Apple Preparing to Upgrade AppleCare with 24/7 Chat Support, Revamped Website

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 7, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple is preparing to launch several enhancements to its AppleCare services including 24/7 access to chat support services, reports 9to5Mac . The company is reportedly planning to launch the expanded chat services on August 12, although that target date may not yet be firm.

Alongside the expanded chat services, Apple will also be launching a redesigned AppleCare support website, featuring large, easy-to-click buttons similar to those that have appeared in other areas of the company's site.
    [​IMG]
    Apple is in the middle of a significant revamp of its AppleCare services, making plans to shift to per-user subscription offerings rather than specific device coverage. The company is also making a move to perform more repairs rather than replacements on iPhones at its retail store Genius Bars, as seen with the new iPhone 5 display replacement program.

Article Link: Apple Preparing to Upgrade AppleCare with 24/7 Chat Support, Revamped Website

2. macrumors 6502

Not sure that I consider support via chat to be an upgrade.

3. macrumors 65816

I hope our devices that are currently in (or expired out of) applecare will be included in this new program. My feeling is that an iPad should have more than two years of applecare, as the replacement cycle is longer than a cell phone.

I am looking forward to finding out the details of the new applecare when it is released.

4. Guest

Sky Blue

Poor Apple Care. Most questions will be "I upgraded to iOS 7 beta now my phone doesn't work, How I get back to iOS 6??"

5. macrumors 68000

darthraige

Real chat support or "Siri type" chat support?

6. macrumors 6502a

dragje

I think this is good, both for Apple and for customers. Good job Apple!

7. macrumors 68000

keysofanxiety

Excellent. Whilst other PC OEMs make cuts in their support, Apple pool more money into theirs. :D :apple:

8. macrumors G4

Chupa Chupa

Per user subscription sounds interesting and compelling if not too expensive, but how can it not be? I don't buy AppleCare now because I don't see the value prop -- most credit cards double the warranty and I can do my own troubleshooting. I usually "trade-in" every 1.5 years so the extra year AC offers is of no value to me. If I really have a tough issues I go see a "Genius".

I also like the online chat. Finally! Hopefully it will include a feature that will let the user give Apple permission to remotely access the machine so they can quickly determine if it's user error or a machine or s/w defect.

9. macrumors 68030

macs4nw

Not a great fan of 'chat care' either, but I do like the 24/7 part, although that may be moot, if you ultimately still have to actually 'talk' to a human being, for final resolution of a problem.

10. macrumors 68020

teknikal90

Soon the prerequisites of getting a genius appointment is a chat session

11. macrumors 65816

Four oF NINE

This sounds like a great development. I'll be watching with interest.

12. macrumors G4

Chupa Chupa

Right now Apple's baseline support is fairly skimpy - 90 days of phone support on a 1 year warranty. Do you know how many hoops you have to jump through when you call Apple after the first 90 days if you don't have a paid AC even though your product is still on warranty? It's easier just to go to the store -- waste of gas and pollution creator that might be.

Apple's not losing money by the revamp, I guarantee you. They are just manipulating customers to buy more Apple products because everything will be covered under a single, likely quite expensive AC plan.

13. macrumors 68040

Jaro65

That wouldn't be good.

14. macrumors 68020

I hope we hear more about this move soon. The cost of those AppleCare plans really mount up when you buy a lot of Apple kit.

I still think they should offer a standard 2 year warranty on all their products given the premium pricing.

15. macrumors 6502a

dragje

I don't. Almost all "geniusses" are students with an average knowledge about hardware. Been twice to the Genius Bar and twice those "genius" people didn't had a clue where to look for. I rather see a nerd on a chat box if:

- it's truly a nerd (nerd in a positive context)
    - instant help (no long waiting times)
    - it's not to expensive

Saves me also a trip all the way down to an official Apple Store.

----------

Indeed, no genius people please, they are good for selling products but I've got bad experiences when it comes to knowledge about hardware.

16. RMo
    macrumors 65816

Never used it with Apple, but I actually prefer chat with Dell. As long as it's a human (i.e., that the 24/7 part isn't a Siri-esque robot), I don't see the problem.

17. macrumors G5

gnasher729

Well, the answer to that is quite simple: You're on your own.

18. macrumors 6502

Good luck making a claim on card coverage, especially at a lower personal cost than just eating the repair/replacement.
    You speak Hindi?

19. macrumors 6502

+1

20. macrumors G4

Chupa Chupa

Understand, but if you want Apple warranty service then you have to go through online support or a genius. No choice there. Usually if I can't self-troubleshoot then something is wrong w/ the hardware. It's easier to go to a genius than call up support if you don't have Apple Care + most repairs can be done in-store and ready w/i a day if the part is in stock.

Aw, ye of little confidence. I appreciate your sincere "good luck" thought but not needed. Twice AMEX has done a solid for me w/ their extended warranty service. Most recently on a MacBook Pro whos SD card slot fritz out. The only fix was a new logic board. I took it in to Apple, the Genius confirmed and gave me a repair estimate. I faxed the estimate to AMEX and they credited my account for the $500-something repair within days.

And no, I don't speed Hindi but I'm well traveled and I do understand what people are trying to say in english when it's not their native language. I am at least that smart. ;)

21. macrumors 6502a

Maschil

replacement cycle is longer?

22. macrumors regular

A per-user program would be great for people with several devices. Hopefully it would include accessories such as airport extreme etc.

That said, the only problem I've ever had with my Apple products have been fixed for free out of warranty.

23. macrumors regular

Although if properly implemented, that could reduce appointment times at the genius bar for all the 'non problems' (such as the speaker not working, except thats the mic, or they've turned airplane mode on by accident and are demanding a replacement phone) they get.

Pre iphone, I could get a genius bar appointment within a couple of hours, now its 3-4 days.

24. macrumors regular

Because then, day or night, they can tell you to bring your device to the nearest retail store. LOL!

25. M-O
    macrumors 6502a

M-O

i agree. online chat is awesome. i don't have to go anywhere or talk to anyone. i can do it while i'm watching tv so i don't get frustrated with the long wait for the responses... It's great.

however, i have done it through apple, and the problem is that they are not really in sync with the genius bar. i had an issue with my battery while under applecare and the online rep told me it was covered and set me up an appointment. i took it in and they told me it wasn't, and the replacement was $129. eventually they agreed to waive the charge because of what i was told on the phone, but they really went out of their way to make sure i knew they were doing me a favor.

i couldn't understand why the online service case number was not accessible by the in store genius. makes no sense. the whole reason i started with online support was to verify i could be helped before traveling all the way to the apple store.