Apple Protection Plan

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by friedymeister69, Feb 3, 2006.

1. friedymeister69 macrumors member

Jan 23, 2006
    I am about to order the new 17" iMac with the intel core duo and I was just wondering if the apple protection plan really pays. I have been building and fixing computers forever but how prone are iMacs to breaking proprietary parts like the motherboard or the LCD?

Isthe $169.99 protection plan really worth it?
  2. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    Well, it adds 2 years of warranty protection for ~$0.25/day. Worth it to me, maybe not to you.
  3. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

Oct 19, 2004
    Also, keep in mind that you don't have to decide immediately; you can buy the remaining two years anytime during your first year (though phone support expires after 90 days unless you buy the 3-year plan, if that matters to you).
  4. seh80 macrumors 6502

Sep 2, 2005
    Chicago, IL USA
    I personally wouldn't buy a Mac without it. I haven't had any trouble with either of my computers, but I still feel so much better with the protection.

I wouldn't imagine that a Mac is going to give you a lot of trouble... but if something does happen, you're sure going to be thankful to have it. JMO!
  5. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

Mar 15, 2005
    Every computer I didn't buy extended warranty on, had failures. :(

Nevertheless, I wait until about 1 month before Apple standard warranty ends, before I buy Applecare. Keep your money until you need the APP.
  6. EricNau Moderator emeritus

Apr 27, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    I bought it for my iMac (in Sig) if that matters...

I was told by someone who really knows Macs well that I really should.

I haven't needed it yet, but I still am glad I bought it.
  7. discoforce macrumors 6502a

Jan 27, 2004
    Vermont, USA
    Granted, I bought a powerbook not an iMac, but I'm on my 4th screen which would have cost me about $4000 :eek:

I'd buy it.
  8. Flyinace2000 macrumors 6502a

Sep 28, 2004

Is that total or per screen. Cause if its per screen they are ripping you off. The most a laptop repair with a new screen will cost is about $1300.

BTW: I abought APP with my PowerBook. The iMac's APP is so affordable i don't know why you woun't buy it. Use it once and it is more than paid for.
  9. discoforce macrumors 6502a

Jan 27, 2004
    Vermont, USA
    That was my guess for the total amount I would have paid if I hadn't purchased Apple Care (4 screens x $1000 each). My cost = $0.00 :D