bigot (I'm not saying you are).

Yeah, all of these ethnic groups totally hang out during Thanksgiving :rolleyes:

Thanks for the feel-good-isms Apple.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
They could release 2 new ads for the iPhone on the week when everyone is off but they can't release iTunes 11.

:confused:

The ads were made by an ad agency, not a division of Apple.

----------

Where can I get an iPhone 5 that simply says "LTE" as the carrier and NOT AT&T or Verizon in the states?

Can't. It only looks like that in the Ads cause they 'shop the images to remove any specific carrier. Wouldn't want folks getting confused and thinking the iPhone 5 was exclusive to just one company

----------

These are terrible. When did they start letting first year multimedia students take over their ad campaign?

These ads are not up to Apple's usual standards.

Okay, lets see your much better expertly done ads.

----------

I totally agree. I'm glad someone else said it so I wouldn't be labeled a bigot (I'm not saying you are).

Yeah, all of these ethnic groups totally hang out during Thanksgiving :rolleyes:

Thanks for the feel-good-isms Apple.

Actually sometimes they do. Perhaps not in your red neck back water where 'coloreds' are still hung for looking at a white person, but in other areas we are a bit more modern and diverse

Last edited by a moderator:

incoherent1

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2007
The pictures in the turkey one look really yellow and muggy. They look like pictures I'd take with my iPhone, not apple marketing materials.

This!

My first thought watching this commercial was "these photos look awful" -- not only the color, but the composition & lighting as well. Very un-Apple for them to miss that kind of detail (especially when the whole point of the ad is marketing the phone's camera/photo-sharing abilities).

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
The pictures in the turkey one look really yellow and muggy. They look like pictures I'd take with my iPhone, not apple marketing materials.

So you'd rather they use misleading DSLR photos instead? They're 16:9 as they were shot while taking a video (as you can do on the iPhone 5). At least Apple isn't trying to mislead.

Last edited:

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I agree with the comment about the photos; it was the first thing I thought as well. They all have that artificial light tint to them that us "amateurs" often experience. I would think for a commercial they would have used higher quality pics.

Ok, so why are the pictures in the turkey ad full screen, whereas the pictures I have taken on my 5 have the black bars on the top and bottom?

Zoomed in?

Or pre cropped to be the correct resolution?

Cropped for the commercial.

All of these are wrong. These photos were shot while taking a video as you can do on the iPhone 5. That's why they're in 16:9 and not HD. Apple isn't trying to mislead.

CindyRed

macrumors member
May 26, 2011
Agreed

How on earth is that snobbish? Have you seen some of Apple's ads against competitors? Have you seen SAMSUNG'S ADS!?

The Samsung ads that basically tell you that you're an idiot if you buy an iPhone? They usually have "Cool Guy McGee" wearing his Caulfield Prep coat and Paul Smith beanie using augmented reality maps, or some other mobile app gimmick like that on his daily walk past an Apple Store line. Love those. I was always afraid Apple users were perceived as pretentious and smug, but Samsung users have undoubtedly taken that crown with those ads.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009

They look worse than the pictures I get from my iPhone 4 camera. They're way too yellow.

The first ad told me something I didn't know already. That's a cool feature. The music in both ads is annoying, though. I think the first ad acknowledges that.

----------

Steve never made any of the ads, sorry.

----------

people need to stop taking pictures and especially video in portrait.

I HATE THIS! Yes, I'm all for a new feature on iOS that recommends that you turn the device the other way when you try to take photos and video in portrait style. I'm sick of seeing photos and videos that don't fit the screen that were shot by someone else.

macs4nw

macrumors 601

Truth in advertising perhaps?

kocoman

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2007
Are there tests that prove the 3 mic system works? does it work with voip apps?

thank

dreadnort

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
I've seen worst than that mate.
verizon-galaxy-note2.jpg

Right on the home button! Gross!!

This threads about the adverts not Samsung bashing again, the carriers put the logos on not samsung or any other maker.

i do like the apple ads
If this was an ad in the UK it will be the same turkey but you'd also see granny sat in the corner hammered on sherry and the nosie reduce feature will be that the iphone can mute out grannies farting :)

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
So you'd rather they use misleading DSLR photos instead? They're 16:9 as they were shot while taking a video (as you can do on the iPhone 5). At least Apple isn't trying to mislead.

These guys are insane.

Nokia had a commercial showing off the camera on their Lumia, except they used a different camera and doctored the ad. Well, they got a ton of flak for false advertising:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57507051-94/nokia-admits-it-simulated-lumia-camera-demonstration/

These people on here basically want Apple to falsely advertise the iPhone 5 camera because the photos look "yellow"?

Is this the bizarro world?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.