Apple Pro Runtime 1.5.1

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, Dec 13, 2003.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

Apple updated some of their Pro applications on Friday with Pro App Runtime 1.5.1. The update is available in Software Update for those with these applications installed

2. macrumors 6502

Pismo

Link?

I have DVD Studio Pro 2 and I tried using Software Update but the update isn't showing up. Is there a link to get the update?

3. macrumors 65816

4. macrumors member

I'm heartened to see Apple are concerned with software performance.

I think Apple seem to be one of the few companies who consider this to be a priority.

While I don't generally diss MS, they seem advertise increased performance across versions of Windows and Office (etc), but seem to measure this with the current (at the time) fastest machine. So, every time they release Windows they say "faster than ever", but what they mean is... it's faster now you're running a P4-3GHz whilst before you were only running a P3-1.1GHz.

Apple seem to be almost alone in boosting performance across versions measured by using the exact same machine. Whilst they probably had a "slow" OS to start with, I find it encouraging they still want to optimise, rather than tell us to buy a new G5 for a faster GUI etc.

Good for them!

5. macrumors 6502

i just realised I am no a pro user :( not by this definition anyway.

6. macrumors member

Let's not get all happy about Apple improving GUI speed. My G4 500 with FCP2 in OS9 has a faster GUI than my Dual 1.42 G4 in 10.3.1 running FCP4.1

7. macrumors member

LAME? If your job depended on FCP too, you wouldn't say something so foolish.

8. macrumors regular

I agree.

9. macrumors 6502a

simX

So then why don't you just go and stick with Mac OS 9 since it's so much better? :rolleyes:

10. macrumors 6502

Pismo

Found it

Nevermind, I go it

11. macrumors member

It's not better, it's just has a faster GUI. Also, I use a jog shuttle controller, and it has so much of a delay on it now that it is hardly useful anymore. The reason being that hitting play now takes longer for the video to start playing than it did before. I still love FCP4 more than anything. I have given up speed so I could have features, but it is unfortunate that the speed has been hit so hard.

12. macrumors regular

This has been the way of OS/App developement since the beginning. Mature OS + App developed for mature OS will beat any 'new' solution at doing the same thing hands down. Problem is that the mature OS has reached it's limit, it has peaked and you will undoubtably begin to see diminishing returns on any more advanced operations you plan on implementing.

You can see the same competition happening with combustion engines vs. electric engines. It's mirrored again and again in any mature tech vs. new, hopefully more robust tech.

13. macrumors member

./ignore simX

14. macrumors member

Ya, sorry bout that.

15. macrumors 65816

me_94501

I think henryblackman was referring to the speed increases made since 10.0 was released.

16. macrumors member

Yes, I understand.

17. WM.
    macrumors 6502

Did this new Pro Runtime thingy help at all?

Just curious :)
    WM

18. macrumors 6502a

simX

Then please explain to me why you aren't happy that Apple is concerned about improving GUI speed. See relevant quote:

19. macrumors 65816

Umm...My Mac OS X is faster than I've ever seen anything in Mac OS 9. If yours isn't, you haven't done what is needed to keep your Mac OS X optimized:

http://www.macmaps.com/Macosxspeed.html

Panther is really fast on the 1.33 Ghz Powerbook with only 512MB of RAM.

20. macrumors 6502a

maxterpiece

zzzzzzzzz

Hale-gosh-darn-llujah. Not a soul on this planet has a clue about how long I've been waiting for this one! Let's just say January 15, 1927 at 3:04pm. I feel so free. Free from the shackles of this unholy society that has been bread into my skin. Oh torturous fantasies, you have not betrayed me! Runtime runtime runtime.

21. dho
    macrumors 6502

Re: zzzzzzzzz

all i have to say is "drugs are bad" :)

anyway, glad to see they are boosting performance on the apps that really need it.

22. macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

He's happy about Apple's efforts to improve GUI speed. He's just expressing that he's skeptical about the speed improvements.

23. tny
    macrumors 6502

More features = more code = less performance on the same machine.

24. macrumors member

Yes, I understand.

25. macrumors 65816

Not necessarily. A good program can be designed to not let non-active code interfere with working code. A great example of this is games which modularize their data files. Civilization III does this a lot.