Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple announced today that movies from major film studios are now available on the iTunes Store in Australia and New Zealand. Both movie purchases and rentals are available from studies including 20th Century Fox, The Walt Disney Studios, Paramount Pictures, Warner Bros. Entertainment, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc. (MGM), Sony Pictures Television International and Lionsgate.

The iTunes Store in Australia and New Zealand have over 700 films available for rent or purchase with new release titles available for purchase on the same day as DVD release.
“Movie fans in Australia and New Zealand can choose from a great selection of over 700 films for purchase and rent on the iTunes Store,” said Eddy Cue, Apple’s vice president of Internet Services. “iTunes provides an incredibly easy and fun way for people to discover and enjoy movies, and has quickly become the world’s most popular online movie store with customers renting and purchasing over 50,000 movies everyday.”

iTunes movies in Australia start at A$9.99 for catalog title purchases, A$17.99 for recent releases and A$24.99 for new releases. iTunes Movie Rentals are A$3.99 for library title rentals and A$5.99 for new releases, and high definition versions are priced at just one dollar more.

iTunes movies in New Zealand start at NZ$9.99 for catalog title purchases, NZ$17.99 for recent releases and NZ$24.99 for new releases. iTunes Movie Rentals are NZ$4.99 for library title rentals and NZ$6.99 for new releases, and high definition versions are priced at just one dollar more

Article Link

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
YES! Finally! :D

EDIT: here is proof

screencapture1ap9.jpg

arjaosx

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2008
New Zealand
Yes! always wondered what the use is of AppleTV is in NZ if you cannot actually get movies though it hehe, now the only problem is getting telcos to lower their broadband rates and we'll all be happy :D

retroneo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
This is great!

So do we now have parity with the US with everything Apple?

In the last few months:

iTunes Movies and Rentals
iTunes TV Shows
iPhone
iPhoto Printing

None of which were available here before....

Hopefully everything will be globally launched from now on.

stellaclose

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2006
48 hr Rental Period

This is new for the AUS iTunes movie rentals....48hrs to watch instead of 24hr in US

Attachments

• screen-capture.png
    screen-capture.png
    71.2 KB · Views: 150

stellaclose

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2006
We have 1 up on the US store - 48hr rentals! ie 48hrs to finish watching, instead of 24hrs in US

This is great!

So do we now have parity with the US with everything Apple?

In the last few months:

iTunes Movies and Rentals
iTunes TV Shows
iPhone
iPhoto Printing

None of which were available here before....

Hopefully everything will be globally launched from now on.

MacGohil

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2008
Auckland, NZ
Yes! always wondered what the use is of AppleTV is in NZ if you cannot actually get movies though it hehe, now the only problem is getting telcos to lower their broadband rates and we'll all be happy :D

Even though I agree with lowering the Broadband tariff.... But still I feel..... "We can never win".....

MacGohil

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2008
Auckland, NZ
Yeah... This would definitely justify the :apple:TV purchase :D.
But I will wait for the next Hardware Rev from Apple... With the falling prices of HDD and SSD I am sure apple will pull out a revision pretty soon.... I am waiting apple for pimped up :apple:TV! :rolleyes:

stracky

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2006
okay so someone has to do it..... whats with the pricing of the full movie? $25 - same cost in US store is $15 and our exchange rate is hanging around 90% of US dollar. i can probably go to Target and get the double disc special edition box for $28-29...

okay rant over, it is nice to see we finally have the movies avaliable in aus and NZ but i think i will keep using the US itunes store for now

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Yay!

Now the :apple:TV will work properly AND new release movies are about $5 cheaper than a DVD!!

Things are good for we Aussies at last.

mogzieee

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2008
London, UK
Both movie purchases and rentals are available from studies including 20th Century Fox, The Walt Disney Studios, Paramount Pictures, Warner Bros. Entertainment, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc. (MGM), Sony Pictures Television International and Lionsgate.

Not Universal Studios?

Kace

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2005
Sydney
woohoo! finally

can justify getting an apple TV now.

prices arent too bad either. maybe a little steep for older movies.
rental price is avg. though they should make it cheaper for bulk renting

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
Great News!

Too bad a lot of us don't have the internet connections that can actually make this conveniently useable…
12 Gig caps…256 KBit plans. Still, it's great to see Apple extending their services :D

I hope Telstra upgrades their plans soon!

The 48 hours is to give us time for the download....

Glad to see they restructured the pricing to factor in the excess download charges we pay for anything more than a few MB of download...

I just hope Groundhog Day is there!

booksacool1

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2004
Australia
And this helps the Kiwi's and Aussie's who generally have very small bandwidth caps how?

Small bandwidth caps? I'm on ADSL2+ (~12mbit)/50gb in brisbane. About $1.20/GB, not that I'd waste it on itunes.

But yeah, I suspect that the ADSL1/telstra port users will find the data costs too great. This probably constitutes most Australians.

Kace

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2005
Sydney
okay so someone has to do it..... whats with the pricing of the full movie? $25 - same cost in US store is $15 and our exchange rate is hanging around 90% of US dollar. i can probably go to Target and get the double disc special edition box for $28-29...

okay rant over, it is nice to see we finally have the movies avaliable in aus and NZ but i think i will keep using the US itunes store for now

true but we've always paid more. the same target DVD that costs 28-29 would cost like 15 in the US.
besides the AUD is plummeting 10 cents down to the dollar in a month.
and not to mention the size of the market, the greediness of the executives here....
still waiting for the ringtones store for my new white 3g iphone. i mean come on how hard can it be. doesnt a smaller market mean less red tape???

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
Small bandwidth caps? I'm on ADSL2+ (~12mbit)/50gb in brisbane. About $1.20/GB, not that I'd waste it on itunes.

But yeah, I suspect that the ADSL1/telstra port users will find the data costs too great. This probably constitutes most Australians.

But how much does that plan cost?
Outside main centers ADSL 2 is very limited and very expensive :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.