Apple Protection Plan

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by friedymeister69, Feb 3, 2006.

1. friedymeister69 macrumors member

I am about to order the new 17" iMac with the intel core duo and I was just wondering if the apple protection plan really pays. I have been building and fixing computers forever but how prone are iMacs to breaking proprietary parts like the motherboard or the LCD?

Isthe $169.99 protection plan really worth it?

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Well, it adds 2 years of warranty protection for ~$0.25/day. Worth it to me, maybe not to you.

3. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

mcgarry

Also, keep in mind that you don't have to decide immediately; you can buy the remaining two years anytime during your first year (though phone support expires after 90 days unless you buy the 3-year plan, if that matters to you).

4. seh80 macrumors 6502

seh80

I personally wouldn't buy a Mac without it. I haven't had any trouble with either of my computers, but I still feel so much better with the protection.

I wouldn't imagine that a Mac is going to give you a lot of trouble... but if something does happen, you're sure going to be thankful to have it. JMO!

5. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Every computer I didn't buy extended warranty on, had failures. :(

Nevertheless, I wait until about 1 month before Apple standard warranty ends, before I buy Applecare. Keep your money until you need the APP.

6. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I bought it for my iMac (in Sig) if that matters...

I was told by someone who really knows Macs well that I really should.

I haven't needed it yet, but I still am glad I bought it.

7. discoforce macrumors 6502a

discoforce

Granted, I bought a powerbook not an iMac, but I'm on my 4th screen which would have cost me about $4000 :eek:

I'd buy it.

8. Flyinace2000 macrumors 6502a

Flyinace2000

Is that total or per screen. Cause if its per screen they are ripping you off. The most a laptop repair with a new screen will cost is about $1300.

BTW: I abought APP with my PowerBook. The iMac's APP is so affordable i don't know why you woun't buy it. Use it once and it is more than paid for.

9. discoforce macrumors 6502a

discoforce

That was my guess for the total amount I would have paid if I hadn't purchased Apple Care (4 screens x $1000 each). My cost = $0.00 :D