Apple Proof-of-Purchase Coupons

Discussion in 'Community' started by Daveway, Jan 1, 2005.

1. Daveway macrumors 68040

Jul 10, 2004
    New Orleans / Lafayette, La
    My iMac is my first mac i bought new so i have all the original documents. In the box were these Proof-of-Purchase coupons. They read: "to get Mac OS updates and other special offers from Apple, you'll need these coupons as proof that you purchased the Mac OS X software. Be sure to keep these coupons : you can't use copies."

What am i supposed to do with these? Do i get a discount off of Apple software?
  2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    That's a very good question – I've been wondering about these myself ever since I found them when looking through my G4 stuff recently.

Anybody ever used these before? The green ones?
  3. Daveway thread starter macrumors 68040

Jul 10, 2004
    New Orleans / Lafayette, La
    yea. they're green and you can cut them out and fill the back out.
  4. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    I think they're some sort of joke by Apple....

I've never ever found a single use for them. They don't seem to apply to anything. If anyone has even been able to use them ("ever" in a "since OS X" sense), I'd be happy to hear about it!

Likewise, the Pro card touts discounts. Haven't seen any of those, either. I got it free when I turned in the one I got with my G5 last year, but I won't be renewing that either.
  5. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

I don't see the point to them.. Maybe they were printer to deter theft or something. To keep non-mac users from buying Mac OS??? :confused:
  6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Apple might make use of them once every 50 years or so.

They're there in case Apple runs a promotion, or some software licensing nazi stops by, otherwise they're as usefull as a welcome to Microsoft message.
  7. Blackstealth macrumors regular

Apr 27, 2003
    Bradford, UK
    I've never found a use for them since OS X was launched, but I remember using some grey ones once, many moons ago, to get a free copy of the OS 9.2.1 update CD.