Apple prices outside US = Ridiculous

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by RowdyFROG, Jan 14, 2003.

1. RowdyFROG macrumors newbie

I know this is a recurring theme, but the problem is getting worse and worse. The example below is from Australia, but I understand the problem is just as bad in Europe and elsewhere.

If $1 US = $1.70 Australian:

Powerbook prices @ US Apple Store converted to AUD
    12"combo drv $3058
    12"super drv $3398
    15"combo drv $3908
    15"super drv $4758
    17"super drv $5608

Powerbook prices @ Apple Store Australia
    12"combo drv $3995
    12"super drv $4424
    15"combo drv $4995
    15"super drv $5995
    17"super drv $6995

Difference
    12"combo drv +$937 (31%)
    12"super drv +$1026 (31%)
    15"combo drv +$1087 (28%)
    15"super drv +$1237 (26%)
    17"super drv +$1387 (25%)

THis is so far beyond a joke that laughing at it hurts. Especially in the wallet. And with the Oz $ on the rise against the greenback, our poor value for money will only get poorer.

What will it take to make Apple realise that people outside the US really do matter.

2. kiwi macrumors member

That IS ridiculous. I wonder what the prices are in New Zealand? I think I'll take a look. Anyone know Apple's justification for this?

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

What do other US made computers (dell, gateway, etc.,) cost over there? I would imagine this is more of a tax/tariff/trade thing than Apple price hikes.

Lethal

4. RowdyFROG thread starter macrumors newbie

Eg. Dell 2.2GHz P4, 40GB, 15", 256 DDR, Combo drv, 64MB DDR Radeon mob 9000...

AUD $3898.40 + $300 mail in rebate at present

No bluetooth, but still. I don't see how Apple Computer Australia can justify their pricing.

5. Akira macrumors member

I live in Holland, and we have a pricedifference as well.
    1 euro is about as much as 1 dollar (even more than one dollar) (I compared the prices excluding Value Added Tax, because some states in the US don't have VAT, am I right?)

some examples:
    Powermac starting at: $1699 (US) €1899 (excl VAT, EU)
    Xserve starting at: $2999 (US) €3599 (excl VAT, EU)

so almost everything in the US is about 100 to 200 €/$ cheaper than in the EU.

6. Phil Of Mac macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

Most states don't have VAT.

Aside from exporting costs (which shouldn't be much), yeah, prices are really high overseas. I don't know why this is, but there's a few possibilities:

1. Hidden taxes. The US has some of the world's lowest tax rates overall. Foreign countries, again, might have higher corporate income taxes and other taxes that add to the cost, but hide their true impact.
    2. Apple is trying to increase immigration to the United States.
    3. Maybe we just don't like foreigners :p

7. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

I actually went to the US website and priced up an ibook that i want (non student pricing). After adding extras up it came to (converted into UK £) £970. That was with some software, a travel bag and an extra battery. Now i try it in the UK with student pricing and it was over £1300. Maybe i should come to the US and buy it and get a holiday at the same time? What you think about that?

8. Tiauguinho macrumors 6502a

Tiauguinho

I think that the biggest laugh is the Cinema Display 23''...

In the US this baby costs: $ 3499

In Portugal as in all Europe it costs without VAT: $ 4299...

If I add the 19% VAT that we have here in Portugal the price of the display will be... stand by guys! $ 5115 !!!!!!!!!!!

Is it just me or for a Dislpay here I could get there the Dispaly+PowerMac for the same amount of money... This is sad...

9. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

I'm in Australia too, and I am also confused as to why the price difference is so high. One point to remember is that a lot (if not all, I don't know) of Macs are not made in the US, like most US residents believe. My Power Mac, for example, is assembled in Singapore. Shipping costs from Singapore to Austraila would be smaller than to the US. So there goes the freight cost theory out the window.

Australians to have to pay a 10% Goods & Services Tax. Keeping that in mind, when the GST was introduced a few years ago, it did remove numerous other taxes on computer equipment, which was supposed to be more than 10%.

And it's certainly not the reseller's fault the prices are so high, our margins are no larger than anywhere else in the world.

Looks like it comes back to blaming Apple Australia. Again. What a surprise.

10. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

VAT Free

There is another option (for those in the UK). If you are flying out of Gatwick (and Heathrow too I think, probably others as well) Dixons will sell you Apple kit VAT free. Yes thats a 17.5% discount. As far as I can tell (talking to the people there) this applies whether you are leaving the EU or not. If you are going to do this phone ahead to ensure that you can do it (and that they'll have stock of the item) and get to the airport nice and early to ensure that you have time to complete your purchase :D

11. iAlan macrumors 65816

iAlan

In Japan the top of the line imac is 249,800 yen at the Apple Japan Shop @ an exchange rate of 117.82 today (Friday January17) is $2120, compared to $1,999 at the Apple Shop is only 6% higher (all Japan models come with Japanese OS and software installed).

I was somewhat surprised to realize this. but prices are not all that different, especially concidering sales tax here will only add another 5%, compared to higher VAT/sales tax elsewhere.

I guess I can't complain too much...not about Apple prices, but everything else here is priced over the roof (food, accomadation, $18 cheapest price to see a movie in a theatre, etc, etc, etc).

12. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

it is true, comparing the exchanges, japan is expensive, but salaries are higher and it pans out.

i don't find living in japan especially expensive. it hurts to pay high prices for things i know are dirt cheap at home, but it's not a huge deal.

transportation cost is my only real gripe. i con't fathom the difference to home....

13. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

damn straight dude, I as an aussie, don't but many Hardware products , if any at all. I was hoping to upgrade to a newer imac this yeare, but since its so damn expensive, I held back so far anyways, if there are some new ones with good deals, I might consider it but at the moment no way!

I didn't buy an ipod cause of this.

US price on a 5gig ipod
    $199
    AUS Price
    $645

does that seem alot or am I mental, wake up apple, you'd pull alot more sales if things were cheaper!

14. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

Re: VAT Free

Are we talking about the Dixons store that is inhouse at the airport?

It'd be the first time i'll shop at dixons if this is true.

15. MacFocus macrumors member

Re: VAT Free

I might be wrong here, but I thought that if you are leaving the EU, you can get your paid VAT back. Of course you have to pay the local taxes at the customs of the country you're entering.

Don't know for sure...

16. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

I think now (after thinking about it since i don't like Dixons) i should go to the US and buy it, that way i get it cheaper but i also go to the US and see an apple store.

Only issue i see is power connections when i get back and try to plug it in.

17. Akira macrumors member

that's a problem indeed
    in the US they use 120V instead of 220-240V, as well as a different shape (two flat poles instead of two round ones).

But there's a switch on the back of your mac where you can set the powersupply from 120 to 240 and vice versa (correct me if I'm wrong)

18. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I don't like Dixons either but the deal is for real.

http://www.britishairways.com/airportinfo/docs/heathrow/term4/h-shop4.shtml

As long as you are flying internationally you get the equivilant of tax free prices. Yes this is inhouse at the airport AFTER security (i.e. you must actually be flying somewhere). I was going to get a 20Gb iPod on my way to Munich at Christmas, but they only had 5Gb ones!

19. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

If you're looking at a laptop, just get a plug adapter. The transformer that comes with it will be rated for 50-60Hz, 120-240V.

20. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The newest Apple portable power supplies have a removable plug which reveals a standard 2 pin "kettle-style" socket. Simply plug a UK power lead in here and you are good to go.

21. Akira macrumors member

Those look a lot like the iPod adapter, don't they?

22. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

They look almost identical, but without the firewire socket and with a build in cable (and little flip out cable reel things). I'll take some pictures when I get home (or probably tomorrow as I don't inteand getting home sober).

23. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

When talking about cables do you mean the ones that come in two parts? One part that plugs into the laptop with the other end holding the adapter and another cable that plugs into the adapter but also plugs into the mains?

If thats the case then it just means changing one half of the cable yes? If so i suppose it should be easy enough to get another from apple or something.

24. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Basically yes. When I got my new iBook a couple of months ago the power adaptor came in 3 pieces. There is one common piece which connects to the laptop and terminates at the other end in a white box (the actual power converter). This has a standard 2 pin kettle power socket on it. There is a supplied standard 3 pin UK plug that kind of slots into this to give a solid unit. There was also the kettle style cable that can be plugged in instead of the 3 pin plug (it has a 3 pin plug at the end) to give a bit more range. The kettle style cable is very common - you can probably get one from Maplin or the likes.

Edit: Maplin code AK16S £2.99 would do it.

25. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

What about buying a decent power adapter type converter that changes 2 pin to 3 pin, that way i keep the "apple cables"