Apple price change policy

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by cmv, Jun 23, 2004.

1. cmv macrumors newbie

Jun 22, 2004
    I just found this in the apple store website:

Should Apple reduce its price on any shipped product within 10 calendar days of shipment, you may contact Apple Sales Support at 1-800-676-2775 to request a refund or credit of the difference between the price you were charged and the current selling price.* To receive the refund or credit you must contact Apple within 14 business days of shipment. ​

This may be of interest to people on the fence about buying now or waiting for next week. At least if the issue is price and not actual updates.
  2. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2004
    Cape Cod
    Yea, that's real old.

Everybody here knows that, but rarly exercises it because nobody here is that uninformed.
  3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Rarely comes into play, because Apple usually doesn't change the price.

They usually cancel a machine and replace it with a new machine with changed specs and lower price.

People were able to get money back on the G5 1.6 when it dropped in price, but we didn't hear about anybody that got a refund on the latest DP 1.8 or 2.0 G5 when they dropped in price.
  4. OziMac macrumors 6502

Oct 24, 2003
    It happened once last year, completely out of the blue, about 15 days after I bought my Rev A 12" Powerbook, which dropped in price by about A$700. And that was back when the AUD was half a USD, before it rose. So I ended up paying the same (or more) for the 12" Rev A Powerbook this time last year as I did now for my new Rev B 15" Powerbook, with no recourse to the price drop. Oh well, go figure - I'll try not to be that stuipid again :eek:
  5. Abulia macrumors 68000

Jun 22, 2004
    Kushiel's Scion
    I didn't know it and I bought a unit yesterday. Guess I'll keep my eyes open.

Thank you very much for the link, cmv.
  6. magicharm macrumors newbie

Jun 24, 2004
    My boyfriend got $324 back after buying a 1.8 G5 right before the price switch. They were willing to upgrade him to the 2.0 for free, but he decided the cash back was better. However, they didn't give him the full $500 difference, since the 1.8 now comes with less ram and a smaller hd. (oh, and he only had me to thank - the first guy we spoke to in he store was like tough luck, the 10 day period is up - then we went home and I read the back of the receipt where it said about the 14 day policy, so we went back to talk to the manager, and there was no problem getting the money back)