Apple Preparing to Release Updated AirPort Express Base Station

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 13, 2011.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    AppleInsider reports that Apple is preparing to release an updated version of its compact AirPort Express wireless base station. Hints of the imminent refresh come from shortages of the existing model being observed at several third-party retailers, but the most concrete evidence comes from a source reporting that Apple is finishing work on its AirPort Utility 5.6 software which makes reference to the new model.
    Similar references to updated Time Capsule and AirPort Extreme models were discovered in the public release of AirPort Utility 5.5.3 back in June, with the new models debuting a week later.

That update brought increased storage capacities for Time Capsule models, as well as improved range and performance. It is unclear exactly what changes Apple has in store for the AirPort Express, but similar wireless performance improvements may be the focus of the update.

Article Link: Apple Preparing to Release Updated AirPort Express Base Station

2. macrumors 68040

tigres

Really hope this is true, need more Airport...

3. macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

I was going to buy another one soon. Guess I'll sit tight.

4. macrumors regular

I hope this isn't their way of "fixing" the wifi problem associated with Lion.

"Your old Airport works fine except when your Lion-run machine wakes from sleep? Obviously, you need to buy a new Airport."

5. macrumors regular

Keep the price and give it an HDMI out, to wirelessly stream not only Music, but your entire desktop. That would rock, at least imo. Likely not to happen, though...

6. macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

Wonder what the update will bring. Stronger signal strength? Thunderbolt?

7. macrumors 603

troop231

Maybe Apple will unveil it next week at the event.

8. macrumors regular

I wonder if it will have airplay as well as airtunes? Wifi N but what else would they add?

9. macrumors 68040

tigres

Maybe we will soon be able to Airplay on multiple speakers like Remote with the new update to software/APExp

10. macrumors 6502a

Craiger

I assume the software update will bring back to my mac icloud support instead of mobile me.

11. macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

Tim comes out. Every one is pumped to see the new iPhone 5. Then he pulls a new Airport Express Base Station out of his pocket :D

12. macrumors 68040

faroZ06

How come MacRumors talks about this but not that the MacBook was discontinued in favor of cheap MBPs...or did I miss an article?

13. macrumors 603

troop231

Haha, that was a good laugh. :D

14. slrandall, Sep 13, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2011

macrumors 6502

MacBook Airs, you mean. And they did. Back when it happened.

15. macrumors 6502a

UnseenLlama

Isn't that called an AppleTV? :)

16. macrumors 603

troop231

17. macrumors 68020

applesith

That was addressed back when the refresh happened. Why would they bring it up now?

18. macrumors 6502a

19. macrumors 6502

thelonelylimo

20. Caliber26, Sep 13, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2011

macrumors 65816

Caliber26

Halleloo!!!

This little fella is one of my favorite pieces of Apple stuff. Although the five that I have throughout my house are tucked away behind furniture or speaker systems, I would like to see a new form factor. As much as I love the AirPort Express, I think it looks rather dated.

Also, if they'd lower the price and offer an AirPlay-only version (drop the router functionality), I'd be even happier, since I only use them for streaming audio.

21. macrumors 6502a

foodog

What possible use could you foresee by adding Thunderbolt to a Wifi device? USB 2.0 is faster than 802.11n already.

22. macrumors regular

millypede

What event?

23. macrumors 68020

applesith

Really? The next expected event is for the iphone/ipod update.

24. macrumors 68030

APlotdevice

25. macrumors regular

I hope they will fix these things:

- If you have a printer connected to AE, it needs to be on 24-7 unless you want to reboot AE every time you want to use the printer. Same thing happens when the printer slips into power save mode. Nice environmentally friendly thinking.

- The frequent lost connections that require manual rebooting because the mac can not find the AE.

- Not directly the fault of AE but iTunes crashes every time it tries to connect to an Airplay device that's already in use by another app, for example Airfoil by Rogue Amoeba.

It would be about time.