Apple printer 100 dollars back discount.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Mood, Jul 27, 2005.

1. Mood macrumors regular

Jun 29, 2005
    I'm going to colelge next year, and thus i need to get a printer for college.

I get 100 dollars back, and so I would like to know what printer is best for the 100 dollar back discount.

Should i get the 89 dollar printer (the hp) or the 129 dollar multifunction printer (print/scan/copy)?

I dunno how hard it would be to sell the 89 dollar printer, as it's kinda weird for people to sell printers to their friends, that's why i was thinking of getting the 129 dollar multifunction printer and keeping it.

Though the quality of the 129 dollar multifunciton printer is decent.

My THIRD OPTION is to sell the 89 dollar printer, and get the Samsung 1650 Laserjet printer which has lots of ink and lasts a long time (toner is like 60 dollars 3500 pages or so), but lacks color.

What should i do for college (bio major --- might do SOME projects)?

I think the best option would be to sell the 89 dollar inkject printer and get the Samsung 1650.

Your comments?
  2. illegal amigo macrumors member

Jul 25, 2005
    Hey Mood,
    I did the same deal. I bought online and did some research. The Canon IP 3000 is supposed to be solid. Cheap, infrequent ink refills and quality printing. By the way, what college?
  3. bdanielb macrumors newbie

May 12, 2005
    hey mood, get the multifunction printer. I just finished my double degree and found it very useful... especially when u scan things to add to assignments, power point presentations etc. u can also scan old photos and things...

the copy function can be useful at times, say to get a page from a text book so that u can draw all over it without wrecking ur book! cos theres a good market at most campuses to resell ur un-needed text books. also to make copies of ur student id, passport things like that...

and finally u can print in full colour and i can imagine that would be useful for bio...

i use to just have a stand alone printer, they dont do much, so dont get that one.... my printer collected more dust than put out

laser printers are awesome also, but u really could manage fine with the multifunction.... in terms of affordabilty, u can just use the draft (lower quality) option for printing lecture notes and draft assignments... those things dont really neeed to look good.

overall, get the multifunction, u wont regret it, it has the best of all worlds and u will find urself using it alot more than a stand alone printer.

cheers ;)
  4. Mood thread starter macrumors regular

Jun 29, 2005
    thanks i think i'll spring for the multifunction printer
  5. Chef Medeski macrumors 6502a

Chef Medeski

Jun 14, 2005
    New York, NY
    Is the $89 hp printer, free after the rebate?
  6. AlmightyG5 macrumors 6502

Jul 7, 2005
    I decided to spend the extra 30 dollars to get the HP 1600, all-in-one you guys are talking about. It's a great printer for 30 dollars. Scan is great, didn;t try copy, and printing is fast and clear with photo paper.HP dosn't include a damn USB though. But they do include 5 sheets of 4x6 photo paper! I just can't seem to get iPhoto to print a boarderless 4x6, without lines on the 2 sides....
  7. Mood thread starter macrumors regular

Jun 29, 2005
    hey, how fast is printing with the hp psc 1610 strictly black and white (realistically).

did you have to download the driver from the hp websiet (97 megabyte driveR???)

also, does the software seem to slow down os x by a lot?

jsut some questions before i shell the money for the ibook.

oh yeah, how long through blakc and white printing (college reports) will the ink last? say if i do like 10 pages a week of black text every month, how long would that last?
  8. bodeh6 macrumors 6502a

May 18, 2005
    I also plan on getting the HP PSC 1610 All in one. I already have a new laser printer for home (Brother HL-5140) but my old scanner, Epson Perfection 636U is turning 6 years old. It is time to upgrade. I saw the 1610 at CompUSA and was impressed with the design and the sample print quality. For $30 after rebate, you would be foolish to pass it up even if you don't really need it. Sure you can get the $90 HP printer alone, but you migh as well take full advantage of the $100 that Apple is giving you.
  9. AlmightyG5 macrumors 6502

Jul 7, 2005
    Well i have the 1600 not 1610, but no you don't need the driver...everything is installed with the CD. It prints very fast...7 sec. with a 1 page black and white Word doc. The downside with the HP software is that it is laggy. I have the stock 512 in my iMac G5 and the software does take awhile...But think, your really only going to use the software for scanning.