Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pegamush

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2011
well.. the vaio pro 11 HAS the sd card reader, and it weighs less than 2lb/900g.
that's not an excuse not to put the reader on the 11" mba.

i don't think this will ever come out in a production model, i remember a patent from years ago for a collapsable rj45 jack to fit in a slimmer port, but we never saw it!!

geronimo789

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2010
If you look closely at the diagram, you will see that the USB pins are facing the same direction as the SD slot. So it should only add width to the existing opening.

Yup, I think I shot the picture in the correct orientation no ? (read: how they would insert in the slot).

As you can see, the bottom (filled up) side of the USB is just about as thick as the SD card. (it looks like the sd card is slimmer in the pic, but that's part optical illusion, and part the slight angle i'm holding the connector at :)

----------

Call me crazy, but do that many people still really use SD cards? For a company that has a history of removing 'legacy technology' from products (floppy drives, optical drives, Firewire, ethernet), it doesn't seem like them to create a new connector that incorporates SD.

I'm sure all the photography folks on here will disagree with me, but I'm just curious to see how many average users use them.

The SD card is a vital port of my favourite device; my beautiful canon 550D (rebel T2i for the US folks out there).

But if the device I wanna use it on doesnt have a usb I just plug in a usb cable between the laptop and camera, or use the small (but slow) pen drive reader i always have in my camera bag.

A built in reader is a lot nicer though.

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
the bean counters are truly cheap if this is do do this on macbook pro or macbook level machines.

I don't know of anyone saying SD card slots take up too much room. or the same for USB.

What the heck, Apple is so cheap they don't want to pay for 2 different slots?

nuts.... but i guess that's something that can happen if accountants are in charge.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011

dolph0291

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2011
Not happening

Apple filed this patent in 2011. If they were interested in using this port configuration, they would be using it already. They would not wait for it to be published.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Yup, I think I shot the picture in the correct orientation no ? (read: how they would insert in the slot).

As you can see, the bottom (filled up) side of the USB is just about as thick as the SD card. (it looks like the sd card is slimmer in the pic, but that's part optical illusion, and part the slight angle i'm holding the connector at :).

Oops, my brain skipped over the word "nothing". :(

geronimo789

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2010
the bean counters are truly cheap if this is do do this on macbook pro or macbook level machines.

I don't know of anyone saying SD card slots take up too much room. or the same for USB.

What the heck, Apple is so cheap they don't want to pay for 2 different slots?

nuts.... but i guess that's something that can happen if accountants are in charge.

Erm,

1) I'm pretty sure this combined slot is a lot more expensive (R&D, manufacturing) than just sticking with what they have
2) Who says it's going to replace two ports ? It may just enhance one of the ports that are already there, turning an existing SD card slot into a combo with the added benefit of having an extra USB.

1member1

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2012
if you can use them both at the same time that can be good idea.. but i think it won't happen.

Kranchammer

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2010
Kahleefornya
Nothing too original. It has been done with eSATA/USB.

I'm confused, there was a combo USB port/SD card slot on the eSata/USB port?

Or, wait, you mean someone thought of combining two ports in one? GASP

How unoriginal Apple, why'd they bother getting a patent on this specific SD/USB port design when an eSATA/USB combo has existed already? :rolleyes:

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
if you can use them both at the same time that can be good idea.. but i think it won't happen.

No, there's no way you could use them both at the same time. However this is probably intended to bring an SD card slot to the 11" MacBook Airs.

Last edited:

ChrisCW11

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
Lol

Very nice engineering, Apple.

Yes, the engineering behind combining eSATA and USB obviously pales in comparison, or the fact that people have been combining x in 1 slots and ports for decades.

Way to combine two things together Apple.

BTW, why didn't Apple patent combining a toaster with a refrigerator?

HMI

Contributor
May 23, 2012
I'd like to believe Apple would add an additional USB port to their devices, but my gut is telling me that they would first use this to make their devices thinner (keeping the same number of USB ports as they have now) and thinning out the areas where SD cards exist now, before later removing SD cards altogether as "obsolete" technology.

TMay

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2001
Carson City, NV
I'm glad other companies have already been combining ports for a few years, so luckily Apple probably won't get this patent.

Some examples:

Sony combines Thunderbolt and USB 3:
http://notebooks.com/2011/05/18/son...0-combo-port-to-life-with-ultimate-mobile-pc/

eSata + USB (2008):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESATAp

Be advised that the USB org was none to pleased about using USB 3.0 for a carrier of TB, and soon after the miniDP connector was selected for the TB standard. Sony's combo was an interesting experiment, but a dead end.

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
If they did we'd probably still be using floppy disks, PS/2 ports, optical drives and wired internet!

Some of use our networks for more than Internet access. Ethernet is not a legacy port.

Here comes the iMacPad!

An iPad with a detachable MacBook base! iOS when it's out, OS X when it's in!

Funny, I remember back in the day people speculating about an iMac that was kind of just a shell you could stick your iBook into and have it function like a desktop when it was in or a laptop when it was out.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
Cool... now Apple will be able to sell a new proprietary USD cable for only $49.99.

Forget SD cards, make it microSD :cool:

While this sounds good, reality is its another new item that could end up being a little used proprietary highly costly Apple only connector.

Apples target market customers that shop at Walmart don't care about such things.

Conversely Apple might have something of value for future profit.

Uh, the whole point of this bit of engineering is that it accepts standard USB cables, and accepts an SD card. It'd mostly be useful for giving the rMBPs a third USB port where the SD slot is, without having to change the layout of the ports much.

that1guyy

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2011
This depends on whether I am still able to use the SD card slot and the usb port, not one or the other. Or if it is a third usb port combined with the sd card slot then its fine as well. I don't want to give up one for the other Apple.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
This would be cool for the 11" MBA, but otherwise I would rather just have them separate so that I can use them separately.

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
Also, big problem with combining ports is that you can only use one of them at a time, or you'd have to go buy an adapter to use them at the same time. Now there's something Apple surely won't do right ? Creating more adapters at 29 bucks for people to buy :)

If they can replace a USB slot with a USB/SD slot, it's an improvement. You wouldn't need any more adaptors than before. I just don't want to see the full SD card slot go away because I don't use micro/mini SD.

----------

While this sounds good, reality is its another new item that could end up being a little used proprietary highly costly Apple only connector.
It's clearly designed to take a regular SD card (mico or mini, not sure what size) in addition to USB. What's proprietary about that?

DavidMarks

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2013
Some of use our networks for more than Internet access. Ethernet is not a legacy port.

Absolutely, what I meant was the advent of wireless networking into the 'mainstream' (AirPort in the iBooks, back in '99)

Funny, I remember back in the day people speculating about an iMac that was kind of just a shell you could stick your iBook into and have it function like a desktop when it was in or a laptop when it was out.

That would be some twisted transformer thing there! :D Sometimes you can pretend Apple products are legos and start mixing and matching in your head. Or it's just too much MacRumors.

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
If they did we'd probably still be using floppy disks, PS/2 ports, optical drives and wired internet!

Most of the Internet is wired. All of the backbone is, at least. As for wired ethernet ports, I am never replacing mine with wifi because wifi is not reliable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.