Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexandero

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2004
So, the rumor is now dead? Any follow-ups?

The rumor is dead, and unless Apple releases an upgrade within the next three weeks (aka before Thanksgiving) we won't see a new revision before mid/late January. Unfortunately.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
The rumor is dead, and unless Apple releases an upgrade within the next three weeks (aka before Thanksgiving) we won't see a new revision before mid/late January. Unfortunately.
:( I'm afraid Apple will discontinue the product...

gtmac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
Airplay only would be perfect. I've acquired 5 via craigslist and the like, because $110 just to stream music is too high. Can't figure out why anyone would pay the outrageous prices for built in airplay speakers when you can pick up an AE for <$50 used.

Same here!!!

alexandero

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2004
Why would you say that. It is the only network device they offer that can offer AirTunes. AirPlay is limited to playing one device at a time, not the whole home setup.

The AE won't be discontinued without replacement, but the question is if we'll see a cheaper and smaller AirPlay hardware without routing/printing functionality any time soon.

I'd appreciate such a move, as having a AE and an Time Capsule right next to each other makes me wonder why it's really necessary to own two routers just for that stupid tiny headphone jack which could easily also be part of the Time Capsule itself.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Update: I visited Apple Store in Hong Kong today and the Airport Express was out of stock. Maybe an update is really imminent. I always saw a few on the shelf before this weekend.

----------

Update: I visited Apple Store in Hong Kong today and the Airport Express was out of stock. Maybe an update is really imminent. I always saw a few on the shelf before this weekend.

Also, the HK online store is now showing "Ships: 1-2 business days"

----------

----------

Also, the HK online store is now showing "Ships: 1-2 business days"
But the US store is still showing : In stock :(

ofixler

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2011
Hmm. Not sure whether to wait or go ahead and buy it now. Seems likely Apple will release a new model shortly (given this model was released back in 2008), but not sure if the number of stores out-of-stock is a sign. Plus, Amazon is apparently discounting them by 50% in the US...

kfscoll

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2009
Hmm. Not sure whether to wait or go ahead and buy it now. Seems likely Apple will release a new model shortly (given this model was released back in 2008), but not sure if the number of stores out-of-stock is a sign. Plus, Amazon is apparently discounting them by 50% in the US...

As far as I can tell Amazon.com in the U.S. shows them OOS and still at full price.

Nico-Jean

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2012
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; nl-nl) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Considering buying an airport express, but not so keen on buying an old model if a new one is about to be launched. Does anyone have an update on this story?

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; nl-nl) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Considering buying an airport express, but not so keen on buying an old model if a new one is about to be launched. Does anyone have an update on this story?

i'm with you, I've been using my airport express for almost 3 years now, had it replaced 4 times. Now that its out of warranty, I do not want to buy one now when I can feel a new one is due for a release.

I'm in the market to buy a new wifi router, something lighter. I have my eye on this unit now:
http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=901
The AE is pretty heavy for travel and I dont need wireless audio in a hotel. once i have a look at the size of this D-link, Ill likely leave the AE at home until it dies and needs to be replaced or perhaps my d-link will do that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.