Apple Production Suite on a PB??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by thecommonground, Dec 14, 2004.

1. thecommonground macrumors newbie

Does anyone have any experience using Production Suite (FCP HD, DVD Studio Pro, Motion) on a Powerbook they'd like to share with me (esp. Motion performance)? I'm going to buy a PB 1.5gHz, 128 Video Ram with a 5400rpm 80 gig, but will settle for an ibook superdrive if a PB can't play hardball with Pro Suite. Any help would be great! Cheers :)

2. advres Guest

advres

Well the powerbook is going to be a much better choice then the ibook for sure.

As for experience: I have used FCP and DVD Studio Pro a lot from my PB (which is slower then your new one except for my 1G of RAM). I only use Motion developer copy on my G5 at work so I really don't have much info for you there.

I am sure everything would run fine except it would be much slower compared to a less expensive G5.

If you go the powerbook route you need an external HD that runs at 7200 RPM. If you do not you are going to risk dropped frames in FCP and I can only imagine Motion would barf as well.

3. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

I use FCP on my PB and it runs fine, just make sure you stock up on RAM. When it comes to the Production Suite, I think Motion is the deal breaker. If you're serious about using these pro apps a G5 desktop is definitely the way to go.

If you're keen on the idea of a laptop, you might as well wait until Jan and see if the PB line gets the speed bump/processor upgrade (dual core not G5!) as heavily expected.

4. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Here is a Motion test with Single/Dual G5, Dual G4 and Powerbook G4.
    The Powerbook is doing very well against the Single G5 with FX5200 video.
    http://www.barefeats.com/motion.html

5. zim macrumors 65816

zim

I am not 100% positive but, I don't think that Motion will run on an iBook. Everything else will run fine on the iBook.

I use Motion on a 1.25G4 iMac, runs okay but once I put anything intensive into the composition, I am back to rendering like in AfterEffects. I also find that longer, yet simple, compositions leave me having to render previews vs. live animating. My copy at home was purchased by my employer for me to learn on, I use it on higher end equipment at work, runs incredible on a G5 with a good amount of RAM. Motion is a power hog, a beautiful power hog.

6. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

Since it uses alot of GPU power Motion requires these Core Image Graphic Cards to work, so yes the iBook won't work since its card isn't compatible

7. thecommonground thread starter macrumors newbie

Domo Arigato, Mr. Roboto!

Just wanted to say a BIG THANKS for the bunch who've enlightened me on the world of PB n' J, I mean Pro Suite. Really though, thank U. I'm amazed at the incredible amount of knowledge from the users of macrumors (world domination comes to mind). Looks like I'll shoot for an ibook and play around 'til the PB upgrade is available. 'Til next time, I raise my sake glass to your helpful feedback