Apple "Pro" Mouse vs. Apple Mouse

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jaw04005, May 14, 2005.

1. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

My Apple Pro Mouse recently quit working on my iMac G4. So I actually took advantage of my AppleCare, and called and ordered a replacement.

I received the replacement on Monday, and AppleCare replaced it with the Apple Mouse that ships with the new iMacs, PowerMacs, etc. The original mouse that came with the computer was the "Pro" mouse.

Is there a difference between the two? I know the Pro mouse has an adjustment ring around the optical sensor. What does that do anyways? Should I call AppleCare and tell them to send me the correct replacement?

2. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

No difference. If anything the newer one will be better.

3. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

They dropped the "pro" like 3rd period French. It didn't make sense because of it's lack of buttons and lower dpi than, say the kensington studio mouse.

4. ajwitte macrumors member

That ring on the bottom of the Pro mouse is for adjusting the button tension (how hard you need to press to click the button).

It doesn't sound like you used that feature of the Pro mouse, so having the newer "plain" Mouse shouldn't be a problem.

The newer mouse might even have better tracking (but I'm not certain of that).

5. Jo-Kun macrumors 6502a

indeed the tension ring is gone, but I till don't like them, too bulky & not so precise so it seems, my old (1st gen) logitech optical works much better, is smaller & as some people mention, has more buttons ;-)