Apple Protectio Plan

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Patmian212, Apr 14, 2004.

1. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

I want to buy an ibook when the updates are over. Most likely in the next 4 weeks.
    I wanted to know if its worth spending $249 on The protection plan which extends the warranty from 1 year to 3 year warranty.

Give me your thoughts people!

2. freeflydrew macrumors member

3. crowdaddy macrumors regular

Does anyone know if the wireless card for the x-box would be compatible with the Airport extreme base station?

4. Palad1 macrumors 6502a

Palad1

I just lost my keys, have you guys seen them?

I think you posted in the wrong thread crowdaddy ;)

Pat: Yes, go for it, you may end up not using it at all, but losing 250 bucks is still a better bargain than losing 800 because some hardware failure occured 13 months after you bought your ibook.

Cheers
    PaLaD1

5. Patmian212 thread starter macrumors 68020

Patmian212

what

Whats wrong with the ibook? You´re scaring me!!!!! :confused:

6. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

No reason to fear, the iBook is a solid machine. My wife purchase one in July 2001. She had to put a new HD in July of 2002. The Apple Care if important on any Mac.

7. lasuther macrumors 6502a

One of the best things about the Apple Protection Plan is that you can buy it at any time before your factory warranty expires. There is no reason you have to buy it now.

I'm going to wait until my 1 year warranty is about to expire, and then evaluate if I want the APP. I do plan on buying the APP in Jan '05.

lasuther

8. krisjon macrumors regular

The bottom line is iBooks and Powerbooks have the portability factor that makes them more susceptible to things (like bumping and getting knocked around) that could cause problems down the road. They're tough machines, but as with any electoronics, there's still a fragile factor. Apple Care is just good piece of mind. I wouldn't necessarily buy it for a desktop machine, but anything that moves around a lot just makes sense.

9. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

I have a PB 17 1.33 that I have used AppleCare twice for. Once for a bad SuperDrive and once for a display issue. AppleCare took care of everything for "free." Would have been expensive without AC. I highly suggest purchasing AC.

10. Patmian212 thread starter macrumors 68020

Patmian212

this seems like the most reasonable option. thanks for the advice!! :)

11. DreaminDirector macrumors 6502a

DreaminDirector

Ask me a year ago and I would have said to not buy it. But the recent problems that Apple seems to be experiencing has made me rethink it. I mean with all the white spots on powerbook LCDs, Logic board failures in iBooks, fan problems in the G5 PM and that nasty CRT problem the eMacs had, I would now recommend Apple Care. It just ends up protecting you from Apple's mistakes in the long run.

12. crowdaddy macrumors regular

oh man it's been one of those days, wrong thread!! Sorry about that

13. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

i'd caution that if you actually damage things by "bumping or knocking around" the iBook/PB, AppleCare will not cover it. it's not an insurance. it's a warranty against manufacturing defects. for example, if you dent the case, AppleCare will not repair it for you because that's an accident.

the reason it makes a bit more sense for laptops is because laptop components are very much integrated - one dead part may necessitate repairs beyond just the part that's dead - and NOT because it's mobile. if damage is done because of you moving the laptop, then that's an accident, not defect. for desktops, components are more accessible and chances are, you won't have to repair much beyond what's actually dead.

you should know exactly what you are getting before making a decision on it.

i waited a year and decided that i didn't want it for my PB. i personally figured that the $350 (PB AppleCare) would be better spent toward a new PB if this one failed... and i'm betting that it will be fine for another year or two, at the very least. (knock on wood.)

14. gemio17 macrumors regular

Also, if you have a visa card- they'll double the original manufacturer's warranty and give you the option to extend (depending on the orig price-for my 15" pb it was 119 for 3 additional yrs. so a total of 5 yrs) your warranty up to whatever many yrs. (up to 5 I think)

something to think about....I haven't decided whether I'm going with ac yet. They'll also replace the unit if you have the same problem 3 times- it's actually really great coverage!

15. DreaminDirector macrumors 6502a

DreaminDirector

Yeah, that is good logic as well. I try to update every 2 or 3 years. Lately it seems like every 2 (or less...)

16. kaylee macrumors regular

kaylee

i dont know if this is an international thing, or australia only, but 3 years of warranty is included for no extra cost if you purchase with education discount, which in australia is available to k to 12 teachers and staff, and uni (and selected colleges) staff and students.