Apple products you'd like to see?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by zelmo, Dec 10, 2004.

1. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Add your own, trash these, comment on why it'll never happen, have fun:

• iPhone - Moto/Apple team up to launch the iPhone. iSync compatible, slider phone with 512MB flash, color screen, USB 2.0 port. Basically a flash iPod that slides open to reveal a keypad for phone use, while utilizing the click wheel to scroll though menu's of contacts, etc. Will also store photo's on the flash drive for viewing on the color screen. $400

• iMac Mobile - Tablet Mac, OS X, iLife, 8" widescreen display, 1.0 GHz G4, 256MB RAM, 40GB 1.8" hdd, 64MB GPU, Airport card, CD/DVD player. Sufficent ports for transfering data (FW 800, USB 2.0), connecting to TV or projector (AV out), headphones/ext speakers. A basic palmtop computer and personal DVD player. $900

2. iGav macrumors G3

Silver keyboard (the white ones just don't cut it with the Power range)

iPhone, I suppose, not really though about the specs.

Remote control, this is a must.

Director/iShell style app.

3. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

OK I'll be the one to say it...G5 Powerbook!

Other than that, some sort of iBox Home Entertainment System a la Tivo incorporating iLife.

4. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

I second iGav's remote control. I'd also like to see some sort of stand alone media center type device with a massive hard drive - I don't always want to have to stream my files to the stereo or plug the laptop into the TV. Very inconvenient.

5. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I want a luggable iMac: something designed to move around the house, weighing around ten to twelve pounds. It would "live" in your stereo rack, where you could use it like a TiVo to control your TV, but with access to all your iPhotos, iMovies, iTunes, etc. You could use your TV as a monitor for surfing the Web, etc, but it would also have its own monitor so it would work on its own.

6. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

iPhone/PocketMac/iPod - Something versatile so that I do not have to carry around so many different items. 80GB storage, a PocketPC keyboard built in, a PocketPC version of OSX running it, the ability to view photos, movies, and listen to it like a regular iPod. Plus cell phone capabilities.

iBox - so I can wirelessly (or in a hard drive) store media that I have on my computer for use on my living room stereo or my television.

iTheater - an app that uses the H264? (new QT encoding video technology) to compress video (easily like iTunes does audio) so that I can keep lots of movies stored on my computer (without all of the time it takes to use 3rd party apps to compress it). This could also be used for video on an iPod.

iShades - some Apple sunglasses that allow me to listen to mp3's/AAC's (like the new Oakleys, but by Apple) and hooks up easily to the Mac.......since I am not allowed to wear MP3 players in the marathons I run in.

Aluminum Colored (non mini) regular iPods........I'd like to have the non-scratch factor of the minis on the regular iPods along with some color choices (and not a U2 iPod)

iPod Pro/DJ - something that allows you to fade back and forth b/t music and adjust tempo....perhaps dual screened.

7. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

iPhone :cool:
    iPod/PDA (Better input methods)... :confused:
    iOffice with 100% MS Office and Openoffice compatible :rolleyes:

Not sure about the last 2 but give my iPhone...

8. jsalzer macrumors 6502a

jsalzer

All I want for Christmas

ClarisWorks 7

PDA with MacOS 9.3

ClarisWorks 7

Return of the black mouse with the apple *etched* into the clear plastic.

ClarisWorks 7

Powerbook G5 in a Pismo body.

Keynote with Timing Controls!!!

And, of course, ClarisWorks 7.

9. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

10. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

11. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Amen.

12. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Quad G5 (dual core or not, doesn't really matter) support for high end video cards.

I like the iRemote (Blue Tooth makes this easy - and it doesn't even have to come from Apple) and wireless, 2 button and scroll wheel mouse.

D

13. zelmo thread starter macrumors 603

zelmo

A recap:

• Keyboard - a new Apple keyboard, silver in color to compliment the look of the Power line. A reasonable request, and about time, too. Wouldn't think we'll see that until the next rev PowerMac is announced.

• Mouse - three separate requests, a silver mouse to match the Power line, a black version similar to the older ADB Mouse with a debossed Apple logo on the face, and a Scroll wheel multi-button mouse. I'll consolidate those into a request for a silver multi-button scroll wheel mouse with the Apple logo debossed into the surface. This'll come out when Hell freezes over (at least as far as the multi-button scroll aspects are concerned).

• iRemote - another item high on several Christmas lists. Maybe we can combine this one with the flash iPod product, and have a item that acts as the remote for Airport, allows you to copy playlists from a host Mac, and also has about 512MB flash drive for playback when used as a iPod micro. Do I get good crack or what?

• iWork - a catchy new name for Apple's Office compatible suite, formerly and separately known as Appleworks and Keynote.

• iBox - Some sort of Tivo/DVR device that connects your computer n/w to your entertainment system, a la Windows Media Center, but far better. Wow.

• PowerBook G5 - This is just crazy talk, a G5 processor in a laptop. Jeesh!

• iTheater - new iLife app that uses the new H264 codec to compress video for greater storage and easier viewing on the...

• vPod - Updated version of the iPod photo that plays back video. Where's that 1.8" 120GB hdd, Toshiba? Don't answer, or Steve'll pull the order!

• PowerMac G5 Quad - We will generously allow Apple to release either a quad processor or a dual dual-core processor PowerMac.

• iPhone - Moto/Apple team up to launch the iPhone. iSync compatible, slider phone with 512MB flash, color screen, USB 2.0 port. Basically a flash iPod that slides open to reveal a keypad for phone use, while utilizing the click wheel to scroll though menu's of contacts, etc. Will also store photo's on the flash drive for viewing on the color screen. $400

• iMac Mobile - Tablet Mac, OS X, iLife, 8" widescreen display, 1.0 GHz G4, 256MB RAM, 40GB 1.8" hdd, 64MB GPU, Airport card, CD/DVD player. Sufficent ports for transfering data (FW 800, USB 2.0), connecting to TV or projector (AV out), headphones/ext speakers. A basic palmtop computer and personal DVD player. $900

Can't wait for MWSF 2007! :D

14. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

iHungry - an OSX driven toaster oven that just works.

15. zelmo thread starter macrumors 603

zelmo

Why do we need an iHungry? We already have the PowerBook G4 :p

16. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

NEW POWERBOOKS

I want a new PB. Give me something with either a Dual-Core G4, or a G5. I'd even take one made of pinball parts if it had a FSB than the current ones.

17. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

Want:
    iBox
    iPod Flash (or iPod Sport or iPod Micro or whatever)
    iWork
    iPDA

Do Not Want:
    iPhone -- for some reason this just seems to me like a very bad idea

18. ThomasJefferson macrumors 6502

The above list is most excellent and would make me a happy camper.

However, I would like to suggest the ... iLawnMower.
    For the obvious reasons.

To be followed by the iMargarita.
    USB 2.0 of course.

19. Eric_Z macrumors regular

Personally I couldn't care less for any of the suggested iGadgets (sorry guys), so I won't comment on them.

<la la land> I'd like to see a desktop lineup, H1-05, with something in the style of:

PowerMac | Dual dual core (970MP), SLI GFX, Dual opticals, 4HD bays, SATA-2, RAID. (Same price points, but without the one occupied by the single 1.8Ghz, $1999-$2999)

iCube | Single dual core (970MP), single PCI-e 16x slot, single optical, 2HD bays, RAID, SATA-2, one expansion slot on each side of the GFX slot ($999-$1699)

iMac | Single single core (970GX), allmost same as current but with some minor tweaks like SATA-2 support, PCI-e GFX and a BTO option for better GFX, if possible a second HD bay and thus RAID ($999-$1699)

Note: The thought of the iMac & iCube on the same price point is that you choose between power + expansion [iCube] or (even) slick(er) formfactor + nice screen [iMac].

eMac | Same as before but with minor tweaks </la la land>

20. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

iCube is a nice idea, but I don't think it will ever fly again. Expansion should be all or nothing, that's what was the problem, you couldn't do much with a cube and it took up space. The iMac is a much more elegant solution and if you need expansion, get a real desktop.

Today and external firewire800 makes multiple drives in the machine almost unnecessary.

D

21. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

I want to see:

-Dual 3+ GHz PowerMacs w/lower prices
    -G5 PowerBooks
    -17" Apple Cinema Aluminum Display (Widescreen)
    -Aluminum fiber optic backlit keyboard for the PowerMac (maybe just make the backlighting an option?)

I would like to see the 17" Widescreen Aluminum display because someone like me who wants a PowerMac G5 doesn't necessarily need a 20" display, nor do I want to spend $1200 for one. Not everyone wants a huge display, nor do they have the room for a 20" widescreen display, nor does everyone want to pay $1200 for a display to match the PowerMac. If Apple could develop a 17" Widescreen Aluminum display with just USB 2.0 Ports on the back and sell it for something like $799 then I think that would be a seller. Leave the FireWire Ports for the higher end displays. That would also make the $1499 PowerMac extremely affordable if you're someone who needs to buy the display too. $2100 for a PowerMac + Display thats expandable with plenty of power is a damn good deal IMO.

I think an Aluminum Backlit keyboard for the PowerMac would be awesome! Even just make it an $80 or $90 option. An aluminum keyboard would complement the PowerMac very nice. The current keyboards are very ugly and HUGE dust, and other crap collectors. I agree that the white keys with the Aluminum PowerMac just doesn't look right. Apple should of at least shipped a clear keyboard with black keys like the old ones. That would look a little better than the white keys.

22. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Must have:

Powermac G8 at 2.3 Ghz dual core. But, it only has 1 stage pipeline while the Pentuim 6 has a 500 stage pipeline at 5 Ghz dual core. The Athlon76 has a 300 stage pipeline 5 Ghz dual core. The G8 will max out at 5 Ghz on a 1 stage pipeline. Apple will supply 256 TB of ram, a Radeon 9800XT, and a 2 GHz FSB.

Powerbook G8 at 2.8 Ghz dual core 1 stage pipeline. Apple sees that laptops is the future and give them a faster CPU. Apple gives the Powerbook a hefty 100 TB of ram, 5000 TB HD, 2.3 Ghz FSB, a Ati X1500 at 1 GB of Vram, and a 8 month fuel cell battery.

iPod G8. Yes, apple gave the iPod a computer CPU. This is though a 1.6 Ghz dual core 1 stage G8. The HD maxes out at 100 TB giving us 1 million songs. It uses a fual cell battery and lasts 4 months

The G8 is made by IBM. The G8 uses 10 Watts of power and gives out a maximum 130 degrees F. Freescale now makes x86 CPU's but, when the G9 comes out freescale goes under.

The Pentium 6 has the performance of a 350 Mhz Pentium 2 and users stop buying intels chips and falls with freescale. AMD's Athlon76 has the speed of a 2.4 Ghz Athlon64.

23. MacNeXT macrumors 6502

I'm surprised this one's not been mentioned:

A desktop enclosure, eMac style without a display. Low-budget: cheaper than the Power system. It should be able to compete with cheap wintel systems. It will make a lot of people to switch.

Freedom to buy your own display. One AGP slot and one PCI slot. Doesn't have to be high range, it could be a high end G4 or a low end G5. Not all of us need (or can afford) the power of a PowerMac.

But ofcourse, that's not gonna happen.

24. TLRedhawke macrumors 6502

I'm surprised no one has suggested this. Perhaps I'm the only one who reads Crazy Apple Rumors. Nevertheless, it has to be said:

Sexbots.

25. solaris macrumors 6502a

solaris