Apple Pro Speakers??

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by CaVoLo, Jul 2, 2003.

1. CaVoLo macrumors member

im going to be purchasing a powermac g5...i was considering getting the jbl creature sivler....my friend has these and they are awsome speakers especially for their size

but since i will be carrying this computer over to my friends house a lot (lan partys) i need a more portable speaker style (without a subwoofer)....hence i decided ont eh apple pro speakers....they do there job well enough for me.

my question is will the pro speakers work on the new powermac g5. Im sure they will but i just wanted to make sure.

thanx guys :)

2. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

negative.

no port for them like in the older models. If anyone can put a picture of the old port up it would be appreciated. I can not find one now. Here is a picture of the back of the new powermac G5. The pro speacker port looks like the power adapter port on powerbooks. A central pin (2.5mm stereo) and a metal ring surround in it.

Attached Files:

3. RandomDeadHead macrumors 6502

Are you shure that you want to take a new G5 to lan parties? After a few ventures out of your house it will have more dings and scratches than my Kia does.

4. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

dont take speakers to a lan party, its called headphones. plus the powermac have a built in speaker.

iJon

5. CaVoLo thread starter macrumors member

these lan parties arent the lan parties you are pictring

these are smaller with teams (of 4 on 4) usually

we have 2 separate rooms and its all about teamwork

headphones wont work....well thats disappointing to me.....
    will the jbl creature speakers work then??

trust me i will be very careful with my computer :)
    thanx guys

6. jbomber macrumors 6502a

jbomber

yeah, you're better off buying some sweet dj headphones.

gotta give you credit for trying to lug around your mac tho. i don't think i've moved my mac more than twice since i've gotten it.

7. CaVoLo thread starter macrumors member

if you wanna see how i plan to "lug" it around

www.xbags.com

very nice looking

8. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

without the handles your gonna have toruble carying it without the sturdy plastic handle( yes i know the g5 has handles but they don't seem as useful as the g4 ones were)

9. jbomber macrumors 6502a

jbomber

they look like a good way to end up in the emergency room....

10. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Why do you say that? I bet the new handles are stronger then the old ones or at least stiffer. I bet the case doesn't creek like the old PowerMacs did when you pick them up. Also believe it or not the new tower is lighter then the old even though it's like 20% larger.

I too agree on the headphones. Especially for gaming. You have much better stereo separation. Also Panasonic makes some cool headphones bass drivers to cause the headphones to shake when the base hits. There's no problem hearing with a nice pair of studio headphones on either they're designed so you can hear with them on.

11. Porshuh944turbo macrumors 6502

just go buy a damn xbox and play some halo lan parties... you only need one box for up to 4 peeps... then all you need is a tv.. but most peopel have tv's these days wherever you go ;)

12. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Hmm that made me think. What kind of Lan party can you go to with a Mac? There aren't that many new games for the Mac that are multiplayer Lan party type games. UT2003 is the only current one I can think of.

13. Porshuh944turbo macrumors 6502

hmm. true..

I can think of a couple..

MOH
    MOHAA
    UT (as you said)
    Quake???
    hehe.. sims??? j/k :D

14. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Quake is old. I don't see playing that at a LAN party it's hardly worth the effort. It would make more since to just do it online. I guess you could doe MOH but with a good voice chat setup you can do group play online.

15. Porshuh944turbo macrumors 6502

i can see it being more fun for MOHAA at least, on a local LAN...
    like he said.. 1.. less lag... 2. better communication.. 3. have your team in one room, the other team in another room.. that's what my and friends to with halo... but a lot of trouble for a computer espescially if you want to play often!

That's the beauty of PC's.. build you a gaming PC to leave at your LAN site and you dn't have to carry crap around... or again.. get an xbox .. having a spare G5 isn't something most can afford..

16. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

believe it or not - starcraft/warcraft.
    it is still one of the most played games at netowrk parties where macs are involved primarily cause it was so well implemented in both OS9 and OSX.

I know i have people bring there laptops over and my best friend uses our (only) pc, my bro uses his emac and we all play one big game of starcraft.

lost of fun. just make sure the parents arent around - some things that get said when you wipe out an entire army .... not allowed to post them words

Oh - BTW - all speakers that are compatible with either optical (yay!) or 3.5mm stereo plugs are compatible with all macs made for some time. so yes - the creatures work, they are currently pugged into a PB12" at my local apple centre.

17. Sabenth macrumors 6502a

Sabenth

I just have one question why speakers like everyone else has said go with headphones unless of course you make music as well and we all know never ever make music using head phones because the sound diffrance between head phones and speakers is huge..

games that are lan related are
    warcraft 1- 3
    warcract world of warcraft
    quake 3
    unreal
    sims online if it gets online..
    Dungeion seige
    chess is a good game thought about playing that....

Theres google opiton to find games that are lan ready as well

18. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

well if you dont want to use headphones buy some creature speakers, they are my favorite and just as good as the soundsticks and much cheaper if you ask me.

iJon

19. skymaXimus macrumors regular

here is that pic that was requested in like the 1st post. its from the iMac, as if you didn't know.

Attached Files:

20. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

i expect apple to get rid of that digital port on the next imac revision and replace it with a optical port. same with the powerbook. first with gigabit ethernet, first with digital video, first with optical input and output(i think). if apple can get the optical ports on the powerbook the digital audience will be all over that machine.

iJon

21. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Ya, any speaker system that uses the headphone jack will work. It's just audio output after all. Also almost any speaker system that uses USB will work also. Finally with the G5 any speaker system that uses digital audio TOS link will work also.

22. Anticipat3 macrumors regular

I'm an avid lan-goer, finally switching over to a Mac for my Gaming and Lanning PC with the G5 --

Plays MOST games.

Ut2003, quake 3, return to castle wolfenstein, Diablo II, Warcraft III, SOFII, Neverwinter Nights, Original UT, Starcraft, Medal of Honor, etc. are all Doable... as is Shadowbane, if you're into that whole MMORPG thing.

It's actually quite hard to find a game that ISN'T available on Mac.

About the only thing that isn't available on the Mac is Battlefield 1942, but then again EA has even taken steps to cripple the game on any PC with an ATI video card... so screw them.

I'd also like to see a Mac version of Tribes 2... but that isn't gonna happen.

You can bet we'll see Doom 3 on the Mac too, ID has always been cross-platform friendly. My only real worry is Half-Life 2.... there haven't been any announcements either way.

23. Anticipat3 macrumors regular

One more thing--

An aluminum case is IDEAL for lan parties. they don't ding up nearly as badly as plastic cases or (worst) painted metal.

They're also very lightweight, which is nice, and the handles are also a nice bonus -- I figure I'll make a little shoulder strap that connects to both handles to use.

My one big gripe is this -- Where the hell are the hard cases for LCD displays??? I'd love a padded-inside hard-outside case with a handle for my panel.

24. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

yeah it really does suck that we cant have battlefield. they even ported it to xbox but then they stopped before release. battlefield could easily be the number 1 game for the mac as well. half life 2 is another bummer. im excited about it coming out after playing the video. there is also the select other games that arent coming. but that is really great the games you play are all for mac, unfourtantly the games i play are not for the mac.

iJon

25. job macrumors 68040

job

ghost recon lan will r0x0r your b0x0r. ;)