Apple Products at a discount---easy way?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by evil, May 4, 2003.

1. evil macrumors 6502

i was looking around on the apple site and i saw that if someone is to join the student developer program they are entitled to a fairly generous discount on one system and on other items. the cost of the student membership is 99 bucks..and the discount on an iMac for instance is a few hundred bucks.

now hypothetically is it really that easy for a student to join and just use the membership for a discount on a system? and potentially not even plan on developing anything???

2. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

per their rules, you must be enrolled in at least one development class, that is if you are applying for the discount/membership legitimately.

3. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

4. hugemullens macrumors 6502a

hugemullens

All you have to do is be a student with some sort of technology devlpoment classes. My friend (CS major) signed up, bought a powerbook, and hasnt worried about it since. He saved about 250 bucks all total.

5. Pismo macrumors 6502

Pismo

This is the route I intend to take when it's time to buy a new PowerBook. I'm a CS major and I take a programming class every semester. The discount is very generous and wouldn't hurt to use the money I'd be saving to go towards AppleCare.

I've seen people selling instructions on eBay on how to get the discount. They don't mention it's the developer discount.

My brother in law (CS PhD student at Dartmouth) purchased his 1 GHz TiBook with the developer discount and an Apple Rep called him to verify that he is indeed a student taking developement classes and asked for his student ID number I think. He verified it and Apple shipped his TiBook that same day:)

6. evil thread starter macrumors 6502

ahhhh! i didnt notice the whole part of having a development class.
    i may just have to adjust my courses for next year now.
    i honestly wouldnt mind learning how to do that stuff anyway.

7. evil thread starter macrumors 6502

wait a second, i was just looking at the site and i dont see it mentioning current enrollment in a develpmental class.
    QUOTE-
    After agreeing to the Terms and Conditions, you must identify yourself as a student, fill in your student identification number, and write in your School Name on the "Your Information" page. To be eligible for the ADC Student Program, you must be currently enrolled as a part-time or full-time student at a college or university, have a student identification number, and be at least 18 years of age.

8. Pismo macrumors 6502

Pismo

That's interesting. I could have sworn you had to be enrolled specifically in a developement class of some sort. Either way, I can still use it. Just wish I could use it more than once:(

9. evil thread starter macrumors 6502

i am going to have to investigate this more....right now the site seems to be down though. weird

10. Wano macrumors 6502

I was approved for the membership and I am not even enrolled in any computer related classes. I got my 17" Powerbook fpr $2639 before tax. All you need to do is send them a copy of your schedule and an id(i sent them my student id) and everything should work. I saved huge! But, for lower priced items you may not save as much. For instance if you are looking to buy a 17" iMac it will cost you:
    $1439-iMac
    99-Membership
    + 90-tax(estimated at 6%)
    ---------------
    $1628
    it's a saving though! ...maybe you can use the money you save to buy something extra like an iPod at a discount......i wished I had the money for an iPod when I ordered my computer.

11. evil thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for the info wano! I am planning, eventually on getting a new system. I just bought a 12 inch pb a couple of weeks ago on which i still owe quite a bit.

that 15% canadian sales tax is killer!!!!

12. Wano macrumors 6502

no problem man...if you have any other questions about it, feel free to ask.

13. scifi451 macrumors regular

can some one give the link to apples developer connection?

14. scifi451 macrumors regular

for some reason cant edit last so, say never mind I found the link, but thanks for the info, I will look into this since I am going to be a freshmen this fall in college.

15. evil thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah i was checking out the info for this and it seems pretty interesting.
    im definately gonna want to get in on this before i graduate next year.
    i am now really interesting in actually learning how to write code.

16. scifi451 macrumors regular

Here is offical clarification about what you have to do to activate your student membership from the apple site.

17. scifi451 macrumors regular

wonder if you can use the developers connection discount and the educational discount?

18. evil thread starter macrumors 6502

im sure thats not possible. the student developer pricing already is an acknowledgement of studentship.
    also, the discount prices for developers are accesible through the site. they are a little cheaper then the educational pricing. so, there is a set price for developers/student developers and a set educational price.

thats my guess on it. i dont pretent to actually know what im talking about!

19. scifi451 macrumors regular

That is what I was thinking but I am not sure.

20. TMJ1974 macrumors member

I've been considering this program and am already in some development classes (Simulation and Digital Entertainment major). Of course, I've been eyeing up that discount ;-)

Question for ya.......how do you like the 12" PowerBook. I want a laptop and am debating between the 12"/15" PB and 14" iBook. Some, but not all, of what I'd run on it could use AltiVec (point for the PB). The 12" has seemed very hot on my "wish list" trips to the Apple store. What do you think, since you use it. Also, without the L3 cache, how snappy is it?

Any honest opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Tim

21. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

Apple's site is actually quite confusing about the terms of the stuent ADC purchase. I've seen some places that say you need to be a just a student, and I've seen other pages where it said specifically that you needed to be in development related classes. Regardless, I made the switch to Mac last summer (bought my powerbook the day after MWNY, just had to make sure there were no upgrades, even though I highly doubted it) using the ADC discount. I knew I was going to make the switch soon so I actually joined the ADC program the first week of May, so maybe having then waited 2 months effected how I was treated, but this is what happened with my order...

When you first join the ADC program and fill out the application online it asks your occupation. If you select student you are then required to give the name of the school you attend and your ID#. I did this and joined the program no problems-- I was never asked to send any verification, not my ID or schedule.

When I then made the order for my powerbook 2 months later everything again cleared without question, and I again was asked for NO proof.

I really am a student, although I am not taking any development classes, so it's not like I took advantage of the situation or anything, but unless Apple has changed their policy they don't always ask for verification of student status. Take this as you will, but I would hope that only students take advantage of this great offer from Apple, so as not to ruin the ADC program for others.

I hope this can help to answer the questions of all the students here thinking of joining ADC. If you want to know anything else about my experiece, please feel free to ask.

Elan

22. evil thread starter macrumors 6502

the way i see it for you is that if youre looking for a new laptop and are concerned about speed you should write off the ibook right away.
    then you have to decide between the 12 and 15 incher.
    as you may know the 15 is due for an upgrade, so i would suggest either wait for that or pick up the 12 inch.
    as far as my personal experience with the 12-i havent run that much of the big programs yet, but so far it seems just fine for what i would need. i use fcp and i am sure it will be better then my last ibook..thats about all i can suggest.
    if you are really concerned about getting a powerhouse laptop. you may want to wait to see what they do with the 15, though it may not be much more.
    hope i could help

23. scifi451 macrumors regular

That is what I am doing, waiting for the 15' to ugraded when ever that is.

24. MetallicPenguin macrumors 6502

I'm learning HTML, plus I'm learning it for an Apple dedicated site. Would I be legitiment for a discount?

PS: You canget dicounts from the ADC membership or buy it through your school if they let you.

25. GigaWire macrumors 6502

one trick that i didnt intend on being a trick, but worked anyway is that if you order a computer, you have to buy the periphs you want then, like an AE base station, iPod etc. then, once that asset is spent, you can order no more. well i ordered a powerbook with base station, 11mbps airport card (for someone else). i later cancelled the powerbook, which by then the other stuff had long since been shipped. so later this year i ordered again, and got an entirely new round of periph discounts. so i suppose i could cancel this powerbook, and continue on like this forever. the ADC student program is not so strict as many here would have you believe; and i've talked plenty to the developer reps, and gotten no flack for my bizarre ordering, or any questions about my school affiliation.