Apple Products Sold @ Costco ??????

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by amir12, Jan 12, 2004.

1. amir12 macrumors newbie

Hello I need to purchase a new computer.

Conditions:

1) MUST buy computer/laptop from CostCo.

2) MUST be a Mac laptop/computer :D

My Question: Does anyone know or have any ideas if Costco will ever sell Apple computers either directly from their website or from there many warehouse locations

I believe I read somewhere that they used to sell the old iMacs about 2 years ago. Has anyone herd anything or have any idea?

Thanks in Advance.

2. DIGITAL macrumors newbie

I dont believe they do and i dont believe they ever will.
    Why?
    Because Costco is a wholesale store. And 99% of the computers they got there are under $500 and are usually emachines. I dont think they really care about the quality of computers they sell its just the price that matters to them, the cheaper the better.

3. amir12 thread starter macrumors newbie

You are mistaken... they sell all types of computers.

Many of their Dells are $2000+, the crappo $500 eMachine ones are there too but they also sell "better" Gateway, HP, Dell, Toshiba etc...

http://www.costco.com/frameset.asp?trg=category.asp&catid=84&log=

Most of what's on the website are also sold at my local warehouses.

You can also buy customized Hp/Compaq Computers from their website. Have another look and I think you will be surprised because even though most of their consumer products are wholesale, their PC computer selection is actually not that bad. And since they sell "fairly new and high end" Dell and HP/Compaq Laptops I guessed that Apple may be an option.

4. DIGITAL macrumors newbie

nevermind then. it just seems only thing my loacal costco sells are emachines, i never saw anything else. emachine laptops and desktops thats all i c.

5. kenkooler macrumors regular

I don't know in the US but here Costco sells $1500+ PDAs and $2000+ computers but no Apple products.

6. mzlin macrumors member

An alternative idea

Sorry, I think you're stuck. Why does it have to be from Costco? If you have store credit or want to earn some kind of Costco/Amex points, maybe you can buy something else, sell it on ebay where buyers always seem willing to pay retail price for new unopened items, and then use the proceeds to buy an Apple.

Michael

7. DIGITAL macrumors newbie

The reason i think he wants to buy from costco. is i BELIEVE (dont count on it tho) but i believe with computer products you can return it within a year for a new pc. For example

you buy a computer for 600 dollars. 9 months later it gets really outdated. you take it back to costco and you get $600 towards your next pc. Im not absolutly sure they do this but iv heard about it.. somwhere

8. lind0834 macrumors regular

Price/Costco Here doesn't sell any computers :(

I think it's like trying to find an iPod at Walmart. :rolleyes:

9. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

10. amir12 thread starter macrumors newbie

------------------
    -------------------

Reason is because i have large amount of store credit there.

When a store/company starts out as an exclusive wholesaler, sometimes it is difficult for the public to detach that image even though their entire consumer electronics section, and several other sections deal in retail.

Costco sells mostly FOOD in bulk, NOT electronics and jewelry etc...

They do not sell bulk packs of HP laser printers or a $10,000 bulk pack of Dell computers... They sell mostly FOOD in bulk and electronics as normal retail.

However, depending on what part of the US you live in, your local costco may not be as "developed" as the Costcos in the more crowed US cites. I live in Los Angeles, so mine look huge warehouses that sell tons of food in bulk with a decently sized electronics section and other non-food sections which sell roughly the same items as those found on www.costco.com, and even more that do not appear on the site.

I have seen for a long time that they DO sell computer products and computer upgrades which some cost over $2000+/$3000 (Well into Apple territory, although all I want is a $1599 12" PB), and I also remember the comment that someone posted about seeing an iMac sold long ago, so I thought it may be possible in the future for Apple to be sold there; this is why I made the post.

Thanks to all who have helped.

11. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    i saw an eMac a while ago at the one near me, but it was gone the next time i was there.... if you have alot of credit, jot down all the models of tv's they have, and check ebay to see if any of them are selling good.. get one and put it up.

12. amir12 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestion... that may be my last resort.

About the eMac sighting.... Could u please let me know which store you saw it in? You live in Los Angeles so they would pretty much all be near me. I knew there was a chance i could find some kind of apple product at costco. Also do you happen to remember how many months ago it was? Last Summer about?

Thanks

13. BaDBoY macrumors member

wayyyyyyyy back.. i dont know when, but they DID use to sell mac products. no kidding. but that was when the performas and other stuff were still "up there." Remember those games like spin doctor and... i forgot that one vector tank game... oh well...

the fact is they did sell them before, but i have no idea why they stopped now. i havent seen a mac product in there ever since

down in fremont, CA

14. chicagdan macrumors 6502a

The Costco website details all the computers and peripherals that Costco sells. No Mac, but they sell some Apple software (such as Panther) off their website ...haven't seen it at the Chicago Costco store.

15. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

it was the Alhambra store (10 blocks from my house), they had it for like maybe 2 weeks at most... i can't remember when, but it was when first came out... I think i saw a tangerine iMac way back when as well... but yeah, haven't seen anything since...

16. amir12 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll give them a call and ask, ill probably get nothing but its worth a shot.

I guess i'll just buy a TV or a new digital camera or something.

It's ok, i'll keep saving for a G5 PB whenever they come out (i predict 2004 3rd Q- 4th Q)

Thanks for all of the help again

17. pgwalsh macrumors 68000

pgwalsh

I'm not sure how quickly you need this computer, but I believe Apple dumps old inventory into costco...

18. scamperwillow macrumors newbie

My neighbor got an iMac at the Santa Rosa costco here - but that was a couple years ago.

19. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

I saw a graphite imac like 3-4 years ago, havnt seen anything since

20. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

it's not hardware but..

I was at costco getting muffins for the office today, and I saw that they had turbotax for mac... $44.95, whereas i couldn't find the mac version at staples.

21. DavidCL23 macrumors 6502

I'll buy your store credit from you, how much do you have?