Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's quarterly iPhone sales may beat Wall Street estimates, based on new data from Morgan Stanley analyst Katy Huberty. According to the firm's AlphaWise Smartphone Tracker, Apple could sell as many as 39 million iPhones in the second calendar quarter of the year, beating Wall Street's predicted 35 million and topping the 31.2 million sold in the same quarter last year.

alphawise_2q14_iphone.jpg
Huberty believes iPhone sales will get a boost this quarter due to deep discounts on iPhone upgrades that entice consumers to buy a new iPhone, despite the upcoming rumored launch of the iPhone 6. Apple recently launched a promotion that encourages customers to trade-in their old iPhone and receive credit towards an iPhone 5s or 5c. Apple is offering iPhone 4 users up to $99, while iPhone 4s owners can get up to $199 as a store credit, making an upgrade to a subsidized iPhone 5s virtually free.

Carriers and third-party retailers also have discounted the iPhone in recent weeks, with Best Buy last month offering up to $200 trade-in value for customers who bring in an older iPhone and upgrade to an iPhone 5s or 5c. To maintain this sales momentum, Apple also may start selling the iPhone along with contract-free calling and data plans for T-Mobile and AT&T.

Morgan Stanley's "AlphaWise" smartphone tracker compiles sales data using Google Trends data and historically is more accurate at forecasting iPhone sales than Wall Street consensus estimates, although Huberty may still tweak her numbers in the closing weeks of the quarter.

Article Link: Apple Projected to Beat Wall Street Estimates with 39 Million Quarterly iPhones Shipped

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
I'm guessing the smartphone market has been growing as well. I wonder what their market share this year vs last year is? All I know is I see a lot less people with iPhones then I used to.

I'll use my friends as an example. We were out grabbing food and 6 had Androids 2 had iphones. Year of the iphone 4 it would have been the reverse.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
Wall Street: Apple projected to beat Wall Street projections

Hm.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
If its just iPhone users trading up then its really just a Wall Street revenue story, not an iPhone momentum story. A iPhone user who trades up in June isn't going to trade up in Oct. The real story will be if the iPhone 6 = people switching from Android or non-smart phones. That is where actual growth is shown.

elev8d

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2008
I spilled water on my iphone 4 yesterday. I was like three more months, just need 3 more months to live. Turned it off and it was working this morning... phew! :D Probably would've gotten a Nexus 5 in the interim had it died.

sshambles

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2005
Australia
Considering the iPhone 6 is around the corner, this is pretty impressive. Personally, I wouldn't be buying one if I knew a later model was close-by, but having sales no doubt helps, big time.

arbitter

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2010
Belgium
You can't forget they barely started in China, making it relatively more easy to grow. I'm wondering whether they are also growing significantly in US and European markets, where they already have quite some market share.

GuitarDTO

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
This could be a typical analyst "pump" scheme. Rest assured, if they do not beat earnings estimates and the stock tanks, said analysts will not take responsibility for being wrong in their projections. Either way, the real story in Apple's stock future will be how well received any new product announcements are, and how strong the iPhone 6 demand really turns out to be. I am holding my shares because I believe the demand pent up for a larger iPhone is massive.

Nothlit

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2009
Wall Street: Apple projected to beat Wall Street projections

Hm.

No kidding. Katy Huberty *is* a Wall Street analyst. Therefore, if Apple delivers 39 million iPhones this quarter, they will have met, not beaten, "Wall Street estimates".

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
What's a "Quarterly iPhone"? An iPhone you have to drop a coin into to make a call?
User: Siri, I've lost my quarter. It's my last quarter.
Siri: Oh, no, sir. Siri is a completely free service. When you switch off, your quarter will be returned.
User: Not this time! I heard in go in there with all those other quarters.
Siri: Siri cannot argue with a closed mind. Why don't you try switching off?
User: I can't take the chance! You've stolen my quarter!
Siri: Apple computer wouldn't steal your quarter. Apple computer gets millions of quarters every day. They wouldn't single out your quarter to steal!
User: Is there someone else I can talk to? Can I go over your head?
Siri: We do not work with our heads. I can connect you with the managing supervisor, Samantha, who won't be able to help you either, if you want to give it a whirl. Hold the line.
Samantha: (sultry) Managing Supervisor Samantha. May I help you?
User: Oh, Samantha!
Samantha: There, there. You go ahead and cry. You've lost your quarter!
User: (sobbing) No! She TOOK it!

Daronk

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2014
Really surprising. Totally fed up with my tiny iphone, if the larger 6 weren't on the horizon, I would be ready to jump ship... :mad:

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
I'm guessing the smartphone market has been growing as well. I wonder what their market share this year vs last year is? All I know is I see a lot less people with iPhones then I used to.

I'll use my friends as an example. We were out grabbing food and 6 had Androids 2 had iphones. Year of the iphone 4 it would have been the reverse.

I'm seeing the opposite. iPhones everywhere. And the one friend I know that has an Android, he got it free at his carrier.

----------

This could be a typical analyst "pump" scheme. Rest assured, if they do not beat earnings estimates and the stock tanks, said analysts will not take responsibility for being wrong in their projections. Either way, the real story in Apple's stock future will be how well received any new product announcements are, and how strong the iPhone 6 demand really turns out to be. I am holding my shares because I believe the demand pent up for a larger iPhone is massive.

Apple is going to explode by December. Look for easily $125 a share...EASILY.

Jakexb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2014
Dear god Katy Huberty stop stop stop stop. Apple stock is FINALLY doing well. The last thing we need is overhyped expectations going into earnings. Follow guidance, they aren't lying.

M-O

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
Future headline: "Apple fails to deliver new hardware products as they beat quarterly estimates"

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
"Apple expected to release dark green razor-sharp iPhones that morph into jelly-filled dragons," reported one analyst in a drug-induced euphoria.

They can predict anything they want. But the only way we'll get the truth, it seems, is for someone to forward the comment to Jim Dalrymple and wait for his one-word response.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
No kidding. Katy Huberty *is* a Wall Street analyst. Therefore, if Apple delivers 39 million iPhones this quarter, they will have met, not beaten, "Wall Street estimates".

Exactly, though the actual story is that Morgan Stanley is forecasting at the higher end of Wall Street for "quarterly iPhones shipped."

Still, this story should be accompanied by an oxymoron alert. MR would feel badly if they didn't make our brains hurt at least once a day. They scored twice in the one story.

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012
This honestly is nothing short of amazing considering we're over half a year past the release of the latest model. I cannot wait for this fall's releases.

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
I'm seeing the opposite. iPhones everywhere. And the one friend I know that has an Android, he got it free at his carrier.

Yes but have those people pretty much always had iphones since it's existence? They don't count as new customers where as myself and 3 friends switched to Android. I just see more people moving to Android right now then vice versa.

If notifications become more fully functional like Android's in ios 6 I would consider a return but right I find my nexus 5 is currently more efficient to use and customizable which I like.

Also Googles service's are multiplatform most of apples aren't so I would still mostly use Google services on an iphone which lessens my leanings to going back to an iphone.

I guess it would come down to which hardware I prefer (probably the iphone 6) price (Android) operating system (neck and neck both have their pluses and minuses) and customization (Android)

fallenjt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2013
Apple's Still Doomed (sarcasm)

With stock split and will go to $100/share pretty soon or all time high within the next few months...Larger iPhone 6, iWatch, new larger iPad, MacBook Air with Retina, new Mac Mini, Apple TV, iOS 8, OS 10 Yosemity, HomeKit and HealthKit accessories and who knows another category at 5.5" screen device (iPhone?, Apple-Gamepad or god know what other name...)...with the healthy product pipeline, it's enough to shoot the stocks to the sky. Still, some numbnuts still says Apple's doomed. Wait and see.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.