Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joshnappa

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2011

So the notifications center derived from Android I suppose?
The new lock screen with the direct link to your messages, Android feature on some phones once again.
Split keyboard for iPad - New Windows 8 tablet feature announced a week ago.
Wireless hotspot (from previous iOS version) - Android features once again.

Cmon Apple.

ph00ny

macrumors member
May 28, 2011
So the notifications center derived from Android I suppose?
The new lock screen with the direct link to your messages, Android feature on some phones once again.
Split keyboard for iPad - New Windows 8 tablet feature announced a week ago.
Wireless hotspot (from previous iOS version) - Android features once again.

Cmon Apple.

while they're at it, they should also add pc to device wifi sync capabilities similar to kies air on samsung galaxy s2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8l328_nUALE

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
Windows Phone 7 does the whole 'iCloud' thing with liveMesh and skydrive, which has been out for a while.

Actually, iCloud is pretty different to Mesh and Skydrive. It is the application data backup that is the big deal here. As well as purchases automatically being pushed down to devices.

ph00ny

macrumors member
May 28, 2011
Actually, iCloud is pretty different to Mesh and Skydrive. It is the application data backup that is the big deal here. As well as purchases automatically being pushed down to devices.

Isn't that what google is doing with android devices?

ph00ny

macrumors member
May 28, 2011
I'm fairly certain there's a way to view android apps online and push it to your phone...

it's called market.google.com
apppush.jpg

Also app data sync is builtin to 2.3+
sc20110607041030.jpg

Last edited:

ToM7

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2008
Israel
ok

can anyone explain me what the hell apple did to the ipod icon???
it's can be like that !! y the hell they change it ?? i didn't like it :/
they must return back the ipod icon this is what all about
P.S.
IOS 5 is sweet :):apple:

captain kaos

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2008
UK
Wireless syncing and the notifications overhaul were long overdue. I think those are the features I'm looking forward to the most.

I agree. This and a better battery life (read not having to turn off all these nice new things), is what may bring me back to the iphone!

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
So Apple have come up with a "new" notification system, that just so happens to resemble Android's take on it. It seems that the 'scroll down' notification centre is the most logical and unobtrusive (to the user experince) method of achieving the desired result, so Apple have run with it ... and about time too. Yet the fanboys want to have a 'willy waving' competition as to who does it better or who introduced it first! Have they seen a car recently, GM, Ford, Toyota and do they bitch to the same extent about, OMG, how dare they (their non preferred manufacturer) 'copy' and put a round wheel on each corner of the car!! All cars are the same in principal theory in order for them to work efficiently; however, it is in the engineering refinement wherein lies the difference between manufacturer. You choose the car that works for you and is within budget; but they all, in essence, do exactly the same!! The same may be said for smartphone manufacturers, in this case with regard to notifications, there is a 'way' of doing it, and the individual chooses the manufacturer that implements it best to suit their needs and budget! So, enough already with the trivial fanboy taunts of "my d*ck is bigger than yours" as to who copied who, and be glad that we, as consumers, now have a choice.

Exactly if you set out to build a lightweight computing platform that was seen as an accessory to the users main computering needs but may in time become there primary platform (most likely as a group of devices) then there is going to be a pretty common checklist of stuff that platform will need. What order each vendor implements is going to be up to them and their "to market" game plan.

Funny thing is none of these features get made in a week or even a year.
Apple is pretty good at picking it's battles so they can get to market early with a device that may lack features but the features it does have are reliable but have room for growth. I you follow what happened from the early days of Jailbreaking and the discovery of the phones API's then the foundations of most of what we've seen to date was already there.

Apples Strategy means they could have private API's and stop developers using them until official.

Different Business strategies will have different advantages and draw backs as a customer it's about picking the one that suits. Over time there will be more and more common ground.

SlamJam12

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2010
I look forward to playing around with my iPhone with all these new features when iOS 5 debuts in the fall. There will be some things to learn.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.