Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
Like I said above I can't wait for something like this to happen from Apple.

Yes card terminals are everywhere but 'contactless payment' terminals are VERY slowly replacing them. Just imagine not having to carry a wallet. No store cards, no credit cards, no debit cards.

Hell, in a perfect implementation no ID. Just wave your phone over a scanner (police, airport etc.) and authenticate with TouchID. No need to carry anything else.

That would be the opposite to redundant. Carrying cards would be redundant if mobile Oses could crack this problem with a clean implementation.

Obviously problems too - what if your battery dies for example, or your TouchID sensor breaks...

EDIT - I guess if the TouchID sensor breaks it could always revert to a pre-set password like it does today for iTunes Store purchases.

You typically have other things in a wallet as well, including cash sometimes. There is also a security issue, both in terms of losing the phone, and potential hacking since the phone is often connected to the internet. I prefer to have these things separate. A lot of innovation is engineering driven without regards to actual benefits, it's more an attitude of; just because it's possible, let's do it.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
To me NFC is just a redundant feature to what bluetooth & WIFI already does or can be made to do. The limited range is also a big negative.

When it comes to payments, limited range is a big advantage. You do not want too transmit you payment data to entire mall. With WiFi, what if every register on your floor decides to accept your payment? Do you really want that? BT is a little better but not by much. You can't pay by just touching the register by your phone because BT can sense your phone from several feet away.

CosmoFox

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2014
The only reason for any resentment to NFC on this forum has always been the fact that to admit that NFC is is a good thing is to admit that iPhone is lacking an important feature. The same is true about many other technologies (smaller tablets, larger phones, pressure sensitive pen, OLED displays and even LTE at some point). The silliness never stops.

No that's just Apple haterism.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
NFC has not taken off for payments.

Of course, Apple can single-handedly change that if they wish! They own the hardware and the software and the most viable developer base... they can make things succeed in the market that no other phone maker can.

Also, having NFC and BTLE in one system, able to use either, could be nice flexibility.

That said, there's too little smoke for me to believe it yet.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Just like MacRumors said it would on the iPhone 5 and then on the 5S and 5C.

Keep predicting it every time and maybe you'll get it right.

BMcCoy

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010
Plenty of anecdotal evidence in this thread to show that
a) contactless payments are already in use, but vary widely in prevalence, even by country/city
b) the technology is not the challenge.. (apart from perhaps interoperability, which needs to be agreed across the large retailers and banks)..
it's the user interface, process and feedback with the system that needs to be not just 'user-friendly' but carry a significant advantage over current payment methods.

On the handful of occasions when I've used a visa debit contactless card, I think it took longer, as I wasn't sure when to touch my card to the reader (there was no visual indicator for 'touch now') or when it had been received (there was no 'bleep' or green light) and no feedback to me that the correct amount had been taken, and just once, etc.

A phone could display that information, so feedback is an advantage over a contactless card.
But the process needs to be equally refined, and that's where the retailers and banks come in, and a phone manufacturer - even Apple - may have insufficient control over.

I hope they can overcome this though.. perhaps by looking at the many public transport systems across the world that use some kind of contactless card to access through automatic gates. Oyster cards in London. Suica cards in Japan. EZ-Link cards in Singapore.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
but wheres the mockup?

You've never seen a MasterCard Pay Pass or Visa Pay Wave terminal?

i have yet to see most stores / restaurants etc. even excepting credit cards to begin with in many places of europe, like germany is sooo behind on credit cards granted they have their own "EC Cards" but still

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
When it comes to payments, limited range is a big advantage. You do not want too transmit you payment data to entire mall. With WiFi, what if every register on your floor decides to accept your payment? Do you really want that? BT is a little better but not by much. You can't pay by just touching the register by your phone because BT can sense your phone from several feet away.

People make payments through the iPhone already for years. That has not changed. Using iBeacon technology it can sense how far away the phone is down to inches. Its something I've tested myself and is quite accurate.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Anyways, if the iPhone got NFC just now, how would they explain it at the unveiling? It may be a bit difficult to explain at this point in time. "We noticed that many of our competitors have NFC, so in order to compete we have included NFC in our phone." :rolleyes:

No, Apple would change the standard or adopt their own variation (heavily patented of course) in hopes of motivating global adoption of their solution instead of NFC. The spin would be how terrific the technology already out there could be BUT <insert a few jabs at anything that can be spun wrong with it now>. Then, "introducing NFC 2 <rebranded with some uniquely Apple name> which might have some compatibility with NFC but will generally need the world to license the variant from Apple to make it work as good as it will be spun.

6 months later: "Apple did NFC right"
2 years later: "Apple invented NFC"

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
It's a redundant solution, card terminals are already everywhere. No doubt there are companies that want the smart phone to become a wallet, but it provides very few benefits to the customer.

with NFC you theoretically wouldn't need to carry all of your credit cards.

Last edited:

ksnell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2012
If your iphone is in your breast pocket you have to chest pump the shop attendant to pay.

... in all seriousness the NFC will be in the iWatch not the phone. It will be the USP of the iWAtch IMO. If your have your phone with your watch you just reach out and wave at the counter to pay... easy

Better be in both, for being such an expensive phone. What if you happen to not be wearing the watch, or don't have one. If they want full adoption, they will add the functionality to as many devices as possible.

xero9

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2006
To be absolutely honest, I've not seen one NFC payment platform anywhere in my life, and I've heard others say the same.

You must live under a rock.. If you're in the US/Canada, have you ever been to a McDonald's, Tim Horton's, Petro-Canada, Metro, etc? Sorry most of my examples are Canadian, but I've even paid for a Coke out of a vending machine in Orlando with them.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it utilizes those contactless payment terminals. I use them every day with my MasterCard when filling up for gas, or paying for groceries.

rikscha

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2010
London
I'm not sure why everyone is complaining about NFC. in London its EVERYWHERE.

Paying for anything in my local shop, buying lunch, paying for public transport, everything at my supermarket, taxis. It can all be done with NFC. Its the same card machines, but the newer ones that have the four lights on top mean you can simply put your current account card on the top to pay. no PIn number, no receipt. EASY

NFC is here to stay

The iPhone could become an Oyster card. I wouldn't say no to that although, soon you will be able to use your debit/credit card as oyster as well (currently limited to buses only).

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
with NFC you theoretically would need to carry all of your credit cards.

Meaning you would need the credit cards with the NFC chip inside? It would not be possible to use NFC of a phone to make payment instead? If the credit card companies went along with it.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Insert "anti fan-boy" fan boy statements here.

It's equally unattractive and juvenile from both sides. Fanboys, whether for Apple, Android, or whomever, really need to stop with the flaming. One would almost think the demographic of this site was 12-15 year olds with some of the comments.

Your discourse with kdarling re; Apple/Samsung possible settlement was more of what this site should be, IMO of course.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Anyways, if the iPhone got NFC just now, how would they explain it at the unveiling? It may be a bit difficult to explain at this point in time. "We noticed that many of our competitors have NFC, so in order to compete we have included NFC in our phone." :rolleyes:

I would suspect if Apple does include this, there have been significant discussions with some major retails brands already. An announcement would have some decent weight if they were able to toss up a couple of dozen logos (Nike, Sephora, Aeropostal, Tommy Bahama, Gap/Gap Kids, Gymboree, Lululemon ... department/discount stores like Target) with a nice declaration of “supported in these retailers before Christmas!”

isn't Angela Ahrendts responsible for mobile payments?

She’s definitely the new strategist around mobile payments and retail:

http://9to5mac.com/2014/05/19/angel...emphasis-mobile-payments-revamped-experience/

Though I’m sure would be working closely with Eddy Cue for backend services implementation as well as the iOS dev team/Ive for user experience.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
People make payments through the iPhone already for years. That has not changed. Using iBeacon technology it can sense how far away the phone is down to inches. Its something I've tested myself and is quite accurate.

Are you really suggesting that stuffing the stores with iBeacon sensors to improve triangulation accuracy is a technically better solution?

alirz

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2011
Montreal,Canada
To be absolutely honest, I've not seen one NFC payment platform anywhere in my life, and I've heard others say the same.

Strange. Im in Montreal, Canada and almost all retail stores, gas stations etc with the exception of mom and pap's convenient stores, have had their terminals updated to take NFC payments from Visa, Mastercard(paypass) and even our debit cards have nfc built in.

I find it really convenient and use it all the time if the terminal takes it.

On another note, i've never understood why cellphone carriers have restrictions on allowing nfc in some countries.

E.g here in Canada, all the Android phones that have NFC built in, have had the nfc for payment feature disabled. e.g Google wallet does not work here and even though google has moved from google wallet to that other thing, its still blocked here..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.