Apple Protection Care.. worth it? what does it do?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by maxy123, Aug 3, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

Jul 29, 2012
    Hi guys, as many might seen me posting my questions for my new 13" MBA 2012. I haven't purchased any Apple protection care. Do I need it? Today there is an offer to purchase the protection care.

What does the protection care does? what kind of repairs they offer? Can anyone tell me the examples? Since I'm new to Mac, I want to know before I purchase this one.

Note: Usually I'm maintain my electronics very well, so would I need this one?

2. macrumors Westmere

May 16, 2008
    AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac or Apple Display

• You can buy AppleCare any time during the first year warranty period, so you don't have to buy it at time of purchase.
    • You can check your remaining warranty and/or AppleCare coverage here
    • AppleCare will extend the 1 year warranty for an additional 2 years, for a total of 3 years coverage from the date of your Mac purchase.
      It also extends telephone support from 90 days, which is included with your original warranty, to a total of 3 years.
    • You cannot buy AppleCare again or renew it once it expires.
    • Neither the Apple Warranty nor AppleCare will cover damage from accidents, spills, etc. They only cover manufacturing defects.
    • AppleCare+ provides some coverage for accidental damage, but is only available for the iPad and iPhone, not for Apple computers.
    • Neither the Apple Warranty nor AppleCare will cover batteries that have worn out. They only cover defective batteries.
    • For more detailed questions, read the AppleCare Protection Plan (pdf) agreement.

As to whether AppleCare is worth it or not, that's a matter of opinion. You'll find lots of opinions on both sides, with roughly 75% saying it's worth it. You really need to decide if it's worth it to you. If you want more information, you can search the forum, where you'll find dozens, if not hundreds of threads asking "is AppleCare worth it?" The overall consensus seems to be about 75% in favor of it.
  3. macrumors 6502

Sep 23, 2007
    Before you decide either way, take a look at the steeply-discounted price of AppleCare from certain third-party resellers, such as B&H Photo Video.
  4. macrumors 6502a

Aug 1, 2003
    Area 51
    The laptop's are made in China and not the highest quality, compared to Macs made years ago. Not to get off topic, but I've got Macs from the '80's that are still running while I typically have to replace the Chinese made crap every 3-4 years in my office.

You used to never hear of people using Macs having problems, but now it's very common. So, that's a good reason to look at AppleCare. The reason not to look at it is that Apple's folks are prone to accuse you of dipping whatever you send in for repair in water or dropping it to get out of making the repair. Personally, I've had good luck with them, but I've known plenty of others who have had their repairs denied because of the reasons I mentioned.
  5. macrumors 68020

Aug 13, 2011

I was wary of AppleCare as well when I bought my first Mac in 2009. When the HDD failed(Western Digital's fault), I qualified for a repair to be done in my home. The service tech came to my home and repaired everything and my computer was new again. He even cleaned out the computer and double checked all the connections to make sure everything was right. In my case, AppleCare was definitely worth it.
  6. macrumors 6502a

Jan 1, 2011
    I think is is worth it. I've never need it (knock on wood). It it is just worth it for me for the peace of mind.
  7. GREEN4U, Aug 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2012

macrumors 6502a

Mar 24, 2010
    Lol. That's BS. It doesn't matter where it's made. It's the design and manufacturing process, which would be the same if they did it here in the US. It's just cheaper to do in China. And what machines from the 80s are you still running? Lol.

Ever since I became an AmEx holder, AppleCare is worth less to me. I mean, it'd only be 1 extra year of warranty. $200 for the 3rd year, on a machine that costed only $1000-1200 isn't really appealing to me.
  8. Joined:
    Aug 4, 2012
    No....It's not ********. There is a HUGE difference in QC. I am as big an Apple fan as anyone here, been using them since my first SE30 in 1987. I will continue to use them but the chances of getting one that 100% is slim to none. I feel that if manufacturing was stateside that Apple could keep a much better eye on quality, sure they have people in place at Foxcon and wherever else they make these things but work ethics in China suck, I know.
  9. macrumors 6502a

Aug 30, 2011
    The minimum repair charge, labor plus parts will almost always exceed what you would have paid for AppleCare.

There is a life cycle reason the regular warranty only covers a year.

AppleCare will get you the full three years for a small additional percentage.

It will make the machine whole and in some cases even upgrade you to a newer platform.

AppleCare has replaced batteries for me that had not exceeded their charge cycle count but were far below capacity.

Have bought it and would rather depreciate a machine over three useful years rather than one or two.
    I will buy it again.
  10. macrumors member

Jun 12, 2012
    How could anyone possibly entertain answering this question? It's asked several times a day.
  11. macrumors Westmere

May 16, 2008
    ... but only once by the OP.
  12. macrumors 6502a

Mar 26, 2009
    I am an amex holder as well, platinum, what were you referring to in terms of warranty?
  13. macrumors 6502a

Jun 27, 2010
    Why are you answering so in detail? (just curious).
  14. macrumors Westmere

May 16, 2008
    Why shouldn't I? The OP asked several questions. Why not provide answers?
  15. macrumors regular

Jan 31, 2008
    black card here.. wassup?

now that we are done comparing our internet epeens.. most amex cards (green, gold, plat, etc) give an extra year of warranty if the purchase was made using amex.

16. macrumors 6502a

May 6, 2008
    West Coast
    The MBA is likely safer than most computers because their is no HDD or optical drive, so no moving parts. That said I treat my MBP like a baby, no problems until a month ago, I now have had the logic board, battery, and HDD replaced. I go out of AppleCare in three weeks, was it worth it the past two years when it went unused, absolutely, because those repairs exceeded $1k.

If buying a brand new computer unexpectedly is no big deal for you you may not need it, but then you can afford to buy AppleCare. I think it's worth it for the peace of mind.
  17. macrumors 6502a

Jun 27, 2010
    I'm not saying you should not, I'm just curious why your answers are so detailed. Do you enjoy it? (I really don't try to troll here, it's just the first time I see a person that is answering everybody with such detailed responds and I'm impressed).
  18. Deeps, Aug 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2012

macrumors regular

Feb 28, 2011
    Nottingham, UK
    I have a HSBC Premier credit card and this also gives an extra year of warranty on purchases.
  19. macrumors 68000

Jul 28, 2011
    It's mostly copy pasta from his threads I think.
  20. macrumors Westmere

May 16, 2008
    After years of answering thousands of the same questions and knowing what follow-up questions are frequently asked, I have compiled and refined answers that address many of these. Rather than answer one at a time, and have a thread go back and forth with multiple exchanges before their questions are answered, many have found it much more helpful to have many of their questions addressed by a single post. They can use what information applies to them and disregard that part that they already know or doesn't apply.
    I don't use copy/paste. I use a text expander.
  21. macrumors newbie

Jul 31, 2012
    It would cost me £199 to cover an £860 purchase :eek:

Is there a cheaper way of getting it? Surely Amazon SquareTrade is a better option to cover 'costs' at only £80?
  22. macrumors Westmere

May 16, 2008
    If you qualify for an education discount, that would help.
  23. macrumors 68000

Jul 28, 2011
    HE store gives you the 3 yr warranty for no extra, if you happen legible for it.
  24. seared.ahi, Aug 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2012

macrumors regular

Aug 5, 2012
    To the person who asked, Amex doubles the manufacturer warranty when you pay for an item with your AmEx card. This effectively gives you 2 years of warranty on Apple products. They also give you 3 months of theft or damage protection for 3 months from date of purchase. When you file a claim they can reimburse you up to the amount you put on your AmEx card. You also need to show proof of Occurance, so for example a police report, insurance claim, or Genius Bar quote/receipt.

If you split a purchase, say put only $750 on AmEx for a $1500 laptop, Amex will only reimburse you up to $750.
  25. macrumors newbie

Jul 31, 2012
    I did purchase via the online HE store.

Where can I find out if I have the 3 year warranty?