Apple Prevented Volkswagen From Exhibiting Wireless CarPlay at CES

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 8, 2016.

1. MacRumors
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has blocked German car maker Volkswagen from showcasing wireless CarPlay connectivity at CES in Las Vegas this year, according to a report from Car and Driver. Apple introduced the ability to connect an iPhone wirelessly to CarPlay in iOS 9, but there has yet to be a commercial release for an infotainment system that supports the function.

[​IMG]
    The current CarPlay setup requires users to connect an iPhone to a vehicle via USB port, and many have seen the wireless feature as a natural evolution of the in-car system. Although Tannerberger didn't divulge the specifics behind Apple's stonewalling, it is likely the Cupertino company wanted more control over all of the elements going into the public debut of the wireless feature.

In lieu of its inability to show off wireless CarPlay features, Volkswagen used its CES booth to demonstrate a new project that connects a smartphone to a car's infotainment system and mirrors its functions and controls. The car maker used an open-sourced standard called MirrorLink, unavailable on iPhones, to show off the technology, which would let users stream content from a smartphone and onto the in-car system. Volkswagen was said to "envision" the feature working in tandem with a wireless charging system to keep a phone topped off.

CarPlay news has been flowing out of CES this year, with companies like Kenwood, JVC, Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and others announcing incoming support for Apple's in-car system. There are still a few opting out of the service, however, including Toyota, which decided to go with SmartDeviceLink over CarPlay and Android Auto earlier in the week.

Article Link: Apple Prevented Volkswagen From Exhibiting Wireless CarPlay at CES

2. profets
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68000

Why make wireless CarPlay part of iOS 9 if it can't be demonstrated by auto manufacturers?

3. KindredMAC
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

KindredMAC

Apple doesn't want anyone stealing their thunder because they will probably give a demo of it at WWDC in June.

4. griz
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

5. amro
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

6. shareef777
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

shareef777

Damn, 2016 CarPlay based vehicles are already outdated lol.

7. dmelgar
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

Toyota as the only holdout for Carplay? Toyota making lots of serious mistakes these days. Hydrogen cars are their big focus and its a lost cause. Battery electric is where its at and they're ignoring that area. It takes enormous energy to compress and transport hydrogen. Its a horribly inefficient, complex and expensive fuel to use rather than use batteries to store electricity for which there's already infrastructure in everyone's home.

8. zYxMa
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors member

zYxMa

Nothing to do with VW's emission scandal?

I do think so.

9. BruiserB
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

Are any of the current wired CarPlay systems supposed to be upgradable to wireless CarPlay with future software updates? Or is a hardware change necessary to enable this?

Maybe Apple wants iOS 10 at WWDC to have a wireless theme. Wireless headphones, wireless charging, wireless CarPlay. Wonder how the invitation will hint at this?? :)

10. dark_knight177
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

dark_knight177

That's why I don't want CarPlay in my car. Another walled garden. I tried CarPlay in my car and it is slow and laggy, ended up not using it ever again.

11. zYxMa
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors member

zYxMa

"For your own safety" I think a whole new car will be needed ;)
    Who manufactured the hardware that ran CarPlay in your car?

12. adamjackson
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

It's enabled via Hardware. I have a 2016 Golf R and it's USB Only. I emailed VWoA about Wireless support and they said it requires additional hardware to work.

This is indeed correct but personally, I like charging my iPhone in the car and I would imagine Wireless CarPlay drains the battery since the screen is being mirrored over the air. I prefer arriving to work with 100% battery than 90%.

Why would you think that? If you were in Apple's shoes, what be your actual reasoning for shunning VW because they cheated on EPA tests?

Is there another wireless CarPlay auto-maker exhibiting @ CES? If there is, are they allowed to exhibit without Apple requesting they not show the function? Then I'd say your point is more valid.

13. verpeiler, Jan 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2016

verpeiler
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

verpeiler

Nah, why? Makes absolutely no sense. Why would they take part in a political witch-hunt... would be very cheap.

14. alexgowers
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

Really! I'm still bemused that carplay was EVER wired? I mean why do we need wires for this stuff when we can backup video, pictures, app data, messages, emails, contacts, music, streaming, etc etc but hey connect to a car for simple phone functions and you need to tether it! what????

15. HiRez
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 603

HiRez

Yeah, that was my first thought as well. I think Apple just doesn't want VW tarnishing its brand by association, which is pretty bad for them. VW is toxic right now and they may not have seen the worst of it as the lawsuits are just starting to gear up.

16. CharlieBrandt09
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

CharlieBrandt09

Which system. I just got a 2016 Chevy Silverado and it works great! I don't mind the wired connection. I put it in my console storage box, plus it in and forget about it. Plus, it charges the phone VERY fast.

I'm much more interested in new CarPlay apps. C'mon Waze. That and tweaking Siri to be more robust in the car.

17. ProjectManager101
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

ProjectManager101

As an analogy.... a client asked us to do two new things in a video, they are silly but I have been figuring out for two weeks how to make that work in the workflow and is affecting everything, so much that I may have to let go a provider and have another person in house because the communication has to be constant during the day. A very little detail can imply loads of changes you are not aware of. So be sure Apple knows why they are doing it.

18. HiRez
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 603

HiRez

I agree, but the problem is Bluetooth sucks. It's always been really flakey when it comes to connectivity and it doesn't have a high bandwidth for data either. I have 3 Bluetooth speakers at home (by 3 different manufacturers) and just trying to get them to switch back and forth between my wife's iPhone and mine is maddening.

Someone *cough*Apple*cough* really needs to come up with a modern Bluetooth replacement that is high-bandwidth, easy to connect/pair, easy to switch connections between multiple devices, and reliably holds a connection once paired.

19. MH01
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors G3

MH01

Guess Apple wants to showcase the tech in their own car...

20. mdelvecchio
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68030

mdelvecchio

wait -- how does the optional CarPlay support in your car possibly harm or limit you? and if you have an iphone, why wouldnt you want native support for it?

21. webbuzz
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

webbuzz

Doubt it has anything to do with the scandal.

22. celebrityoasis
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors newbie

23. tmoney468
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

They should make CarPlay similar to the apple watch system. Have an app installed on your iPhone you want in CarPlay? Go into the CarPlay settings, click enable Carplay and voila.

Prob. too many issue though, people adding twitter and facebook to CarPlay :/

24. aliensporebomb
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68000

aliensporebomb

What the hell is this article talking about? My friend has a Toyota Avalon with an aftermarket Pioneer stereo and it has Carplay and connects via bluetooth, not some kind of USB connection. Unless he figured out some way of making it work that Apple is somehow totally unaware of.

25. drewyboy
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

I'm guessing something like "There's electricity in the air". People will freak out about the MBA getting updated but it'll be about wireless everything iOS related.