apple pro speakers; yes, or, no?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by markjones05, Oct 27, 2003.

1. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

My girlfriend just got a G4 iBook mainly for homework, internet and music. However as everyone knows, the built in speakers leave something to be desired. Anyway she was looking at the applepro speakers but they say "The analog-based speakers require systems with an Apple speaker minijack. They are not USB-based speakers. Currently, Apple Pro Speakers should only be used with the new G4-based iMac or the Power Mac G4 with minijack." Does this mean they wont work with her iBook? If so can anyone tell me what she should get for around the same price and quality?

2. alset macrumors 65816

alset

I tried the Pro Speakers from my ex's iMac on my iBook and the jack didn't fit. Get SoundSticks - they're much better anyway.

Dan

3. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

For the pro speakers to work you need the griffen iFire

4. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

ugh. apple pro speakers are completely proprietary. i have never seen a plug like that besides on my FP iMac.

i suggest sound sticks as well.

5. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

The pro speakers will not work on any of apples laptop computers. They're decent on my tower at home though.

For the 55 dollars that they cost though, you can get some decent speakers. Make sure they're powered speakers though, or else they wont sound much better than the ibook's built in speakers.

For my powerbook I use Advent AV280 speakers I picked up at Nobody Beats the Wiz before they closed down. They were marked 79, then slashed to 49, and finally marked for clearance at 25 bucks. On the technical side of things, they're 20 watts, have a better response frequency than the pro speakers, and are magnetically shielded, and have a quite good sound to them. I believe the AV line is still being produced, and is cheaper now than when I purchased them

6. theipodgod16 macrumors 6502

creative sound blaster speakers are pretty cheap ($30) and sound pretty good. I was able to pack them for a flight with ease.

7. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I got my Logitech Z-540 speakers for $70, from the Apple online store no less! $10 cheaper than anywhere else. It's a very efficient system for only 40 watts, and there's no distortion at max volume. I suspect the subwoofer is downgraded to limit the power to the satellites... :cool:

8. primalman macrumors 6502a

Oh good God people.

The reason they don't work on anything but the PowerMac G4 [digital audio and later] and the flat panel iMac is that they require an amplifier, one built into the Mac.

Above poster is right though to say that you can make them work with other Macs buy using the iFire.

9. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I think the thread starter was looking for opinions too, seeing as whether they work or not was answered already.

10. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

They sound OK. I got them because the Apple Store had them Open Box for $25, and I needed a cheap little set of speakers for my iMac.

For $55, however, you can do better.

11. rhpenguin macrumors 6502a

rhpenguin

For $250 CAD or like $125 USD you can get the Logitech Z560's. These speakers are awesome.. 400 Watts of power!

They seriously can shake stuff off the walls. And they are THX Certified.

Pretty decent sound. Oh they are a 4pt system, but theres this nift feature called m3d that forces the sound through all four speakers! how cool is that?

12. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

For $99 you can get the Bose Mediamates. Same speakers they use in the Wave radios. If you want a nice 2 speaker set up this is the best IMO. They are a nice size and have very good sound.

13. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Those are actually$199.95 MSRP. Or for $400 you can get the Z-680's. 500 watts, 5.1, THX certified, Dolby Digital and DTS hardware decoding. A friend of mine has these, but I have yet to experience them. When I talk to him over iChat, he has me in surround sound. It's funny when he forgets to turn his subwoofer down, prime time for Darth Vader impersonations :D

14. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

Quote form www.apple.com.au

"The analog-based speakers require systems with an Apple speaker minijack. They are not USB-based speakers. Currently, Apple Pro Speakers should only be used with the new G4-based iMac or the Power Mac with minijack."

I don't know what this mini jack is, so I would stear clear or ask somone in an apple store. But remember that apple's core buisness is computers not audio reproduction. If you have a Hi-Fi system hook it up to that, the cable will cost les than $5USD. Or look to creative or LogiTech etc for computing speakers which plug into the headphone jack.

I have an NAD amp with a pair of Energy C5 floorstanders, that's the way music should be heard. They push hard up to 98dB.

15. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I picked up a pair on sale brand new for $20 and sent them back because they sounded terrible. You have to have a sub to go with them. Not to mention the mid range was uneven between the two I had. All in all I have to say I have never been impressed by the proprietary part of the Pro Speakers or the fact that they name them Pro Speakers when they so obviously suck.

16. Fender2112 macrumors 6502a

Fender2112

JBL Creatures

JBL Creatures are fairly decent for the price ($129). I've had mine for about month and have been quite pleased.

17. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

There's something about the volume control on the Creatures that I just don't like. Since it uses a switch similar to that of a touch lamp, (capacitance right?) there's a slight click from the speakers whenever you make or break the circuit. Unless that's just the ones at the Apple Store...

18. markjones05 thread starter macrumors 6502a

markjones05

My real question is what are some decent speakers she can use with her ibook that are about the same size and price!!

19. Fender2112 macrumors 6502a

Fender2112

If you are close to a Best Buy, Circuit City, CompUSA or similar store, stop in and get a hands on feel. That's the best way to find what fits your needs. You might want to concider a set of "portable" speakers that are designed for laptops.

Good luck.

20. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

I agree, Listing to music is a personal thing. What you like may no be what someone else likes (refering to speaker sound.) Go in to a computer store (non apple mac) with some of your music on CD and have a listen. (Don't forget to ask for a cash discount, 10-15% is the norm in Australia)