Apple ProMouse Gone!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by iMacZealot, Aug 15, 2005.

1. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

Mar 11, 2005
    If you look at the Apple Store webpage, it no longer has the Apple ProMouse, the single-button, white, oval mouse.

This article states that the ProMouse still comes with new Macintosh computers, although is no longer sold by itself.

This article also talks about the dwindling supply of the 4GB iPod Mini.
  2. JupiterTwo macrumors 6502

Mar 29, 2003
    I'm a little surprised at this to be honest. I'd have thought that Apple would have carried on with the one button mouse.

Does this mean we'll lose the BT mouse to become a BT Mighty Mouse? probably, but it'll be a shame. I've started to enjoy the simplicity of one action/button mouse :eek: :)

I should give the MMouse a go, but it does look kinda ugly to me at the moment
  3. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

Mar 11, 2005
    They still have the BlueTooth ProMouse, it's just that they removed the tethered ProMouse.

I was very unimpressed with MightyMouse. I personally like the single-button mouse better, plus I like the way the ProMouse is semi-transparent.
  4. treblah macrumors 65816

Oct 28, 2003
    How much does everyone think Apple will charge for the MightyMouse BTO?
    I am gonna figure that since the 'regular' was $29 and the MM is $49, they will charge $29 for the BTO. ;)
  5. ravenvii macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Melenkurion Skyweir
    Even though I have the wired Mighty Mouse, I can't wait for them to come out with a wireless one. I'll buy it on day one, just like I did with the wired version :D
  6. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jul 14, 2005
    *my first mac rumors post from a PC (at an airport). I have to say, I couldn't even find the time on this thing to see when I had to board. I had to check the bottom or the MR page :) .

Anyway, remember that the Mighty Mouse ships as a 1 button mouse and then you have to configure it later. (I have only heard this as I don't own a MM...yet.) My plan is to wait for my iPod settlement credit, and hopefully by then it will be BT.
  7. supergod macrumors 6502

Jul 14, 2004
    I'm going to eventually pick a Might Mouse up, but I still find the design of it to be somewhat half baked. Apple is abandoning their transparent plastic heritage, which is understandable as they are always trying to stay "fresh", but the new mouse just isn't as polished as the old one. I think the recessed Apple logo was an interesting idea, but the way they've implemented it the overal apple is less apparent than if it were grey: in addition, this style of apple hasn't been used on any computer product to date so it begs the question of "why add another design"? Unless we start seeing recessed apples on future products, which would make me very unhappy.

If they wanted to really change the aesthetics of the mouse, why didn't they go with an anodized aluminum accent? Even better: a backlit symbol that goes on when the computer is in sleep mode could have been extremely cool. It would make the mouse look "alive" with the gentle pulsing of light.
  8. jc27 macrumors newbie

Aug 10, 2005
    Are they still including it with the desktops?

I thought the Mighty Mouse was going to be a premium mouse, more expensive than the normal, in both wired and blutetooth form. It makes no sense that their cheapest mouse is $20 more expensive than the keyboard. I'm disappointed.
  9. jaw04005 macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Apple discontinued the "Pro Mouse" awhile back when they discontinued the
    "Pro Keyboard."

Both the pro mouse and keyboard came in white and black. The pro mouse had a sensitivity adjustment wheel on the bottom near the optical sensor. The pro keyboard had a slightly different layout, the USB ports were located on the top left and right, and it also included a num-lock button.

Apple has actually discontinued the newer "Apple mouse" that has shipped with new computers over the past few years. It does NOT include sensitivity adjustment wheel, and only came in white.
  10. jdechko macrumors 68040

Jul 1, 2004
    Oh man, that would be pretty sweet. It might make for some complications on the BT model, though. You'd have to be able to still turn the mouse off to conserve battery; mainly when you weren't using the computer (ie: Sleep), so it might end up being pointless on the BT model.
  11. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    You don't have a watch?
  12. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

Mar 11, 2005

I knew that, although I called it the ProMouse in my original post so people wouldn't be confused if I just said "Mouse." Saying only "Mouse" can leave a lot open. The Mouse and ProMouse look the same, except for the early ProMice that came in black, and the tension adjustment on the back is different.
  13. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

Mar 11, 2005
    Yes, the old mouse, ProMouse, Mouse, or even Modest Mouse :) comes with new Macs. (Call the mouse whatever you like.) It's just that if you need a new mouse, all you can get is Mighty Mouse. The Modest Mouse is gone.

Forgive my pun.
  14. puckhead193 macrumors G3

May 25, 2004

I forgot about that.... ummm....worth the hassle?
    i like my apple bluetooth mouse so "simple"
  15. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    It would make more sense for Apple to charge the $20 difference. Although I think that the new mighty mouse would come standard with a new Mac. Will just have to wait and see what they do with Bluetooth Model. Hopefully it will be the same as the current price.
  16. mduser63 macrumors 68040

Nov 9, 2004
    Salt Lake City, UT
    The original (one-button) mouse for my Mac II, which is sitting about 10 feet away from me at the moment has a recessed Apple on it, in roughly the same place as on the Mighty Mouse. It was purchased new in 1987. So actually that style of Apple has been used on Apple computers before (several times).
  17. ravenvii macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Melenkurion Skyweir
    I just put my BT Apple Mouse on eBay today, and gave it one final look before packing it, and I'll have to say, it does look much better than my Mighty Mouse. Heavier, more solid and cooler looking. It really is a great mouse, and the build of the Mighty Mouse feels more $10 than $50. I hope when they come out with a BT version of the Mighty Mouse, it will have the more "weighty" feel of the BT mouse. Yes of course the batteries will make it heavier by default, but with the Mighty Mouse, you notice how the side thingies aren't QUITE flush with the main body? That you can "shift" it a bit? It's not as solid as the BT mouse, not as flush. That's one thing I hope they fix with the BT version.
  18. Xephian macrumors 6502a

May 2, 2005
    United States
    I hope they include the Mighty Mouse in Macs instead of the original mouse soon. :)
  19. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

Jul 26, 2005
    So does my one-button mouse "Apple Desktop Bus Mouse II" that came with my B&W off eBay.
  20. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    Why should I waste money on a watch when I can just pull out my laptop, wake it from sleep, check the time, sleep it again, and put it back away?

Sorry, I'm just making fun of the people who use the "cellphone excuse" for not having a watch :p

Getting back on topic, as joshua said, it's the "Apple Mouse" that seems to be gone, not the Pro Mouse. I still have a Pro Mouse :)
  21. jaysmith macrumors regular

Aug 13, 2005
    my only plee is for the BT mighty mouse to have a dock. they could make the dock so nice looking, and we wouldn't need o change batteries all the time.
  22. mouchoir macrumors 6502a

Apr 29, 2004
    London, UK
    surely if a mouse is wireless then it is no longer a mouse, but more like a hamster...
  23. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2005
    :( But what makes this worse is that it's still £15 more than the keyboard!
  24. mpw Guest

Jun 18, 2004
    From a previous thread
    Yeah right, and I only buy Playboy to read the articles, I never look at the pictures!
  25. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

Mar 11, 2005
    Yes, we established that a long time ago in this thread. I used the "Pro" so people wouldn't get confused if I just said "Mouse," which leaves a lot open. The ProMouse and Mouse (The Mouse, Apple Mouse, or Modest Mouse, choose whatever) are the same design from the top, (The early ProMice were black) and the ProMouse had the tension adjustment at the bottom.