Apple Pro Speakers Question

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by trebblekicked, May 10, 2003.

1. macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

note: i tried to do a search for this subject on MR, couldn't find anything. i apologize in advance if this issue has been discussed already.

alright, so i finally upgraded my speakers on my quicksilver- i moved my stereo over to my desk and my computer is now running I/O a technics rack system w/ bose bookshelf speakers. quite an improvement over the APS.

But i have a tibook set up with an external monitor/mouse/powermate etc on the other side of the office, and i was wondering:
    is there any way to use apple pro speakers on a tibook? adapter? converter? anything?

i know the APS are designed to take power from the computer's power supply, which would seem to make this impossible, but who knows...any suggestions?

2. macrumors 6502a

Jaykay

Currently i dont think there is any way to connect APS to a powerbook without the right port. Maybe somebody has made a converter but i seriously doubt it.

3. macrumors member

krhodus

4. macrumors regular

I thought that the speakers were usb? Perhaps I am mistaken though.

5. macrumors 604

MacBandit

They use a proprietary connector.

You could always cut the wires and hook them to a small boom box or something with some wattage. Then use a sub-mini to sub-mini patch cord to the boom box to power them.

6. macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

thanks. that'll do. damn, griffin. is there anything they can't do?

macbandit:
    i actually thought about ripping the cord open, but my success rate in rewiring electronics is 1-in-3.

thanks for the help guys.