Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBoook160

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 9, 2011
I don't know if it's appropriate to ask this here; if not, I'm happy to delete this thread and place it in the right forum

I have a question about different sellers of Macbook Airs - I've read a lot about Best Buy here, and of course, Apple itself, but what about Adorama and B&H? From the former, I just received a notice about a really good price for the Macbook Air I just purchased from the Apple refurb store which I know I can return if need be, but I haven't read much about them here, though I know they are a reputable seller. Any thoughts or personal experiences? Am I missing something - how can their prices be so much better than what I've seen before?

Many thanks, as always.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I have been purchasing from B&H Photo for about 15 years and have spent well into 5 digits for professional video, still photography and computers. They are terrific, and it's a real store. If you are ever in the New York City area, it is well worth a visit, there isn't another place like it - it is huge. Everytime my friend from the EU visits, we go to B&H - she always has a shopping list of things to buy for friends back home.

I bought my two most recent Macs there - a new 2012 Mini was only $5 more than a refurb from Apple's site so I went with it. I got my 2013 11" i7/8gb/512gb MBA there two years ago. No other stores - including all Apple Stores in the region - had that model in stock, it was BTO only. But B&H had it in stock and I picked it up at the store.

Will definitely continue buying from them, they're great. :)

Reactions: MacBoook160

MacBoook160

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 9, 2011
I have been purchasing from B&H Photo for about 15 years and have spent well into 5 digits for professional video, still photography and computers. They are terrific, and it's a real store. If you are ever in the New York City area, it is well worth a visit, there isn't another place like it - it is huge. Everytime my friend from the EU visits, we go to B&H - she always has a shopping list of things to buy for friends back home.

I bought my two most recent Macs there - a new 2012 Mini was only $5 more than a refurb from Apple's site so I went with it. I got my 2013 11" i7/8gb/512gb MBA there two years ago. No other stores - including all Apple Stores in the region - had that model in stock, it was BTO only. But B&H had it in stock and I picked it up at the store.

Will definitely continue buying from them, they're great. :)

Boyd, thanks so much. This particular deal was from Adorama, and it's a 2014 - I did a bit of performance research and thought these models are rather similar, it was interesting to me that in benchmark tests, though the 2015 leads the pack, the second most powerful is the 2013; the 2014 is farther down the list than I anticipated, and therein is also a bit of additional hesitation. Your 2013 is a fantastic machine, though, from everything I've read!

Why am I making this decision so agonizing! Stick with what I've bought from Apple (which is what I'm edging toward) or think about that 2014 from Adorama (if it's still there when they open on Sunday).

Thanks again!

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^Between the 2013, 2014 and 2015 MBA, It's really not the machine that controls the benchmarks you're seeing, but rather the OEM supplier of the SSD in the machine being benchmarked. Apple uses Toshiba, Samsung, Sandisk and maybe others, I'm not sure. I believe Samsung is the fastest. Any way, the benchmarks you are seeing are skewed IMHO, and really not comparable.

Oh, and I have bought from Adorama without incident.

Lou

jmoore5196

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2009
Russellville AR
I bought the "really good priced" 11" MBA from Adorama on Wednesday; it was delivered today without incident. I've bought from both Adorama and B&H and have never had a negative experience with either store. On the whole, I prefer the broader selection at B&H, but Adorama often has better pricing and less-expensive shipping options.

I second flowrider's comments above. I've had a fully-spec'd 2013 11" MBA for a year and a half, but I could not pass up the 2014 model fully loaded for less than $1000. I don't expect any performance gains, necessarily ... but a new machine is always nice to have.

MacBoook160

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 9, 2011
Thank you so much - I make decisions quickly in most aspects of life - for some reason, my level of dithering and second-guessing on this one is off the charts!

ixxx69

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2009
United States
Thank you so much - I make decisions quickly in most aspects of life - for some reason, my level of dithering and second-guessing on this one is off the charts!
It's totally understandable - it's a lot of money and they're not household names in most parts, and it's sometimes hard to get clear information as to whether they're authorized to sell Apple gear or some fly-by-night operation.

I've ordered Macs from B&H, Adorama and MacMall - they're all legit, customer service has been fine, and if anything goes wrong with the Mac while under warranty, you can take it to any Apple store or authorized Apple service center just like if you'd bought it at the Apple Store. You can even buy AppleCare through them and often save some money on that as well.

MacBoook160

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 9, 2011
Thanks, all! Now all I have to do is decide whether to keep what I bought or go for the other option and I'll be set.

I keep reminding myself that regardless of whether or not I have a "bargain" or not, or something new and a bit more powered or a bit older and less so, at the end of the day, I will be very happy, and for a long time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.