Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following last week's news of a mysterious Apple-leased vehicle roaming the streets of Northern California, an Apple employee has given some details to Business Insider, suggesting Apple is working on a project that will "give Tesla a run for its money."
After writing about how the van could be used for a self-driving car, we got an unsolicited email from an employee at Apple about "vehicle development" at the company. [...]

"Apple's latest project is too exciting to pass up," the person said. "I think it will change the landscape and give Tesla a run for its money."
According to the site's source, who was verified to be an Apple employee, Tesla employees are "jumping ship" and choosing to work at Apple because of this unidentified project.

Last week's pictures unveiled a van that appeared to have multiple cameras on the top, similar to the vehicles Google uses for mapping. Given the van's similarity to other mapping vehicles, rumors have suggested that it is likely for an unspecified mapping project. Apple has been working to improve Maps in recent months, and it's possible the company is working on a feature that would compete with Google Street View.

applevan1-800x372.jpg
Photo of Apple van via Claycord
Other speculation has ranged a bit more towards the fantastical, suggesting that Apple is perhaps working on a self-driving car, but this seems unlikely due to Apple's tendency to focus on just a few products at a time. "We have zero issue coming up with things we want to do, said Tim Cook last January. "We must focus on the very few that deserve all our energy."

As Business Insider suggests, one probable project that could pique the interest of former Tesla employees is CarPlay. CarPlay, which brings an iOS-style interface to in-car infotainment systems, is still very much in the early stages. In the future, CarPlay, which is being built directly into many cars, could expand to offer a Tesla-style feature set. With the Tesla iPhone app, Tesla owners can turn on heating, lock and unlock doors from afar, flash the lights, and more.

Deeper integration between iOS and in-car systems is also easily imaginable, given Apple's desire to allow users to transition easily from device to device, as with its new "Continuity" iOS 8/OS X Yosemite feature. In October, Apple CEO Tim Cook hinted at an expansion of Continuity and suggested it would be incredibly important going forward. "Use your imagination and think about where Continuity goes," he said.

Given the ambiguity of the employee's statement, it is, of course, possible that the project in question is not even car-related and is something all together different.

Earlier this month, Tesla CEO Elon Musk directly contradicted the Apple employee's suggestion that Tesla employees are tempted by what Apple has to offer. In a report outlining the many employees Tesla has poached from Apple, Bloomberg spoke to Musk, who said "very few people" had left Tesla for Apple, despite Apple's offer of a $250,000 signing bonus and 60 percent salary increase.

Article Link: Apple Working On Project That Will 'Give Tesla a Run for its Money' Says Employee

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
The only projects that could justify that comment are a car or a spaceship.

tommyboy21

macrumors member
May 22, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
Don't get me wrong, I love Apple. But moving into the car business seems crazy. Let's focus on computer, tablet, and smartphone hardware and software that runs flawlessly...then we can branch out...to watches. :)

MikePLP

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2014
Don't get me wrong, I love Apple. But moving into the car business seems crazy. Let's focus on computer, tablet, and smartphone hardware and software that runs flawlessly...then we can branch out...to watches. :)

Wait, one thing that the Apple critics like to say is that Apple don't have new products. So, now they're getting criticized because they ARE working on new stuff?

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
I would have thought it would have made sense for Apple to purchase Tesla back when they were a $20 billion company. After all, to many people a car is simply their biggest and most expensive gadget. But there is no way that Apple is developing their own car. A self driving system, perhaps, but Google has been working on that for years and they are nowhere near ready for prime time.

It's hard to imagine what "giving Tesla a run for their money" means, but short of a car or self driving system, I can't imagine what would deserve that kind of hyperbole.

Neepman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2008
An Apple self-driving car could be great. As long as it uses Google maps for navigation!

MikePLP

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2014
I'd rather an Apple/Tesla partnership or merger or something. Starting up a car company takes an enormous amount of effort/scale, something Tesla is only just now beginning achieve.

Tesla is overpriced(stock price) right now, so there's no way Apple will do any type merger.

Who has more resources than Apple to do something like this?? My guess is this would be pretty much a separate division within Apple(ala Beats) and wouldn't affect other parts of the company.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
A van with cameras on the top and Apple giving Tesla "a run for their money." Connected, in what possible way?

This is the Logic Police. Feet back and spread 'em!

MikePLP

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2014
I like Tesla, but it would be great if Apple comes out with a competition. Competition is always great, right? Isn't that what you Apple haters always say?

DevNull0

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2015
A car with the vehicle firmware stored on iCloud? Lose your network connection and your car crashes. Literally.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
Wait, one thing that the Apple critics like to say is that Apple don't have new products. So, now they're getting criticized because they ARE working on new stuff?

Different critics say different things. It probably isn't one person contradicting themselves.

It is a worry that Apple might spread themselves too thin. More items are becoming hi-tech, and so of interest to Apple. The Watch for example. Cars are becoming much more hi-tech and already involving Google. So I see potential for Apple interest.

But I do hope this is about mapping and a quicker way to get flyover data. Hopefully they can also start to get the basics right, such as street names that start with "St", not "Saint" as Apple has them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.