Apple Product Release Procedures...???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by t300, Apr 12, 2004.

1. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

Let's just say Apple makes updates tomorrow, or the next Tuesday, or the next Tuesday after that, it doesn't matter...How do they go about doing it? It it just shown on the homepage? Press release? Email newsletter? All of the above? And...When? Like 6 a.m.? Noon? I was just pondering this, as I am one of many waiting for updates, including Powerbooks...Thanks!

2. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

I think its like 9am PST USA. Apple Shop updates and usually there is an Apple news item.

3. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

Product updates are before 9am Eastern Standard Time unless there is an expo or other special event (these are usually scheduled and place like MacRumors know about them or there are press releases for everyone ) ... before all of the pacfic centric folks start speaking about the location fo the company , they do this for the stock markets and so that the updates are generally there when people wake up and so they avoid lost sales by having the store down. I live in Central Time zone and have ordered two computers at like 8:30am before I went to school...

4. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

You're right, unless there is an expo or event going on, it's almost always between 8:00-9:00 AM Eastern Time and sure enough, the store is down right now as we speak. Looks like our friend Jim was right about updates today. :)

5. t300 thread starter macrumors 6502a

t300

My biggest question...

WHY ONLY TUESDAYS!?!?!

It's ridiculous.

6. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

7. Gherkin macrumors 6502

why? movies only come out on Fridays, CDs on Tuesdays, etc.

Not that big of a deal. Just a little tradition almost.

8. t300 thread starter macrumors 6502a

t300

WHAT? Movies and CD's come out on days besides those, and Apple products should follow suit.

9. JamesDPS macrumors regular

Hear hear -- movies usually come out anywhere from Wednesday through Friday... premieres are basically any day a week ahead of that... I too am curious as to the Tuesday releases... I'm figuring it has something to do with what day people are most likely to buy a computer, or maybe so that they finish a project (i.e. testing) by a Friday, they have the weekend and Monday to do PR prep-work and last-minute changes? Any Apple techs out there feel free to comment, I don't think this violates your NDA's :)

10. primalman macrumors 6502a

Tuesday is a good announcement day, free press. monday is too early, Friday too late, people don't care, Thursday is as well. Tuesday lets them milk the press for all of Tues and Wed, and make press contacts on Mon without possible leaks over the weekend. Tuesday is a common info release day for many places, the university i worked at would only release standard press releases on tuesday morning, nd release bad news Friday, no reporting until monday.