Apple Preparing to Begin Shipping Fifth-Generation iPod Touch to Customers

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 5, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    At last month's media event, Apple introduced the fifth-generation iPod touch, a revamped version of the device offering the same 4-inch display found in the iPhone 5 and a number of different color options. While Apple immediately began taking pre-orders for the device, availability was set for a rather vague "October" timeframe.

As of earlier today, some of those early pre-order customers have begun reporting that their order statuses have shifted to "Preparing for Shipment", the final stage before being passed off to delivery companies. At least one customer has reported that his credit card has also been charged.

The move toward availability comes just after users noted yesterday that shipping estimates for new orders of the fifth-generation iPod touch through the Apple Online Store in Australia had shifted from the vague "October" to "3 weeks". Those following through and placing orders were finding an expected delivery date of October 29. A similar shift was seen in the New Zealand online store, with deliveries there scheduled for November 2.

These new orders are, however, likely to be delivered somewhat after the first batch of pre-orders placed as much three weeks or more ago, and shipping estimates for new orders in the Australia and New Zealand stores have since reverted to the previous "October" timeframe.

Update 8:39 AM: Mac Otakara reports that the official launch day for the new iPod touch and iPod nano in Japan is October 9, although early supplies are likely to be tight.

Article Link: Apple Preparing to Begin Shipping Fifth-Generation iPod Touch to Customers

2. macrumors regular

easy4lif

3. macrumors 68020

Love the new iPod touches. Too bad I have an iPhone 5.

4. macrumors newbie

mine has moved to "Preparing for Shipment" and my credit card has been charge :) cant be long until reciving a shipping date

5. macrumors 601

Yvan256

LCD display

I wonder if this time around the iPod touch will have the same IPS LCD display as the iPhone. This would help explain the 100$ premium over the previous generation.

6. macrumors 6502

bigandtasty

Not to fear, at least you'll have the same scratches to share as those new touch owners.

7. macrumors member

AF08

What premium?

The 32 gig 4th gen was also $299.

8. macrumors regular

gregwyattjr

9. macrumors member

AF08 is right about the price, but apparently it has the exact same screen as the iPhone 5 this time around, not just the same resolution.

Also, they put up a nice tribute video for Steve Jobs and Tim wrote a short letter on the intro page.

10. macrumors regular

easy4lif

Yes has the same screen. (4th gen didn't have IPS tech), but price points are the same over last years models

11. macrumors 65816

ya.. I'm on the same boat. Had I not went the iphone route I would have seriously considered getting one

12. macrumors G3

mattopotamus

They start at 32 gig not 16

13. AngerDanger, Oct 5, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2012

macrumors 68000

AngerDanger

Wow, after hearing about the success of the iPhone 5 and supply constraints, I'm amazed that they're actually going to start shipping these.

[​IMG]

14. macrumors regular

The previous gen cheapest iPod Touch was $199, now the cheapest one is $299.

15. macrumors 65816

But the cheapest one is now 32gb instead of 8gb.

I'm glad they're phasing 8gb iDevices out. 8Gb isn't enough to do anything, especially when iOS eats up 1Gb before you've even started.

16. macrumors 6502

RoelJuun

I'm interested in what colors you guys choose, I find the iPod Touch hideous in all colors except for black/white. Not to mention the iPod Nano with its 'interface'…

17. macrumors 6502

Great! That means my new iPhone should be shipping soon.

/sarcasm

18. macrumors member

AF08

For an 8 gig model. Now for $199 you get a 16 gig 4th gen iPod touch. Double the storage, same price...

The 4th gen 32 gig, was $299. The 5th gen 32 gig is also $299. No premium.

Just no 16 gig 5th gen.

19. macrumors member

Howard Ellacott

You can now buy 16GB of the 4th gen for $199

20. macrumors 65816

japanime

I love the new design. It looks to me to be much nicer than the previous-generation nano, which I find difficult to use when exercising (the on-screen controls are just too small).

21. macrumors 6502a

igazza

22. sza
    macrumors regular

Nothing new. Apple is kinda lost, we need the next generation of Steve Jobs. :rolleyes:

23. macrumors 6502a

RightMACatU

24. macrumors 6502

Apple couldn't get a high profit margin on a 5th gen iPod touch with 8gb so they now start at 32GB.

25. macrumors 6502a

neuropsychguy

It has the same display as the new iPhone: "4-inch (diagonal) widescreen display with Multi-Touch IPS technology".